rllmuk
mdn2

Gris - "Masterpiece" Switch, PS4 & PC - Out Now

Will admit, I robbed whole parts of this off the thread on ResetEra. This looks incredibly beautiful. :wub:

gris6.thumb.jpg.29608543fa6a4f573e32d2cacb86605b.jpg

Eurogamer says:

Let's cut straight to the gushing praise: Gris is the most beautiful game I've played this year.

Endgadget:

Gris might be the prettiest game I've ever played. The 2D platformer is set in a dream-like world filled with crumbling statues, towering temples and inky, shape-shifting birds. Even the trees -- a typically unremarkable part of video game environments -- are topped with luscious foliage that melts between square, triangular and completely invisible states. 

The platforming seems a bit simplistic, but I really does remind me of a 2D Journey, in that it's more about the experience than navigating tricky environments. 

It's out December this year on Switch and PC. 

dims.jpeg

gris5.jpg

gris4.jpg

• Upvote 8

So this is out tomorrow. Anyone picking this up? I have about £6 eshop credit so I'll be giving it a go. 

Got enough to play at the moment so going to wait this one out. It'll probably get an Xbox/PS4 release at some point. Hoping on the XBox it will get a Games Pass release... :)

4 hours ago, Pockets said:

Can’t unthink ‘Bris’. 

Once you're playing, you'll have to share your top tip.

• Upvote 3

Reminds me of playing some golf game in the ‘90s that had a voice sample of ‘for skin’ when playing 2 player skins mode. I was about 14, my brother would have been 30. We were like Beavis and Butthead every single time. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

What's 'bris'?

Jewish (?) circumcision ceremony (?) I think. Something to do with circumcision anyway. Google image search it. 

4 hours ago, Radish said:

It might be worth waiting for reviews first. I think it had some pretty unconvincing previews.

Is it weird that the most worrying part of that for me was ‘your time is spent just pushing an analogue stick to the right’? I hate it when 2D games make you use the analogue stick, can’t get on with it. Hopefully this allows d-pad too. 

16 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Jewish (?) circumcision ceremony (?) I think. Something to do with circumcision anyway. Google image search it. 

No thanks.

Jesus. It's reviewing well. Robbed off ResetEra:

OpenCritic - 86/100

GameSpot - 9/10
Game Informer - 8.25/10
Destructoid - 10/10
NintendoLife - 9/10
WCCFTech - 9/10
WeGotThisCovered - 5/5
USGamer - 3/5
Twinfinite - 4/5
ShackNews - 7/10
PureNintendo - 9/10
CGMagazine - 9/10
NintendoDojo - B+
COGConnected - 90/100
DigitallyDownloaded - 5/5
NintendoWorldReport - 10/10
GameSpew - 8/10
GameGrin - 8/10
TechRaptor - 9/10
NewGameNetwork - 80/100
GameStar (Germany) - 85/100
HobbyConsolas (Spain) - 90/100

Edit: Eurogamer - Recommended

• Upvote 1

Played the first bit. It seems to be a kind of Journey meets Limbo type thing with the interactivity somewhere in between. It looks very nice and the music is very much 'arty indie game' - which is to say it's good but in that 'I know I'm good' kind of way which makes no sense at all - I suppose I mean it could all be a little irritatingly hipster. There were definitely some beards involved. 

It could be really good though, just hard to say after 15 minutes whether the seriousness and 'videogames are art man' thing will hold up over the course of it. 

It sounds like I'm being critical which I don't meant to be - I love the style of it, but I do find that when games go for this audiovisual art thing they really need to be special to stop it seeming like style over substance.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

7 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Less than a fiver on the Russian eshop for Switch region hoppers (£4.68). Got to be worth that for the artwork alone

I may have to partake at that price.

Anyone know how long it is?

3-4 hours, apparently. 

I just paid full price for it. Have a Russian account as well but I never even thought to check. :doh:

OK. I've played the first hour or so. I know it's only meant to be about 3-4 hours long do I'm trying to pace myself. First things first, the visuals are stunning. There's a bit with a red sandstorm near the start which looks incredible. I've taken half a dozen screenshots already. And the music is fantastic. Strangely, it reminds me of Breath of the Wild: I think because it's stark and the volume changes based on the actions in screen. 

It's easy to far. After nearly an hour it's introduced some new abilities and simple puzzles. I can see myself breezing through this without difficulty. But if it holds up, it'll be worth it for the experience.

Kinda like Journey, then. 

:wub:

DuUDYgAVsAAZGQ-.jpeg

• Upvote 2

It’s a definite purchase but it needs to dip below a tenner. Especially as it’s a third of that £15 cost on other stores. And no, I’m not frigging around with store swapping, no matter how easy it’s supposed to be.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, jonamok said:

It’s a definite purchase but it needs to dip below a tenner. Especially as it’s a third of that £15 cost on other stores. And no, I’m not frigging around with store swapping, no matter how easy it’s supposed to be.

It is ludicrously easy though. I bought it earlier. Literally took less than two minutes.