N64 Appreciation Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/04/2020 at 15:00, strider said:

I've now started playing Yoshi's Story and you know what? I think it's really good. Granted, I can see why it wasn't everybody's cup of tea on release (2D, easy, basic mechanics etc) but if you treat it as a score-based game it's actually incredibly challenging. Keep on dying on the final world and now on my third attempt. Granted, each world is effectively one level but there's a lot of replay value. It has the added bonus of looking exceptional on my PVM.

Myself and the wife are playing this now. It’s much more fun than I remember. I think when I got it on launch, the easiness bugged me and I missed out on a fun collect em up!

went out to the garage...

looking for brawlers

found a boxed s-video SCART block too :facepalm:

D824B7E9-61D9-4E48-94E7-26B15AE4BA95.thumb.jpeg.35ca893c5bffce8fdaaf834811951ab9.jpeg

that might seem inconsequential now, but over in the n64 s-video thread I made a complete nuisance of myself...

Edited by SeanR
On 02/03/2020 at 15:00, strider said:

Rocket: Robot On Wheels

Shoutout to Rocket as a game we should all talk about way more. It is THE BEST non-Mario N64 platformer and I will die on this hill. Also it basically invented Half-Life 2 five years early.

(I had to look that up, pretty bonkers that they're only five years apart, lol remember actual technological progress in video games)

It literally has a gravity gun! And a realistic* physics engine. And in both games you have to rescue a large purple walrus, except in Half-Life 2 the large purple walrus is a normal sized human woman.

*I mean it's very much an N64 game but still

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from SF Rush 2049 did Midway ever manage to make a decent racer on the N64?

Cruisin USA/World/Exotica are all gash

California Speed manages to be worse than those 3

MRC is worse than I remember. (and I'm talking the lifespan of this thread, not back in 1997)

Also:

FZeroX is woolly

ExciteBikes 64 might be good if they didn't have a top speed of 40kph

Lambourghini Racing and Beetle Adventure racing are carried by their licences

V-Rally 99 isn't as good as the playstation v-rally games

Stunt Racer 64 is nothing of the sort

Destruction Derby 64 tries to use the power of the console, and makes the same mistake as DD2. Are we racing, or are we destroying?

the F1 games that I played vary in quality (per my previous posts)

the only saving graces are RR64 and WipeOut64

That just leaves the Top Gear games to play...

10 minutes ago, Camel said:

F-Zero X is what now?

woolly.

but then I was playing with my Brawler64. You know, testing it with a bunch of driving games?

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Apart from SF Rush 2049 did Midway ever manage to make a decent racer on the N64?

Cruisin USA/World/Exotica are all gash

California Speed manages to be worse than those 3

MRC is worse than I remember. (and I'm talking the lifespan of this thread, not back in 1997)

Also:

FZeroX is woolly

ExciteBikes 64 might be good if they didn't have a top speed of 40kph

Lambourghini Racing and Beetle Adventure racing are carried by their licences

V-Rally 99 isn't as good as the playstation v-rally games

Stunt Racer 64 is nothing of the sort

Destruction Derby 64 tries to use the power of the console, and makes the same mistake as DD2. Are we racing, or are we destroying?

the F1 games that I played vary in quality (per my previous posts)

the only saving graces are RR64 and WipeOut64

Mickey's Speedway USA? 

yeah, I sort of sat-out the cartoonish kart games.

I'll check that out, and give DKR a proper go too.

obv, none of the water-based games got played either.

up next will be FPSes that are not goldeneye...

48 minutes ago, SeanR said:

woolly.

but then I was playing with my Brawler64. You know, testing it with a bunch of driving games?

I thought you were talking visuals. But now you're talking controls it's even more absurd.

On 07/08/2020 at 00:29, Made of Ghosts said:

On 02/03/2020 at 15:00, strider said:

Rocket: Robot On Wheels

Shoutout to Rocket as a game we should all talk about way more. It is THE BEST non-Mario N64 platformer and I will die on this hill. Also it basically invented Half-Life 2 five years early

It’s brilliant but I’d recommend  Glover as well. Another interesting platformer with a fun physics engine.

20 hours ago, Wonderm said:

Mickey's Speedway USA? 

competent. Can’t believe Mickey gets his emails on an Amiga though... it’s really dark too. I guess that’s more Disney anyway.

i like my racing a bit more blue sky.

22 hours ago, SeanR said:

only managed Overdrive before the F1 started* Full of little touches. Like this animated witch scarecrow. 

4998802A-4827-495F-B70E-4DB9649EDEEF.thumb.jpeg.7245666d883083a76d218e1b671049c3.jpeg

I need to get some screencap hardware...

* because I also played NASCAR 2000 and that’s a bad game. I even did a couple of different ovals..

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

@SeanR so my rad2x arrived just now for my GameCube. Shame I’ve got a gcvideo in the time between preordering and it arriving. 

anyone want one for cost+shipping?

how much would that be? :eyebrows:

6 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I paid £52.79 all in with postage. I’ll test it later, it’s currently still in it’s sealed baggie. 

call it £55, tested, and you've got a deal!

• 1 month later...