IGNORED

New Oscars category: Academy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film

Nick R

40 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Green Book is going to be looked back on like Crash as a what the fuck were the thinking winner,

Consistent pattern with the Academy though - white-friendly movies about racism where nothing too bad happens to the oppressor in terms of retribution. Makes them feel all fuzzy. Hence Spike Lee apparently trying to leave the ceremony during the award giving for Green Book

I didn't think the ending was shit, but it was rather tepid after all the fire and conniving of the Great Game that preceded it. I left the film feeling a bit flat, a bit empty, then remembered how amazing everything else was about a minute later. I certainly don't mind a downbeat ending, but this particular ending just didn't work for me.

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

Green Book is going to be looked back on like Crash as a what the fuck were the thinking winner,

Tbh, even though I very much enjoyed the films from the list that I saw (haven't seen Vice or Roma) it didn't seem like a strong year at all. There's nothing from what I've seen that was truly amazing or could be considered a masterpiece. I enjoyed Green Book the most so maybe its just best of an ok bunch.

Also, You Were Never Really Here is better than them all and no nod to that for best film, director, lead actor,  cinematography or soundtrack is a pisstake.

15 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Tbh, even though I very much enjoyed the films from the list that I saw (haven't seen Vice or Roma) it didn't seem like a strong year at all. There's nothing from what I've seen that was truly amazing or could be considered a masterpiece. I enjoyed Green Book the most so maybe its just best of an ok bunch.

Also, You Were Never Really Here is better than them all and no nod to that for best film, director, lead actor,  cinematography or soundtrack is a pisstake.

It's not a meritocracy though, it never has been

6 minutes ago, Hexx said:

I'm not sure that's really any better - maybe the one about 'symphony of lies', but without knowing the detail hard to say. Movies aren't truth, it's insane to expect them to be. But whether allowing Twitter to decide the best rather than the Academy is a step forward, hmmmmm ....

1 minute ago, linkster said:

It's not a meritocracy though, it never has been

I know, which is why I never really take much stock in it. Still, it's frustrating at times to see things get ignored because at least the Oscars helps open up new things to people who might have completely ignored them otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I know, which is why I never really take much stock in it. Still, it's frustrating at times to see things get ignored because at least the Oscars helps open up new things to people who might have completely ignored them otherwise.

TBH I detest the entire thing, which is why I find the lack of host so intriguing because of what it appears to say - yes, Bryan Singer, Harvey Weinstein and the rest are villified but I mean the term 'casting couch' is synonymous with the industry and yet treated as a term of endearment until #metoo came along. The lack of a host suggests not one of them is clean enough to step up to the plate now the spotlight is on the bits they'd rather not talk about. Or, it's that as well as positive things like #metoo, social media has enabled the public flogging of anyone, guilty or innocent. I don't see how they row back from either of those things, I just hope the questions keep being asked.

8 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Yeah Green Book is very pleasant Sunday afternoon viewing. It'll be largely forgotten about in a decade.

I find that about a lot of big Oscar winners. They get so over hyped that a few years on I've either forgotten they exist or have no desire to ever watch them.  That bloody Stephen Hawking thing with Eddie Redface sticks out in my mind. I'd like to shove his Oscar up his hoop.

I'd never even heard of Green Book.  I thought it was that film with Patrick Stewart harassing a crap punk band.

The last time I watched the Oscars was 2006/7.  I was pissed as a fart. The only thing I remember was that Jack Nicholson was in the audience with a baldy heid.  He must have been filming The Bucket List at the time.

13 hours ago, Fitzcarraldo said:

I also really liked the ending to The Favourite. You can you risk everything plotting, scheming and playing social chess but, in the end, you'll still find yourself on your knees, taking orders like a maid.

Not just that, but Queen Anne gets to see out her life knowing she's been duped and being cared for by someone who doesn't actually give a shit about her. Both of them stuck alone in that room together for days, months, years in barely concealed resentment being suffocated by all those bloody rabbits. It's a fantastic ending. Tragic, absurd and funny in equal measure,  just like the rest of the movie.