rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nick R

New Oscars category: Academy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film

The 3D was very good but when I think of that movie the bit that immediately comes to mind is when he gets his legs again, that’s a beautiful very character driven moment 

I can’t claim to be overly fond of it, I own the home 3D version and still not watched it fully; but it’s all speculation why the majority made it such a big money spinner

people were and are horrible about Titantic, it made not one bit of difference to how popular the movie clearly is

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

Making the most money is a pretty decent metric for popularity.

Right. So, you think films should be judged on how much money they make.

45 minutes ago, linkster said:

The 3D was very good but when I think of that movie the bit that immediately comes to mind is when 

people were and are horrible about Titantic, it made not one bit of difference to how popular the movie clearly is

Avatar is baffling. It's essentially a William Castle film, and is not far removed from Mant from Matinee

Titanic, on the other hand, is a genuinely excellent, rip-roaring melodrama. And I don't mean Cameron strove for class and accidentally got camp; I mean it set out to be an old-fashioned melodrama in the vein of Douglas Sirk.

If you don't believe me, look at how the bookends starring Bill Paxton and Gloria Stuart contrast with Rose's rose-tinted (hah!) unreliable memories. 

I personally don't like it much, but it's an excellent romantic adventure and deserves all the money it made. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Right. So, you think films should be judged on how much money they make.

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

But not quality, which is what best film should be about.

I'm arguing that that's what an Academy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film is. Popular. And money is a good metric.

"Best film" is a completely subjective.

1 minute ago, Festoon said:

I'm arguing that that's what an Academy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film is. Popular. And money is a good metric.

"Best film" is a completely subjective.

You want everything to be judged using objectively quantifiable facts?

Anything to get Black Panther an award, eh?!

Just now, JPL said:

You want everything to be judged using objectively quantifiable facts?

Anything to get Black Panther an award, eh?!

I didn't like it much, actually.

4 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I hope they show this scene when it wins

I had to check whether the film was nominated for best editing. lol. That is horrific. 20 cuts in 23 seconds to show a stranger sitting down at a table. That smeared in vaseline cinematography is awful.

double post

I hate over editing. With the rate of cuts you can't even notice Aidan Gillen approach their table, it isn't able to communicate what is happening very well at all. All it needed was them talking, you notice him in the distance walk towards them, then all their eyes fall on this stranger who pulls out a chair. But, y'know the audience will grow bored in the 23 seconds it takes for all that to happen naturally.

obviously the dialogue is horrific as well.

twitter replies reminded me of this

which i will never tired of watching

• Upvote 5

On 03/02/2019 at 12:25, Chadruharazzeb said:

Popular means well liked. Avatar is one of the highest (or THE highest) grossing films ever but I'd hardly describe it as "well liked". 

7.8/10 on IMDb with over 1 Million people bothered enough to vote their opinion. I know the vocal internet likes to shit on this film at every available opportunity, but at least have the decency to respect the evidence available.

Titanic amusingly enough, a film the vocal internet doesn't hate for some reason, has exactly the same score, but with fewer votes, despite a 12 year head start! ;)

Box office revenue should be a perfectly fine metric to judge popularity as people have to get off their arse and pay money to vote for a film, repeatedly in some cases.

29 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Box office revenue should be a perfectly fine metric to judge popularity as people have to get off their arse and pay money to vote for a film, repeatedly in some cases.

Really? So stinkers with massive advertising budgets which show on every screen in the country are always better than low-budget indie films with limited runs, because they take more money?

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, JPL said:

Really? So stinkers with massive advertising budgets which show on every screen in the country are always better than low-budget indie films with limited runs, because they take more money?

That’s not what he said. He said they were more popular, quality wasn’t mentioned anywhere that I can see. 

It's the AAA problem all over again, popularity or money thrown at a film doesn't mean you've made the best film ever, just as the opposite is true. The most critically acclaimed films generally don't make shitloads of money or ever get seen by the most people either.

The Shawshank Redemption is the highest rated film on IMDb but was a box office flop initially, despite critical praise.

34 minutes ago, Barrow48 said:

That’s not what he said. He said they were more popular, quality wasn’t mentioned anywhere that I can see. 

I think my problem is that I'm expecting the Oscars people to be judging entrants on their quality rather than how much money they've made and I'm conflating popularity with something being good. In reality, I imagine the opposite is true though.

22 minutes ago, mushashi said:

It's the AAA problem all over again, popularity or money thrown at a film doesn't mean you've made the best film ever, just as the opposite is true. The most critically acclaimed films generally don't make shitloads of money or ever get seen by the most people either.

The Shawshank Redemption is the highest rated film on IMDb but was a box office flop initially, despite critical praise.

So you're agreeing that a 'Popular' category is a stupid idea.

11 minutes ago, JPL said:

I think my problem is that I'm expecting the Oscars people to be judging entrants on their quality rather than how much money they've made and I'm conflating popularity with something being good. In reality, I imagine the opposite is true though.

Lol. It's whoever campaigns the most. Oscars are in no way a metric of quality. They still ignore stuntmen, for god's sake!

• Upvote 1

On 03/02/2019 at 15:46, Loik V credern said:

I had to check whether the film was nominated for best editing. lol. That is horrific. 20 cuts in 23 seconds to show a stranger sitting down at a table. That smeared in vaseline cinematography is awful.

It’s clearly the other members of Queen being sat in the editing suite saying “have more of me here” when they were cutting the movie.

15 hours ago, JPL said:

I think my problem is that I'm expecting the Oscars people to be judging entrants on their quality

This seems like a fundamental issue in expectations.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

This seems like a fundamental issue in expectations.

Yep. At least I’ve made myself come to the realisation that the Oscars is a load of old shit, so they should have probably gone ahead with their ‘We’re Not Racist, Honest’ award anyway.

It’s a bit of a shame that a few people in here seem to be quite happy with the ‘money wins’ way of judging though.

I think you're joining a bunch of stuff together there, badly, though. If the Oscars had - as the thread started out - started awarding a Best Film and a separate "Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film" award, then what even is the second one, other than a measure of Box Office success?

Then, separate to that, you have a conversation about whether the Oscars has ever been - at its core - about anything other than marketing. All the Oscars are really for is to try and get people to go and see more movies that they're less interested in by default. Marketing.

Nah. I was initially arguing that Black Panther shouldn’t be getting it’s own category to appease their racist shame, no matter how it was dressed up. Everything should really be judged on quality, not for political reasons and certainly not because of money, as a few people have pointed out as the real metric they use. A few different strands have merged together, but I didn’t think it was that hard to follow.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, JPL said:

So you're agreeing that a 'Popular' category is a stupid idea.

I can see why they attempted it in the first place, their awards ceremony is dropping in relevance and a constant complaint about it was that it snubbed actually popular films in favour of critically more worthy films for the best picture award so they attempted to fix that problem.

Using box office as an entrance selection criteria is perfectly fine for an award for popular films, I wouldn't use it to actually award the prize though, but neither was that the plan for the Oscars, as the name of the award was 'Academy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film', so it did have a quality metric to it, but only films which are successful at the box office are eligible to receive the award in the first place, leaving the real quality films to battle for the normal best picture award.

If it was purely which film was the most popular, they wouldn't need to vote and just leave the box office number to auto-select the winner for that year.

I'm sure that they have every intention of including Best Actor, Best Director, and Best Picture in that voluntarily rotating list of categories that will receive this editing treatment.

Still, sounds like the broadcast will still be more comprehensive than what the BAFTAs do with the minor/technical awards, where you don't get to see any clips of the non-winning nominees.

I read an article that questioned the entire foundational idea that it's the running time that is causing the drop in viewership and they had stats to back up their viewpoint, the recent Football final also had its lowest ratings in ages. I'd be surprised if viewership abroad was ever that great for a 3 hour+ snoozefest award show.