N64 Appreciation Thread

9 and a half hours into Goemon now and it feels like I'm on the final stretch. I've got Yae's mermaid transformation, infiltrated a submarine and just had my second impact fight with a giant fish robot. Should have this finished by the end of the week with any luck :)

• 3 weeks later...

Not all PAL N64s output S-video; the best some (many) stock units can output is composite.

The only N64 plug-and-play upscaler thingy worth a damn (IMO) is the Rad2X for Nintendo consoles as it'll upscale any N64 model's video to 480p (either the composite or RGB if it detects an upgraded unit). The Eon Super64 upscales S-video only, so while the source is better than composite it won't work with many PAL consoles and costs about triple the price of a Rad2X, more than an OSSC.

Yeah, that is a backup plan for capturing the "worst" consoles.

I believe the former information in the thread is likely correct for me, my grey N64 (Woolworths Aberystwyth 1999 :P) will probably work fine with the S-video over SCART lead I just ordered from consolegoods but the Pikachu one (Gamestation Hemel Hempsted 2004) will not.

Which is fine because I should probably actively use the less rare model anyway.

I've been playing through Doom 64 and I'm really enjoying it.

The level design is really solid so far, not a patch on the first two games of course, but still very good, while the pacing has been excellent. Just got to level nine.

Only downside is that the game is stupidly dark meaning you have to whack the brightness up on the TV in addition to the display on the options. Also saving doesn't actually save your control settings which seems utterly insane.

Just gave the Viewpoint 2064 proto a quick play on my phone. Remember looking forward to it back in the day, even though I could just about finish the first level of the Neo Geo game's PS1 port.

Too little play time to say if it was a big loss for the N64 catalogue, yet.

#NotMyViewpoint

Looks like it’s got more more of a starwing/fox/Lylat wars vibe. Even a hint of panzer dragoon/REZ...

but for the lack of speed and draw distance this could have been the polybius of its day

53 minutes ago, strider said:

Finished the first 15 levels of Doom64 now. last stage was insanely dark, so much so that I had to turn the  brightness of my pvm up to max.

still enjoying it mind.

It's a fantastic game, and I know it defeats the point of what you're doing here but the recent re-release is very good - it makes it so much easier to enjoy when you can see properly.  Not to mention having modern controls.

I’m still trying to decide which console to buy it for. Bone makes most sense, as I have most of the other doom games on it. PS4 is a kind of side thought, to HAVE something to play, and Switch seems like a good fit if I want to play it outside, on the move.

except there is no outside anymore...

of maybe I can just dig out my n64.

Level 21 now so I reckon I might finish Doom 64 by the weekend. Some of the last few levels have been remarkable, especially one I just navigated which is full of moving areas that completely transforms the level. The music is also ramping up a gear and it sounds utterly amazing in places with groaning, baby cries and gutteral moans making it terrifying to listen to with the lights off. Fuck, it’s stupidly dark in places, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've now started playing Yoshi's Story and you know what? I think it's really good. Granted, I can see why it wasn't everybody's cup of tea on release (2D, easy, basic mechanics etc) but if you treat it as a score-based game it's actually incredibly challenging. Keep on dying on the final world and now on my third attempt. Granted, each world is effectively one level but there's a lot of replay value. It has the added bonus of looking exceptional on my PVM.

7 hours ago, strider said:

I've now started playing Yoshi's Story and you know what? I think it's really good. Granted, I can see why it wasn't everybody's cup of tea on release (2D, easy, basic mechanics etc) but if you treat it as a score-based game it's actually incredibly challenging. Keep on dying on the final world and now on my third attempt. Granted, each world is effectively one level but there's a lot of replay value. It has the added bonus of looking exceptional on my PVM.

Yoshi's Story is easily still in my N64 top 10. Accept that it's not the direct sequel to Yoshi's Island that people in 1997 wanted it to be,* and it's definitely some solid 2D platforming fun. There's some real subtleties and depth in the gameplay that have been unfairly overlooked over the years.

* a 2D platform game with stylised graphics released on a ROM cartridge in  in 1997, well, I can see why Nintendo played it safe with a familiar, well-loved character.

18 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Yoshi's Story is easily still in my N64 top 10. Accept that it's not the direct sequel to Yoshi's Island that people in 1997 wanted it to be,* and it's definitely some solid 2D platforming fun. There's some real subtleties and depth in the gameplay that have been unfairly overlooked over the years.

* a 2D platform game with stylised graphics released on a ROM cartridge in  in 1997, well, I can see why Nintendo played it safe with a familiar, well-loved character.

I agree. It's clearly not a leap forward for the genre, but there's lot of hidden depth to it. I've just realised that if you complete a stage with a white shyguy and select it on the Yoshi screen, they'll return to the castle and get a captured Yoshi for you :wub:

It's a shame we didn't get more 2D stuff on the N64 as it really looks magnificent in places.

• 3 weeks later...

Few updates.

Completed Yoshi's Story, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I also completed Beetle Adventure Racing, which I thought was great, but the handling felt a little off on some of the later tracks.

I'm currently playing Quake II and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

There's no denying it looks tremendously impressive and the controls are virtually the same as Doom 64, but I'm having issues with it. The addition of up and down and their general lack of fine tuning means it's far tougher than it has any right to be. Another thing I've noticed is that if you complete a level on low health and die you restart the stage in exactly the same state (Doom simply restarted you with 100 health and a small amount of ammo). I got to the fourth stage and couldn't make any progress so gave up. I've now restarted the game on easy, it's not as challenging (enemies are swapped out for example) but it's allowing me to continue and I am finding it fun. Like Turok though, this is unlikely to stay in the collection.

Mentioned it in the Currently Playing thread, but I set up my N64 so my daughter could play Pokemon Snap and I've ended up getting quite addicted to F-Zero X. Initially found it super tough but I've won two out of the initial three GPs on Standard now so I'm definitely improving.

Had a quick blast on Goldeneye too but I'm finding it difficult because the game is murky as hell. I have an RGB modded Jp N64 which I bought many many years ago and haven't used very much at all. I recall at the time I bought it being told the RGB was amplified, and F-Zero looks fine, but Goldeneye is just really dark and it's now making me wonder whether I need to get the mod sorted on it or whether that game is just supposed to look dark. Videos online range from super dark to super bright so that's been no help at all :D

5 minutes ago, Camel said:

Mentioned it in the Currently Playing thread, but I set up my N64 so my daughter could play Pokemon Snap and I've ended up getting quite addicted to F-Zero X. Initially found it super tough but I've won two out of the initial three GPs on Standard now so I'm definitely improving.

Had a quick blast on Goldeneye too but I'm finding it difficult because the game is murky as hell. I have an RGB modded Jp N64 which I bought many many years ago and haven't used very much at all. I recall at the time I bought it being told the RGB was amplified, and F-Zero looks fine, but Goldeneye is just really dark and it's now making me wonder whether I need to get the mod sorted on it or whether that game is just supposed to look dark. Videos online range from super dark to super bright so that's been no help at all :D

It's dark, but it's certainly not Doom 64 levels of 'what the fuck is going on'. Glad you're enjoying the machine, I've been loving collecting for mine since the beginning of the year.

21 minutes ago, strider said:

I also completed Beetle Adventure Racing, which I thought was great, but the handling felt a little off on some of the later tracks.

I had an awesome time with that thanks to the Brawler 64 pad, couldn't really click with the controls on the standard controller but def saw an improvement when I switched.

11 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I had an awesome time with that thanks to the Brawler 64 pad, couldn't really click with the controls on the standard controller but def saw an improvement when I switched.

I was using that and agree it's better than the normal stick. Still a fun game and lots of secrets to discover. Not many tracks, but the ones that are there are very fun to race on. I've just got a bundle containing Legacy Of Darkness, Ridge Racer 64, Winback and Glover, so plenty to keep me busy :lol:

2 minutes ago, strider said:

I was using that and agree it's better than the normal stick. Still a fun game and lots of secrets to discover. Not many tracks, but the ones that are there are very fun to race on. I've just got a bundle containing Legacy Of Darkness, Ridge Racer 64, Winback and Glover, so plenty to keep me busy :lol:

Glover was one of the first N64 games I ever bought :wub: It's a bit easy these days but well worth a playthrough. 

16 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Glover was one of the first N64 games I ever bought :wub: It's a bit easy these days but well worth a playthrough. 

Yeah it never really gets the praise it deserves. Really solid little game. I'm interested to see how it holds up.

8 minutes ago, bplus said:

Just watched greg plant's review of Win Back:

It looks really good, I wish I'd got this back in the day.

I watched that the other day. It irks me that he's uses the N64 Magazine logo on his channel.