N64 Appreciation Thread

44 minutes ago, strider said:

I watched that the other day. It irks me that he's uses the N64 Magazine logo on his channel.

I think he's just a massive fan of the magazine, well he does some vids of him looking at the mags.

But actually at first I thought he had something to do with the mag.

In other news, I just discovered that winback got an upgraded ps2 port!

2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

WinBack is really good!  One of several hidden gems, see also Hybrid Heaven, Forsaken and Space Station Silicon Valley.

Forsaken is a pc port?

I never played the PC version but as far as I know it has some different levels.  Rumble support, split screen deathmatch and the analogue stick made it brilliant at the time.  I last played it a couple of years ago on my NTSC N64 and it held up really well.  Alas I sold off my cart collection for an Ever Drive but still haven't got around to buying one...

2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

I never played the PC version but as far as I know it has some different levels.  Rumble support, split screen deathmatch and the analogue stick made it brilliant at the time.  I last played it a couple of years ago on my NTSC N64 and it held up really well.  Alas I sold off my cart collection for an Ever Drive but still haven't got around to buying one...

I did same thing except I did buy one. It's great but suffers from same problem as Roms on an emulator, lots of choice but never feeling like I'm committed to playing one game .

I have a jap N64, I did the quick RGB mod myself and undid it as picture was dark. Could have been my leads.

With quake 2, something I never understood:  when I played it on my newly acquired voodoo 3 card I was expecting better graphics than Goldeneye. I was shocked to find it wasn't a patch. Was the N64 really out classing pcs back then!? I also remember thinking, this game is a bit meh, again compared to Goldeneye.

15 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

You can fudge those DIY RGB jobs by removing resisters from the lead alright. Mine’s the same. 

Newer mods seem way better but mine is fine, apart from having to keep hold of a separate cable. 

I just soldered some wires on. Maybe it's the same as by passing capacitors.

Thing is with old games, I'm not sure RGB is how they were meant to be played, sure it's clearer, but the fuzzy colour bleed might be what was intended. Heck even emulators are doing filters to simulate the effect now!

That said, I want RGB out of my nes and n64 as ossc won't accept composite :(

Earlier N64s supported S-Video iirc, and they looked great. The problem is RF is super-shit and the dot crawl of composite annoys me too.

I think N64 RGB looks great. Games tend to by quite blurry, but the mod really helps for me - especially via an OSSC into a HDTV.

I have a USA n64 that I’ve had set up for the first time in about 10 years due to covid boredom, I’m using a very cheap usb powered scart to hdmi convertor as I dont have a scart connection on my TV

I’ve been enjoying it, got to Java on Body Harvest last night in one sitting but the picture on my 50” lcd tv through hdmi is absolutely hideous, I had to stop before I went blind.

Should I just buy an old Sony trinitron CRT telly off Facebook marketplace and be done with it or is there a better way to get an acceptable picture on a modern lcd tv?

On 08/05/2020 at 21:23, kernow said:

Really? A pc at that time with a V3 would murder an n64

Probably quake 2 was running at 60fps but I wouldn't have noticed back then. But I recall thinking the graphics weren't as good and the game no where near as good as Goldeneye

I've now turned my attention to Ridge Racer 64 and I'm really enjoying it. Never played it first time around as I had long sold my N64, but it's really impressing me. There are three different types of drift mechanic and a brand-new track to master. Granted there's not a lot here, but the track design is immense and I'm enjoying unlocking all the cars. 

The difficulty level is ramping up (I've completed the expert tracks and seen the credits) but now I've got the reverse tracks which are really challenging.

1 hour ago, strider said:

I've now turned my attention to Ridge Racer 64 and I'm really enjoying it. Never played it first time around as I had long sold my N64, but it's really impressing me. There are three different types of drift mechanic and a brand-new track to master. Granted there's not a lot here, but the track design is immense and I'm enjoying unlocking all the cars. 

The difficulty level is ramping up (I've completed the expert tracks and seen the credits) but now I've got the reverse tracks which are really challenging.

I’d already completed ridge racers on the DS when I started RR64, so was a little disappointed.

Still, better than the vast* majority of other arcade racers, on the same console.

* sarcasm, there are only, like, 10 racers on the system. And one of those is cruisin’ USA. 11 of you include the Lego racers game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My RGB modded NTSC N64 arrived. The photo doesn't really do it justice but the colours are so vibrant. It's the N64 as I remembered it. 

IMG_20200530_130635_resize_66.thumb.jpg.24f5b7b72f1d2f2d8f35710180203258.jpg

Super Mario 64 still plays brilliantly. Lost 3 solid hours to it and only stopped because the analogue stick started to irritate my thumb. 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone got recommendations for the best N64 emulator on Windows 10 PC?

I’ve had a desire to play through Perfect Dark recently and not had much luck. I tried 2 (Can’t remember the names as I’m away from my PC) and one multi source emulator had awful performance on loading and during gameplay. The other (Project64?) took awhile to load but performance was good. However, when you enable High Res mode in-game, the screen changed ratio and nothing would fix it and when I got to the Carrington Vila level, the skybox bugged out.

Its a real shame as the DC emulation is almost perfect so I would have thought N64 would have been nailed by now!

So today I managed some decent time on Mario 64 - the most egregious entry in my list of classics I never completed. I swear I'm gonna 100% this beautiful chocky blocky bastard before long. It's only taken me 20 years and an entirely new hardware setup but it feels worth the wait.

I really do have to say though that I find the N64 controller supremely comfy for my hands, even after a 2-3 hour session. It's truly like a glove I completely forget I'm wearing. One of those silicone thumbstick sleeves designed for Switch Joy-con removes the risk of the bare plastic making thumbs sore as well (these should be mandatory accessories IMO). For me at least there's no desire to get an aftermarket / alternative pad, unlike say with the Dreamcast which I'm increasing wary of holding with any real grip.