rllmuk
Lorfarius

N64 Appreciation Thread

Can't believe we don't have one of these!  Fancied getting my hands on an N64 again so picked one up with FZero X, Wipeout 64 and Turok 2 in a nice cheap bundle.

N64 a.jpg

Then went on a shopping trip for a nice pile of games, some great stuff in a local indie shop:

n64.jpg

Got a load of ebay auctions finishing tomorrow so will be investing in some decent games.  Did buy a couple of memory paks but they are buggered and won't save games!  Really annoyed as they format fine and save the data but as soon as you restart they just don't work so on the look out for official ones if anyone has some spares that are working!

Also spent a couple of days working through the N64 Glenn Plant Youtube channel. He's been reviewing the games for years and helped me pick out lots of good games.

• Upvote 7

N64 is probably my favourite console ever. Always fancy digging it out and setting it up but don't know if it'll connect to modern TVs or how it'd look if it does. 

Hurry up with N64 Mini, Nintendo. :mad:

• Upvote 2

I don’t know. There were some amazing games. I’d still rather a PlayStation. 

Mario 64; Mario Kart 64; Diddy Kong Racing; and Goldeneye are all absolute classics.

PAL F-Zero X simply isn't worth the cart it's burned on. It's utterly shite. NTSC is incredible however and one of my favourite racers. That's no snobbery either, my mate a couple of years ago had his first go on it and he couldn't believe the difference. 

I like the N64, sure it can look a little iffy but has a collection of crackers. 

43 minutes ago, nakamura said:

PAL F-Zero X simply isn't worth the cart it's burned on. It's utterly shite. NTSC is incredible however and one of my favourite racers. That's no snobbery either, my mate a couple of years ago had his first go on it and he couldn't believe the difference. 

I've been playing the PAL version for a couple of hours tonight and its incredible.. I did look at getting a US console but the cost of importing games and not being able to find them out in the wild just put me off.

The top 10 of the Nintendo 64 is amazing, and stands up against any console, but after that, the PlayStation beats it hands down.

The water on Wave Race still looks gorgeous, 22 years later.

• Upvote 1

Agreed regarding NTSC. I grew up with the PAL machine but the one I own now is NTSC and it’s night and day. For me, it’s the console most affected by that difference, in fact. I can pretty much give or take the 50/60 thing on most other consoles but the N64 really suffers.

It’s an easy machine to be sniffy about (I used to be, myself) but there are some stone cold classics on the N64 and some genuine hidden gems. Aside from the big hitters it’s worth checking out Mischief Makers, Mystical Ninja, Blast Corps, Castlevania, Mace, Fighters Destiny, Hybrid Heaven, Wetrix, any of the excellent Tony Hawk’s conversions, DOOM 64, Space Station Silicon Valley...I could go on and on. Good to see a few of them there.

There are ton of games worth your time.

One of my most cherished gaming memories (because I’m a miserable cunt) is the Christmas I stayed at uni on my own when everyone else had fucked off, and spent what I would otherwise have on the air fare home on N64 games instead. Two weeks of N64 with a pile of games and a pile of booze, and no fucker around to annoy me. Unfortunately one of those games was Armorines but otherwise it was bliss.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I've been playing the PAL version for a couple of hours tonight and its incredible.. I did look at getting a US console but the cost of importing games and not being able to find them out in the wild just put me off.

Nah, it's slow. Very very slow and very very dull. It simply isn't the game they made. The proper version is on another level. 

12 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Can't believe we don't have one of these!  Fancied getting my hands on an N64 again so picked one up with FZero X, Wipeout 64 and Turok 2 in a nice cheap bundle.

N64 a.jpg

Then went on a shopping trip for a nice pile of games, some great stuff in a local indie shop:

n64.jpg

Got a load of ebay auctions finishing tomorrow so will be investing in some decent games.  Did buy a couple of memory paks but they are buggered and won't save games!  Really annoyed as they format fine and save the data but as soon as you restart they just don't work so on the look out for official ones if anyone has some spares that are working!

Also spent a couple of days working through the N64 Glenn Plant Youtube channel. He's been reviewing the games for years and helped me pick out lots of good games.

Battery issue on the memory paks?

could be worth trying to open one up and replacing it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

Battery issue on the memory paks?

could be worth trying to open one up and replacing it.

I just opened one up and replaced the battery! It's started working :hmm: :o Thank you! :lol:

The thing has a rumble too and its only using a cheap CR2032 so god knows what's driving the thing.

1 hour ago, nakamura said:

Nah, it's slow. Very very slow and very very dull. It simply isn't the game they made. The proper version is on another level. 

Best not to play the US one then, now I'll never see it in action :sherlock: :lol:

I picked up the Japanese version on import when it came out from CeX (with one of those cart converters) - absolutely blew me away at the time. Still one of my favourite games ever.

My first import console. Plus one of the best Christmas days ever, thank you 1997, Rare, and Goldeneye 007. :wub:

Get an everdrive, never pay silly prices on eBay again. I've got an ntsc console and yes it's much better, however I think Goldeneye is supposed to be better in pal.

2 hours ago, bplus said:

Get an everdrive, never pay silly prices on eBay again. I've got an ntsc console and yes it's much better, however I think Goldeneye is supposed to be better in pal.

Just end up in a situation where you have piles upon piles of ROMs and never spend any time playing them. At least when you buy a game, especially when it's expensive you play it and enjoy it more!

• Upvote 6

It's the console I own with by far the least amount of games I care about - which I only originally bought near the end of its life for the three Treasure titles - but somehow I feel defensive towards it.

I love the heavy cartridges and disintegrating analogue sticks with their outmoded-but-impossible-to-replicate-with-modern-tech feel and sensitivity. I love how it doesn't have a dedicated sound chip and that the stock video output looks a bit rubbish even on a CRT. I also love how it's seemingly impossible to accurately emulate much of its library.

It's magnificent.

One day I'll get off my arse and order one of the newer RGB or HDMI mods for my NTSC unit, and a flashcart too. A system this weird deserves it.

New delivery! Can't go wrong with a bit of Mario Golf, wasn't sure about this until I read Camelot were involved so I've jumped right in. Cost me £15!

0.jpg

• Upvote 3

Had to complete the Mario Sports set.. :lol: Fresh through the post today for just £9! Still waiting for my Expansion pak to arrive so not bothered playing many games as I'm sure there's a few I've bought which benefit from it.

0.jpg

I sold a fucking ton of ntsc N64 stuff for peanuts years ago. Boxed JPN machine (modded by my own fair hands with a hot knife to remove the bits of plastic for USA games) with several boxed pads, Zelda MM, Conker, etc etc. Makes me cry at how much some of it goes for now. I was laughing to myself after pulling a fast one at Game or whatever when they gave me a tenner for my boxed as new Chameleon Twist and not noticing it wasn't pal. Looking at prices for that it turns out I was the sucker.

I remember importing PilotWings and thinking the machine would be pumping out close to film quality cgi in its lifetime after clocking some of its textures, the mountains etc, but it didn't seem to get much better than that gfx wise. Imo.

• Empathy 1

The free flight on Pilotwings is one of the most relaxing experiences in any game.  I still can't believe it was never ported to the Wii VC.

• Upvote 2

Is it acceptable to post in here if you’re playing on a modded Wii? :ph34r:

Following the thread in this folder, I’m now able to play some amazing classics from the N64, something I’ve wanted to do for a long time but didn’t know where to start.

F Zero and Diddy Kong Racing last night, going to play some Wipeout and Ridge Racer tonight. Some great games on there that I didn’t give the machine credit for when I had it - by that I mean it actually has a more decent third party offering than I realised.

As mentioned above, the N64 Glenn Plant Youtube channel is fantastic, he even has a playlist on N64 Magazine itself, which is really cool considering it was (along with Saturn Power) one of the Future magazines that were fantastic companions to the first consoles I owned.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mars said:

As mentioned above, the N64 Glenn Plant Youtube channel is fantastic, he even has a playlist on N64 Magazine itself, which is really cool considering it was (along with Saturn Power) one of the Future magazines that were fantastic companions to the first consoles I owned.

I've just ordered a few! Contemplating buying some PAL cart labels to go on top of my carts, such a pain in the bum trying to pull games out of a row.

Linky

I finally gave the NTSC version of FZero X ago... I can see why people are impressed but its too bloody difficult at that speed. At least in PAL I can win races :lol: