IGNORED

New Oscars category: Academy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film

Nick R

You can have a film without editing, surely? Russian Ark & Victoria were both shot in one continuous take. Although looking at the IMDb, both of those films had editors, which sounds like a cushy job. 

Films without any any cinematography are a tall order, but Blue by Derek Jarman might fit the bill. 

On 13/02/2019 at 22:00, K said:

You can have a film without editing, surely? Russian Ark & Victoria were both shot in one continuous take. Although looking at the IMDb, both of those films had editors, which sounds like a cushy job. 

Films without any any cinematography are a tall order, but Blue by Derek Jarman might fit the bill. 

At that point the line is arguably blurred between cinema and other visual art forms that happen to be filmed. You can film a play with one camera in a single take and show it in a cinema, is that a film?

Maybe I'm engaged in special pleading however. 

Steven Soderbergh gave an interesting insight into the Academy Awards as part of a recent interview:

Sims: How do you feel about the fact that the Oscars are in a panic about their own existence?

Soderbergh: I know people that are on the board of the academy and all that stuff. There are too many board members. It’s like NATO—you can’t make a move you have to make because eight people will shout it down. The other thing is the proliferation of all the other awards shows and the fatigue that comes in. When people call it “awards season,” I’m like, there’s no season in nature that lasts this long. There’s a reason for that. Because it’s unnatural.

Sims: I was just at Sundance, and that’s where awards season begins now.

Soderbergh: It’s like having a friend that comes up to you every other day and says, “It’s my birthday.” And you’re supposed to act like it is. It’s just kind of numbing. I’ve only been at the Oscars twice, the first time for sex, lies, and videotape for Best Screenplay. [The film lost to Dead Poets Society.] This was in 1989; there wasn’t the craziness there is now. There would be screenings around town and that was it. You didn’t go. We were nominated for three Golden Globes, and nobody even called us and asked if we wanted to go. By the time Traffic and Erin Brockovich rolled around [in 2000], it had gotten pretty intense. I, being the luckiest bastard you’ve ever met, was kind of in this sweet spot. I was shooting Ocean’s Eleven, and I had two films going head-to-head, so I could not appear to be choosing either one. So I did nothing.

Sims: Well it won you an Oscar; more people should try it.

Soderbergh: I had the best version of what you can have. The show itself is clunky and weird sometimes. But the work that the academy does, in terms of archiving alone, I don’t care what kind of show they’ve gotta put on to make the money to pay for that stuff. The academy library is one of the most amazing resources in the United States. As a filmmaker, understanding what they’re doing for cinema culture, I’m very sympathetic to their problem, and part of me doesn’t get that worked up about it because I’m like, Look, they’ve gotta put on this show. It pays for all this great stuff. All of my stuff, all the prints, negatives, it’s all there, for nothing. I used to have that shit in a climate-controlled vault in Hollywood. It wasn’t cheap.

Sims: What do you think of the Oscars potentially excluding some categories from being televised live?

Soderbergh: There was some discussion for a minute about the Oscars doing what the Emmys do—having two ceremonies. Everybody shouted that down and said they would be creating two tiers. What I wanted to do was produce that show: We’ll go back to the Roosevelt Hotel, every nominee can bring a plus-one, and that’s it. Super intimate, food, drink, all that, you can get up there and talk all you want. It’s not televised. It’s a private event for the nominees and their significant others. Make it fun and cool. ’Cause here’s the dirty secret: Going to the big thing is not fun. It’s more fun to watch on TV. The trick would be doing something super cool and small.

Sims: And then everyone shouted that down.

Soderbergh: All awards often end up being defined by what they got wrong. But I have no desire to go through that again. I’m giving myself a bit of a pass, having been through it. I was a movie nut as a kid; I grew up watching the Oscars. Having said that, I’m not big on repeating experiences. Where I am in my career, I’d rather have a hit than an award.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/02/steven-soderbergh-high-flying-bird-oscars-netflix-interview/582547/

So there is actually a good reason to cheerlead the Academy in their hopes of keeping their award ceremony viable, it might help to preserve a lot of film material that might otherwise be lost in time.

The Hollywood Reporter did their annual interview with an anonymous member of the Academy, this year it is somebody from the Directors branch of the organisation giving their opinions on the films/people they have been asked to vote for and what films/people should have made the lists instead, a fascinating insight into the thought process behind one of the few thousand people who get to decide who wins. Some fanboys might want to prepare themselves for some of the opinions he expresses:

A male member of the Academy's 519-person directors branch, granted a cloak of anonymity, reveals why he filled out his final Oscar ballot the way that he did. "I'm not going to watch the Oscars this year," he volunteers, saying the idea of a hostless ceremony has turned him off. "I'm just anticipating a very boring show. One of the best things about the show is the opening monologue, which is usually pretty good — it's what happens after that that's not great."

Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star Is Born are films whose adulation I can't even begin to fathom — I found them to be ordinary. Bohemian Rhapsody is a standard-issue biopic with a really nice last 10 minutes; had it been a great film, I probably still wouldn't have voted for it, because I don't want to do anything to reward Bryan Singer, who is a pariah now and needs to stay that way. A Star Is Born is a fourth remake with nothing new to say — it was massively overhyped. 

After that is Roma. It's beautifully crafted and looks fantastic, but ultimately, I was wondering where the entertainment or even intellectual value is in this movie. To me, it's a very slow and rather indulgent film — the most expensive home movie ever made.

No. 3 is Black Panther. Look, it's a Marvel comic book movie, and it's not much better than any of the others, but you have to applaud it for its massive social impact and the pride it has given to so many people. I know that's not a reason to vote for a movie, so that's why it's in third place rather than second or first. For those spots, I was torn between The Favourite and BlacKkKlansman. The Favourite is an unbelievably delicious film, and I was completely entertained from beginning to end — its humor and sexuality turned me on. It's a better movie than BlacKkKlansman, but I have no idea what it was trying to say. I prefer to reward a movie that is solid and has something of social importance to say, like BlacKkKlansman. The Charlottesville footage at the end of it sealed the deal for me — it reminds us that things really haven't gotten better.

But the greatest wrong in the history of the Oscars was Spike Lee not being nominated for Do the Right Thing, and BlacKkKlansman is like the other end of Do the Right Thing. I've admired this guy's work so much over the years. Until now, the Academy has almost completely ignored this genius, and it's about fucking time to correct that. I don't know that it's the best directing job of the year — I think that [The Favourite's] Yorgos Lanthimos' decisions were more creative, interesting and daring — but I don't know that I'll have another opportunity to vote for Spike, so I'm going to take this one.

I'm going to tell you something that's going to shock you: Many people vote for their friends. I have worked with [The Favourite's] Olivia Colman and had a wonderful experience with her — I remember saying to her, "At some point, you're going to be up on a stage accepting an Academy Award," and I want to help make that happen. What I don't understand is what she's doing in this category, or what the other two [Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz] are doing in supporting — all three should be the same.

First Man should have been nominated for best picture — it probably came in ninth or tenth — and its visual effects are pretty amazing. I think they were produced more on a stage — with models and old-school stuff — than the other nominees', which relied more on CGI, and I really respect that. There's just no way on earth that I will ever vote for anything with the word Avengers in the title; like a lot of people in the Academy, I don't respect money-grabs. Ready Player One is different because it at least is the start of a franchise. I didn't see Christopher Robin.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/brutally-honest-oscar-ballot-roma-just-an-expensive-home-movie-1187668

The last few years ones are also available online still, quite fascinating to see how the voters think.

4 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Ceremony is awful this year. It really misses a host. Bo Rap winning all these awards it totally doesn't deserve is the only surprise so far. 

I'm off to bed after screenplays.

I don’t really read sites other than the obvious but the lack of a host is fascinating. Is the common view that this celebration of all that’s false has been forced to admit not one of them is clean enough to stand up to scrutiny? Or is it that social media can assassinate pretty much anyone it chooses so like being British PM nobody wants the job?

*wakes up and checks*

Green Book :lol:

It is the most charming and enjoyable film you could possibly watch, but it has the depth of a puddle and is so conventional and crowd pleasing anyone could accurately plot it out after 15 minutes. 

I was 99.999% sure Roma would win or The Favourite might surprise. 

20 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

*wakes up and checks*

Green Book :lol:

It is the most charming and enjoyable film you could possibly watch, but it has the depth of a puddle and is so conventional and crowd pleasing anyone could accurately plot it out after 15 minutes. 

I was 99.999% sure Roma would win or The Favourite might surprise. 

Hollywood loves to solve racism any chance it gets

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Forgot these were even on last night. Woke up to a phone full of news notifications, nearly all about Coleman and Green Book. Was happy to see Spider-Verse win animation though. 

I had no idea it was on until someone posted above they were staying up and that was nearly midnight

4 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

It's ok that he turned his back on the people receiving an award for Green Book. After all, everyone turned their back on him after Old Boy.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/feb/25/spike-lee-on-green-book-oscar-win-ref-made-bad-call

Thanks for providing a link to the full quote

The director, a fan of the National Basketball Association’s New York Knicks, said when he heard Green Book announced as the year’s best picture winner: “I thought I was courtside at the (Madison Square) Garden, and the ref made a bad call.”

Everyone else just quoted the bit about the ref, which I found confusing cos at least with a ref you can see who you're dealing with, rather than an anonymous secret ballot overwhelmingly made up of mostly old white people

Malek made a nice comment about a movie about a gay immigrant winning best actor that's been mostly drowned out - course if the film is anything to go by, a gay immigrant that died having been denied a Visa to the US ... 

Noticed comments about the continuing blurring of the lines between TV and film (and I'm not talking about the presence of Roma). TV used to be very much beneath film, with TV actors being quite separate from film actors, apart from some going upwards and maybe some going downwards in the twilight of their career. But this year, all four acting winners have TV shows too.

Just now, JohnC said:

Noticed comments about the continuing blurring of the lines between TV and film (and I'm not talking about the presence of Roma). TV used to be very much beneath film, with TV actors being quite separate from film actors, apart from some going upwards and maybe some going downwards in the twilight of their career. But this year, all four acting winners have TV shows too.

The landscape has changed completely though, it's no surprise at all to see major A listers show up in TV series

On 22/01/2019 at 19:17, Treble said:

If this is the 2019 Oscars thread now, someone should change the thread title... 

Well, I don't want to break a yearly habit, so here's my inevitably wrong picks! 

Best Picture
Black Panther

I think the academy will want to get in on the zeitgeist, and try and look inclusive/relevant. They aren't

Best Director
Adam McKay (Vice)

MOR American story directed by an MOR American director vs. what the academy will see as eurotrash and an anti-republican Black man

Best Actor
Bradley Cooper (A Star is Born)

All-American and presents as a moderate republican (he's not). Has a lot of power in Hollywood. This one, for me, is nailed-on despite people thinking Bale is the shoe-in. 

Best Actress
Yalitza Aparicio (Roma)
Glenn Close (The Wife)
Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born)
Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)

I can't predict this, but the safe choice is Glenn Close. I think they are all in with a shout though. 

Best Supporting Actress
Emma Stone (The Favourite)

This is more kind of hopeful, as i think she deserves it. 

Best Supporting Actor
Sam Elliott (A Star Is Born)

Best Foreign-Language Film
Cold War (Poland)

I think the Netflix angle is going to mean Roma gets pretty much snubbed. 

Best Animated Feature
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

I'm going to be naive here and say that sanity will prevail, and this will win out. 

Best Original Screenplay
The Favourite

Surely yeah? The ending is shit (and this comes from a Lanthimos fan) but the rest of it is superb. 

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

They won't snub this as hard as Roma, because Coens. 

As usual, I got just about everything completely wrong :D