IGNORED

New Oscars category: Academy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film

Nick R

1 minute ago, McCoy said:

If it was up for Best Director I might agree but surely Best Film should just be judged on the merits of the end result. If we're to judge whether or not a film is the 'Best Film' then you surely just have to look at the end result.  You can't give extra marks because the Director donated his wages to charity or deduct marks because the leading actor kicked a dog one weekend when he wasn't working. If you want to go down that path then you may as well avoid the pretence of judging a film on its artistic merits and just rename the award the Oscars Best Humans award. 

The Christopher Plummer Role Model award? 

It’s a very average list for what was a great year of film. But that’s hardly surprising with the Academy. Roma and The Favourite are the standouts of the nominated films, and I’d be happy for either to win. Vice, Green Book and BlacKkKlansman I found very enjoyable. The rest are largely bobbins.

Still, got that Monday booked off work, so I’ll be staying up all night with lots of refreshments to watch it all unfold.

Looking over the full nominations, my initial thoughts:

Lead actor is anyones, the whole list could easily win it. Lead actress IMO is between Glenn Close (The Wife) and Olivia Colman (The Favourite).
Glad (and fully deserved) nod for Mahershala Ali, the moment I saw Green Book, coming out the LFF screening last year I said he would win an Oscar for that performance, really hope he does.

Ethan Hawke not being in the list for Best Actor is bonkers.
Surprised Won’t You Be My Neighbor and They Shall Not Grow Old didn't get nods for Best Documentary category.
Real shame The Guilty and Burning are not up for Best Foreign Language Film.

Nothing for You Were Never Really Here, Leave No Trace., Eighth Grade, Toni Collette (for Hereditary) nor any technical nods for Mission: Impossible: Fallout is very surprising.

If this is the 2019 Oscars thread now, someone should change the thread title... 

Well, I don't want to break a yearly habit, so here's my inevitably wrong picks! 

Best Picture
Black Panther

I think the academy will want to get in on the zeitgeist, and try and look inclusive/relevant. They aren't

Best Director
Adam McKay (Vice)

MOR American story directed by an MOR American director vs. what the academy will see as eurotrash and an anti-republican Black man

Best Actor
Bradley Cooper (A Star is Born)

All-American and presents as a moderate republican (he's not). Has a lot of power in Hollywood. This one, for me, is nailed-on despite people thinking Bale is the shoe-in. 

Best Actress
Yalitza Aparicio (Roma)
Glenn Close (The Wife)
Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born)
Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)

I can't predict this, but the safe choice is Glenn Close. I think they are all in with a shout though. 

Best Supporting Actress
Emma Stone (The Favourite)

This is more kind of hopeful, as i think she deserves it. 

Best Supporting Actor
Sam Elliott (A Star Is Born)

Best Foreign-Language Film
Cold War (Poland)

I think the Netflix angle is going to mean Roma gets pretty much snubbed. 

Best Animated Feature
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

I'm going to be naive here and say that sanity will prevail, and this will win out. 

Best Original Screenplay
The Favourite

Surely yeah? The ending is shit (and this comes from a Lanthimos fan) but the rest of it is superb. 

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

They won't snub this as hard as Roma, because Coens. 

4 hours ago, K said:

Bohemian Rhapsody is an odd choice for a best picture nomination given that the credited director was sacked after two months of shooting because he was “absent” *coughs repeatedly*.

It’s hardly going to win, but it’s a bit of a weird thing to choose to put it centre-stage by nominating it for the most reported-on award in film, post-Weinstein. It’s like nominating that Kevin Spacey film where they hurriedly and very expensively edited him out completely for best picture. Spacey and/or Singer are unlikely to be sat with the producers while the nominations are read out, but it would make you notice their absence. 

It’s nothing like that. All the money in the World was utter dogshit. It’s three months since I saw Bohemian Rhapsody and it’s still playing multiple times in same cinema. That’s phenomenal.

As for Bryan Singer, don’t see what that has to do with anything, Hollywood is a sewer, just cos we happen to know a dodgy bloke was involved in one movie hardly means all the others are whiter than white. 

Movies are entertainment, no problem at all with a very successful movie getting a nomination, certainly when all the talk is of the utter snooze fest that is Roma.

Bohemian Rhapsody shouldn't have been discounted because of Singer's involvement. It should have been discounted because it was shit. Like properly, objectively shit. The whole film was just campy references to Queen songs, with Brian May pulling a stupid face to make sure the stupid audience caught the stupid reference, then they play the Queen song. Except at the end, where they play the Queen song in front of a really shitty CGI crowd.

Anyway, I'm a bit disappointed that Isle of Dogs didn't get more nominations, but I don't think it resonated as well with most people as it did me. From what I've seen, I'd be happy enough for The Favourite to clean up.

I thought Roma was extraordinary and my favourite film I've seen all year by quite a way.

I've heard quite a few people call it boring, but it's just got a different pace which felt like a breath of fresh air. And it has three truly extraordinary scenes that really hit me.

Black Panther for Best Movie is ridiculous. I liked the film but c'mon, it's not even the best Marvel film of last year let alone best Superhero movie. It's nomination just smacks of those old white rich blokes in the Academy saying "look, we're not racist, ok". 

12 hours ago, Azrael said:

Black Panther for Best Movie is ridiculous. I liked the film but c'mon, it's not even the best Marvel film of last year let alone best Superhero movie. It's nomination just smacks of those old white rich blokes in the Academy saying "look, we're not racist, ok". 

I think it must be the only Marvel film they've seen, or at least pretended to have done, in order to seem cool and down with the kids.

11 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I think it must be the only Marvel film they've seen, or at least pretended to have done, in order to seem cool and down with the kids.

In order to appear to have fixed the racism issue.

"look, my favourite film is black".

By any measure it is not an Oscar winning film. If it does win, it basically belittles every previous winner as it lowers the bar so much.