N64 Appreciation Thread

Yeah, that controller and it's modern clones are well loved, probably even considered the gold standard N64 pad.

The analogue mapping might not be quite 1:1 with the regular one though, from what I understand (easily measurable with a controller test ROM).. and that's the key issue with other kinds of N64 controllers, that the tech used for the thumbstick in an OG three-prong controller was exclusive to it and seemingly impossible to perfectly replicate. Obviously a non-issue for many games (such as the D-pad focused ones) but for others the difference in fine control gradients could affect what the gameplay was meant to feel like.

Having called the regular controller unfairly maligned I do concede that unlike pretty much every other controller it does benefit *a lot* from a couple of inexpensive add-ons, ones I personally consider mandatory:

- A drop of the aforementioned silicone grease to eliminate the plastic-on-plastic thumbstick friction and trademark N64 controller 'dust', and

- Soft silicone / rubberised thumbstick covers (ones designed for the Switch fit perfectly - and can also be used to improve the feel of the hard Dreamcast sticks).

Ek9_O-7XYAQnr6g.jpeg

12 hours ago, ianinthefuture said:

HDMI definitely has that crispness you notice with DC VGA yeah, but it's a better quality signal (pure digital, I believe, versus DC VGA being analogue) so it's all super-crispy crisp.

I did have deblur, but there's still a level of softness to it even through the OSSC. Softness isn't a bad thing at all, the console was designed around the fact tellies could only do certain sorts of images back then after all. I think a fair bit of it does come down to personal preference, and I'm just more of a fan of crispyness. And spending money I don't have on things I don't need so I can make videos nobody will watch etc etc.

Right, I didn't realise it improved the picture that much! Currently I only play N64 games on retro arch as the picture is so awful from a real console (plus goldeneye at 60fps and 1080p looks very good!)

On 24/10/2020 at 00:06, spanky debrest said:

Yeah, that controller and it's modern clones are well loved, probably even considered the gold standard N64 pad.

The analogue mapping might not be quite 1:1 with the regular one though, from what I understand (easily measurable with a controller test ROM).. and that's the key issue with other kinds of N64 controllers, that the tech used for the thumbstick in an OG three-prong controller was exclusive to it and seemingly impossible to perfectly replicate. Obviously a non-issue for many games (such as the D-pad focused ones) but for others the difference in fine control gradients could affect what the gameplay was meant to feel like.

I recently watched a Mario 64 speedrun from GDQ 2018, and there were a few times where they mentioned that the Hori pad's analogue directions are slightly off compared to a real stick.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Managed to acquire an original N64 controller with a stick that's actually tight! The one I'd been using recently was ok (I've used much much worse), but still a little loose. This one is a revelation, and probably as close to new as I'm likely to get with any used controller.

Set me back £30 but worth every penny so far - already beat a few Diddy Kong Racing TT ghosts I was struggling with before. It's going nowhere near Mario Party!

19 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

Managed to acquire an original N64 controller with a stick that's actually tight! The one I'd been using recently was ok (I've used much much worse), but still a little loose. This one is a revelation, and probably as close to new as I'm likely to get with any used controller.

Set me back £30 but worth every penny so far - already beat a few Diddy Kong Racing TT ghosts I was struggling with before. It's going nowhere near Mario Party!

You can buy decent stick replacements for them, that plug straight into the main PCB, but they are not cheap, last time I bought some ( a good 18 months, perhaps 2 years ago ) they were £10 a piece, bloody good though and brought pads back to full life :)

• 2 months later...

Played through Diddy Kong Racing a few weeks back. Loved it! It still holds up.

Also, tried Retro Replay over the weekend. Banjo-Kazooie and Conker is still fun from what i played.

On 10/08/2018 at 19:25, Lorfarius said:

Can't believe we don't have one of these!  Fancied getting my hands on an N64 again so picked one up with FZero X, Wipeout 64 and Turok 2 in a nice cheap bundle.

N64 a.jpg

Then went on a shopping trip for a nice pile of games, some great stuff in a local indie shop:

n64.jpg

Got a load of ebay auctions finishing tomorrow so will be investing in some decent games.  Did buy a couple of memory paks but they are buggered and won't save games!  Really annoyed as they format fine and save the data but as soon as you restart they just don't work so on the look out for official ones if anyone has some spares that are working!

Also spent a couple of days working through the N64 Glenn Plant Youtube channel. He's been reviewing the games for years and helped me pick out lots of good games.

Its maybe been mentioned or you've maybe moved on, but Sin and Punishment is a bloody great Treasure shooter.

23 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Played through Diddy Kong Racing a few weeks back. Loved it! It still holds up.

Also, tried Retro Replay over the weekend. Banjo-Kazooie and Conker is still fun from what i played.

It is a pity no one, from memory, ever really copied the game style. open world adventure but with courses that you can sometimes use up to three vehicles (car, hover and plane) on. It was a really innovative game and it is very sad the formula never got revisited in any meaningful way. 

21 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

The American market for retro has gone absolutely bonkers.

I think it largely comes from people in the UK wanting the better stuff and there being such high competition for it. I was interested in buying the US version of Star Soldier but someone else can pay £210 for it. I'll seek out a Japan version instead as it's a quarter of the price.

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

A good one but expensive though!

Really? I had years ago and it was cheap. Guess I'm out of the loop :huh:

Edit: just had a look and I had no idea it £100+ for cart only!

1 hour ago, strider said:

I think it largely comes from people in the UK wanting the better stuff and there being such high competition for it. I was interested in buying the US version of Star Soldier but someone else can pay £210 for it. I'll seek out a Japan version instead as it's a quarter of the price.

I think PAL territory folk play a part, but even handheld games that don't have PAL/NTSC differences are (even more) crazy over there.

2 hours ago, strider said:

Amazingly it's cheaper than a US version of Mario Kart 64 :lol:

Nah, surely not, I know USA MK64 has gone up, as I've stuck a speculative £45 on one on eBay ( unboxed :p ) But fully expect to get haggled a lot on it, and would drop a decent amount on it, as I say , speculative :)

1 hour ago, strider said:

If you're after one, I do have a boxed JPN region at home, it's a bit rough round the edges, but am thinking of having a rejig of my main display shelf, it currently sits next to my copy of S&P, but no greaat love for it, so it'll be going at some point, cash or trades ;) 

1 hour ago, McFly said:

Really? I had years ago and it was cheap. Guess I'm out of the loop :huh:

Edit: just had a look and I had no idea it £100+ for cart only!

Always check sold listings, it should be around £60-70 fully boxed, £100 cart only is well over priced.

34 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Quick question, does anyone know if the EverDrive 64 forces a PAL console into PAL60 or NTSC mode when running NTSC ROMs?

Hmm. I think you need the right everdrive for the right region. Im not sure if it forces stuff

My understanding is that a PAL N64 with an Ever Drive will play NTSC roms at 60hz which might be problematic over composite (depending on your TV). If it's RGB-modded, I imagine you'll be less likely to have issues.

I "think" you either have to stick a region chip in the back, and thus can choose the region ( this is what I did with a clone that came my way ) or stick in a cartridge on the top for the region pass through thingy, this is of course only first hand experience of a clone Everdrive, not an official Krikzz job.