Jump to content
IGNORED

New Oscars category: Academy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film


Nick R
 Share

Recommended Posts

@JPickford

 

It doesn’t make any sense because it’s not even the best Marvel film of last year. It’s obviously only in there because of its social impact and nothing to do with its quality as a film.

 

I mean, fair enough if they want to give it an award for being progressive, but pretending it should be in the best film category is ridiculous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's an argument for Black Panther being the best stand alone Marvel film of last year.

 

You're not going to give Infinity War a nod because it requires 25,000 years of Marvel knowledge to be as great as it is. Which is fine and it is fantastic with said knowledge. But Black Panther stands on its own, delivers a pretty powerful message and stands for something genuinely progressive in modern blockbuster cinema. It's not my favourite of the year, hell it doesn't get anywhere near even my top 10, but considering the Oscars is a big political machine and not the "actual best film of the year ever" award I'm alright with it being in there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they wanted to give an Oscar to films that really made a powerful statement then If Beale Street Could Talk or Sorry to Bother You would have got nominated. The main takeaway for Hollywood from Black Panther is hey we can make CGI drenched blockbusters that appeal to more than the white 18-40 crowd and make a shit load of money - kerching!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BitterToad said:

There's an argument for Black Panther being the best stand alone Marvel film of last year.

 

You're not going to give Infinity War a nod because it requires 25,000 years of Marvel knowledge to be as great as it is. Which is fine and it is fantastic with said knowledge. But Black Panther stands on its own, delivers a pretty powerful message and stands for something genuinely progressive in modern blockbuster cinema. It's not my favourite of the year, hell it doesn't get anywhere near even my top 10, but considering the Oscars is a big political machine and not the "actual best film of the year ever" award I'm alright with it being in there. 

I didn't realise Best Standalone Marvel Film was a category, but yeah, it should definitely win that. Especially seeing as it's the only entrant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What would happen if Bohemian Rhapsody actually won. I know it’s for best picture and not director, but the director usually goes up with the team don’t they? I'm assuming that they won’t have a Hollywood premier alleged predatory pedophile up on stage while the audience re-enact their standing ovation for Roman Polanski from a few years ago. Do we know if they've even invited him? Not sure Dexter Fletcher is even eligible to go up, no matter how much he actually directed as he’s not credited as far as I know. Prob just have Brian May and Roger Taylor go up, which is fitting as the film is more like a party political broadcast about how great they are than any attempt at actually documenting what actually happened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I imagine known or suspected diddlers get a wee nudge from the academy through their agent suggesting that they not attend. I'm half expecting Spacey to show up this year in full Frank Underwood character..

 

Yeah, real talk, Spider Verse is easily the best superhero movie since the Dark Knight. it's not even close

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actors who have never been nominated for an Oscar: Donald Sutherland - John Goodman - Alan Rickman - Steve Buscemi - David Oyelowo - Alfred Molina - Jeff Daniels - Guy Pearce - Jeff Goldblum - Jeffrey Wright

 

Actor who has been nominated 4 times in 7 years: Bradley Cooper

 

Films that have not been nominated for an Oscar: any South Korean film ever

 

Films that have: A Star Is Born

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/01/2019 at 14:11, Harsin said:

What would happen if Bohemian Rhapsody actually won. I know it’s for best picture and not director, but the director usually goes up with the team don’t they? I'm assuming that they won’t have a Hollywood premier alleged predatory pedophile up on stage while the audience re-enact their standing ovation for Roman Polanski from a few years ago. Do we know if they've even invited him? Not sure Dexter Fletcher is even eligible to go up, no matter how much he actually directed as he’s not credited as far as I know. Prob just have Brian May and Roger Taylor go up, which is fitting as the film is more like a party political broadcast about how great they are than any attempt at actually documenting what actually happened.

 

It won Best Picture at the Golden Globes, and there was no mention of Singer whatsoever (apparently, it's not like I watched the ceremony).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2019 at 10:20, JPL said:

@JPickford

 

It doesn’t make any sense because it’s not even the best Marvel film of last year. It’s obviously only in there because of its social impact and nothing to do with its quality as a film.

 

I mean, fair enough if they want to give it an award for being progressive, but pretending it should be in the best film category is ridiculous.

 

It made more money than Infinity War though, so more popular with the public is a valid claim.

 

EDIT: I mean domestically in the US, just to clarify.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Festoon said:

 

It made more money than Infinity War though, so more popular with the public is a valid claim.

 

EDIT: I mean domestically in the US, just to clarify.

Again though, this just feels like creating a category based on a list of random arbitrary rules just so they could award the film something. Do you honestly think there should be a 'Highest Grossing Marvel Film in the US Domestic Market Only' category? Seems like a ridiculously contrived way to award the film to me. Why not just come out and give it a special award for its role in helping progress minorities in Hollywood or something? Why are they trying to skirt around the real reasons? Is it because they're so embarrassed that black people in film is still seen as such a different thing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JPL said:

Again though, this just feels like creating a category based on a list of random arbitrary rules just so they could award the film something. Do you honestly think there should be a 'Highest Grossing Marvel Film in the US Domestic Market Only' category? Seems like a ridiculously contrived way to award the film to me. Why not just come out and give it a special award for its role in helping progress minorities in Hollywood or something? Why are they trying to skirt around the real reasons? Is it because they're so embarrassed that black people in film is still seen as such a different thing?

 

Making the most money is a pretty decent metric for popularity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, linkster said:

It made money from repeat viewings. Like Titanic. so that can’t be right.

Yes, but it was also the first film to use 3D in such a big way. I suspect a lot of the viewings (and repeat ones) were people taking there friends to see the new and improved tech that everyone’s talking about.

 

I hate 3D now, but remember being blown away by it when I went to see Beowulf (which came out before Avatar), and went to see it again a couple of days later dragging five of my mates with me to experience the 3D.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.