N64 Appreciation Thread

6 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

PAL N64s will always output a 50Hz PAL signal.

There was a discussion about this over on the Krikzz forums and apparently PAL N64s can indeed output a 60hz signal:

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5881.0

Back in the day I used to only play JPN carts on my PAL console via a Passport III adaptor and they were definitely full screen and speed. 

I think I was lucky to have a TV that accepted PAL60 over composite.

Absolutely, ED64s are multi-region (older ones need a switch toggling for PAL / NTSC) so I guess you'll find out how nice your telly plays with a PAL console being forced into an NTSC mode.

My old telly from the early 2000s was weird though; it could handle NTSC games properly via a PAL N64 & composite but hated my Saturn in NTSC mode via RGB (50hz only). 

9 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

I had to flip the little switch on mine to work as mentioned above, since it's an older model, but I definitely got it wrong on the 50Hz FOR LIFE assertion I made so there you go! :lol: 

PAL

IMG_6422.thumb.jpeg.8914d7deecf645731064138923ad1577.jpeg

Everdrive 64 v2.5

IMG_6425.thumb.jpeg.931a22f03fbf7ce21a14f82a35277b72.jpeg

NTSC/PAL60/???

IMG_6426.thumb.jpeg.4a1ba7b65141e61d94c42144d63bace2.jpeg

(Bonus) The mess I made for science!

IMG_6430.thumb.jpeg.423561b3133b95275e7649884f00f3ff.jpeg

Did you actually play again games after that or go ‘ok then, that works’ and walk off. I’ve done that a few times I can tell you. 

I ran around the castle for a minute or so doing cartwheel jumps, and one does when playing SM64. 

I tried a few other games too but they were ones that I remember having borders by design like Pilotwings 64. 

Looking into the model of my PAL N64 I learned it supports S-Video, so I tried that out and... the picture is different, but not sure I’d call it better. 

Time to figure out why and what I can do about that. Want to see if I can improve it without a €100 RGB mod!

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

Looking into the model of my PAL N64 I learned it supports S-Video, so I tried that out and... the picture is different, but not sure I’d call it better. 

Time to figure out why and what I can do about that. Want to see if I can improve it without a €100 RGB mod!

If memory serves S-video is the best you can get sans RGB. Maybe.

I understand the jump in video quality between s-video and RGB in N64s to be significantly less pronounced than between composite and s-video.

On a rough scale of 1-10 (continuing in the pursuit of science), worst to best, for non-'funtastic' N64s, this is how I understand it:

RF: 1

Composite: 4

S-video: 9

RGB: 10

For the colourful-shelled variety I believe you can bump all the scores up by about a point. Apparantly.

I tried s-video vs RGB on my US SNES and they’re close, but mine isn’t 1CHIP so maybe a little blurry. 

I’ve got a US N64 with the amp mod so can use that to compare with the smoke grey PAL version. 

On 31/03/2021 at 08:51, Colonel Panic said:

I ran around the castle for a minute or so doing cartwheel jumps, and one does when playing SM64. 

I tried a few other games too but they were ones that I remember having borders by design like Pilotwings 64. 

I think SM64 is the most magical game I've ever played. Not my favourite, but it was just awesome and inspiring at the time, the first fly, spinning Bowser :wub:

On 01/04/2021 at 14:53, McFly said:

I think SM64 is the most magical game I've ever played. Not my favourite, but it was just awesome and inspiring at the time, the first fly, spinning Bowser :wub:

It still is. But somehow I've never enjoyed the 3d ones as much as mario world. Or maybe any game so that's unfair.

What is mind blowing about sm64 is that it arrived in 1996. People talk about quake being revolutionary, it doesn't come close. Same with Goldeneye , it's just so much more impressive than quake and running on a cheap (in comparison) console. I've heard that quake pioneered some graphics algorithms, but always wondered that some of those early N64 programmers must have figured these out in parallel. For example this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root

Edit: that's quake 3 so probably not. But there's others that get attributed to ID. It's always made me wonder how N64 games were looking as good back then though.

Edit again: this is what I mean: https://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/papers/ddjpvs.html

10 hours ago, bplus said:

It still is. But somehow I've never enjoyed the 3d ones as much as mario world. Or maybe any game so that's unfair.

What is mind blowing about sm64 is that it arrived in 1996. People talk about quake being revolutionary, it doesn't come close. Same with Goldeneye , it's just so much more impressive than quake and running on a cheap (in comparison) console. I've heard that quake pioneered some graphics algorithms, but always wondered that some of those early N64 programmers must have figured these out in parallel. For example this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root

Edit: that's quake 3 so probably not. But there's others that get attributed to ID. It's always made me wonder how N64 games were looking as good back then though.

Edit again: this is what I mean: https://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/papers/ddjpvs.html

Yeah I agree with you (about preffering Mario World too). Quake and Goldeneye were evolved versions of Doom or Wolfenstein etc, great as they are. Mario 64 was nothing like any game around. 

21 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

if it's anything like the other hdmi n64 mos it'll cost a fortune. If not I'll be on it like a shot.

Guaranteed it will cost a fortune, unless you're willing to solder it yourself.

It's not going to be cheap but I'm treating myself as things have all come together very recently. I've got an Everdrive and just want to get the best signal out of my 64.

It's a system that holds a lot of nostalgia for me as I played these games with my daughter when she was a toddler. She was well trained and still thrashes all and sundry at Mario Kart which always takes the lads she works with by surprise. I'll let you all know how much it does cost when I get it done. 

12 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

Has anybody else looked at this HDMI mod for the 64? I've stuck in a pre-order with a modding company in Nottingham for one as they are expected soon. I'm going to get them to recap my 64 whilst they mod it.

https://www.pixelfx.co/

PixelFX is the company formed by the people behind the DCDigital and PS1Digital - HDMI mods for the Dreamcast and PlayStation. They are absolutely fantastic bits of kit and I recommend them wholeheartedly without reservation. I'd expect the N64Digital will be just as fantastic.

Alright, price is a reservation because they tend to cost more than the consoles do these days. But it's a small business operation, they're not produced in massive quantities, and they're very niche, so it's to be expected. If you can afford them, get them, because they're brilliant.

LaserBear are doing a 3D printed port for the new mod which means no hacking at plastic.

It looks way nearer that way. 

I’ll probably mod my own machine, although the pitch of pins on N64 is pushing the limit of my skill and eyesight without good magnification!!

12 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

It's not going to be cheap but I'm treating myself as things have all come together very recently. I've got an Everdrive and just want to get the best signal out of my 64.

It's a system that holds a lot of nostalgia for me as I played these games with my daughter when she was a toddler. She was well trained and still thrashes all and sundry at Mario Kart which always takes the lads she works with by surprise. I'll let you all know how much it does cost when I get it done. 

I've got an everdrive too, I've recently given up on the quest to get a decent picture with all my consoles. I've just gone full emulation instead. But it can be patchy with an N64. Even on retro arch I've found one of the emulators still has the timing bug so double jump on Mario 64 can't be done. Which means you can be in the situation where you dunno if it's you or the game that isn't working properly.

I just can't be arsed digging out consoles and setting up my ossc anymore.

However I do have a toddler and hopefully I'll be playing mario kart 64 with her in the years to come too :)

2 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

I got a PAL specific S-Video cable today and the PAL smoke N64 I’d been using to decorate a shelf actually displays a good picture!

@Colonel PanicWhere did you get it from? My S-video cable is a piece of unshielded shit and throws up massive ghosting on the image.