rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nick R

New Oscars category: Academy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film

38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Academy recognized that implementing any new award nine months into the year creates challenges for films that have already been released.

I don't understand that reasoning at all. Are people only making films targeted at winning specific Oscars?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I don't understand that reasoning at all. Are people only making films targeted at winning specific Oscars?

Presumably studios will be working on their promotional campaigns for the Oscars already, so introducing a new category aimed at big films that will need a lot of publicity will be a logistical headache for the industry.

Well despite not getting their bespoke category, looks like Disney's tireless 'campaigning' paid off as Black Panther has inexplicably been nominated for best picture.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Well despite not getting their bespoke category, looks like Disney's tireless 'campaigning' paid off as Black Panther has inexplicably been nominated for best picture.

:lol::lol:

• Upvote 1

Best Picture
BlacKkKlansman
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma
A Star is Born
Vice

Best Director
Alfonso Cuarón (Roma)
Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite)
Spike Lee (BlacKkKlansman)
Adam McKay (Vice)
Pawel Pawlikowski (Cold War)

Best Actor
Christian Bale (Vice)
Bradley Cooper (A Star is Born)
Willem Dafoe (At Eternity's Gate)
Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
Viggo Mortensen (Green Book)

Best Actress
Yalitza Aparicio (Roma)
Glenn Close (The Wife)
Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born)
Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams (Vice)
Marina de Tavira (Roma)
Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)
Emma Stone (The Favourite)
Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali (Green Book)
Adam Driver (BlacKkKlansman)
Sam Elliott (A Star Is Born)
Richard E Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
Sam Rockwell (Vice)

Best Foreign-Language Film
Capernaum (Lebanon)
Cold War (Poland)
Never Look Away (Germany)
Roma (Mexico)
Shoplifters (Japan)

Best Animated Feature
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Best Original Screenplay
The Favourite
First Reformed
Green Book
Roma
Vice

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
BlacKkKlansman
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
If Beale Street Could Talk
A Star is Born

Best Animated Short
Animal Behaviour
Bao
Late Afternoon
One Small Step
Weekends

Best Live Action Short
Detainment
Fauve
Marguerite
Mother
Skin

Best Original Score
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
If Beale Street Could Talk
Isle of Dogs
Mary Poppins Returns

Achievement in Cinematogrpahy
Cold War
The Favourite
Never Look Away
Roma
A Star is Born

More

Can anyone remember a time when a film nominated for Best Picture did not have a nomination in any of the actor/actress catgeories or direction or cinematography or screenplay?

They are  saying that Black Panther should be considered as the best film of the year, whilst saying that no aspect of its performance is worthy of nomination.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Can anyone remember a time when a film nominated for Best Picture did not have a nomination in any of the actor/actress catgeories or direction or cinematography or screenplay?

They are  saying that Black Panther should be considered as the best film of the year, whilst saying that no aspect of its performance is worthy of nomination.

I was going to say Return of the King but didn't Peter Jackson get Best Director too?

1 minute ago, Boothjan said:

I was going to say Return of the King but didn't Peter Jackson get Best Director too?

Yes, and also Return of the king won 11 oscars!

• Upvote 1

Just now, PeteBrant said:

Return of the king won 14 oscars!

Yes I know it won loads - but no nominations in any of the acting categories.  TBH I can't remember which Oscars it won!

1 minute ago, Harsin said:

Ian McKellan was nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

<Returns to thread>

Aha!  No he didn't - that was for The Fellowship of the Ring.

4 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Yes I know it won loads - but no nominations in any of the acting categories.  TBH I can't remember which Oscars it won!

Ian McKellan was nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

EDIT: For Fellowship of the Ring rather than Return of the King.

10 minutes ago, Naieve said:

Lulz, it's like the 4th best superhero movie of 2018 and if you include cartoons it goes down to #6. It wouldn't even have won the Pleb Funko Pop Horseshit Award.

Which two cartoons would push it down, out of Incredibles 2, Into the Spider-Verse, and Teen Titans Go to the Movies? (Haven't seen the latter!)

For the record, my ranking of the year's superhero would be:

1. Avengers Infinity War - Not the best, I admit many of the criticisms of it are valid, but my favourite because l'm a sucker for Familiar Characters Meet Each Other: The Movie.

2. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - So good.

3. Black Panther - The one-on-one fight climax is relatively weak - though it's worth it for the villain's final line - but until then it's in the upper tier of MCU movies, with one of the best villains. (Plus Shuri!) I'd say it's too flawed to be a serious Best Picture nominee, but worse things have won in the past. Also, as much as we might argue that a work should be considered in a vacuum, the film can't be divorced from its cultural impact - which in years to come could well develop into lasting importance, we'll see.

4. Incredibles 2 - Still really good, just not as near-perfect as the first one.

5. Deadpool 2 - I laughed several times. Including at the second-best post-credits scene of the year.

6. Aquaman - Good fun and impressive for its sheer spectacle. That's about it though.

7. Ant-Man and the Wasp - It's there, it exists, it's entertaining enough.

14 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Which two cartoons would push it down, out of Incredibles 2, Into the Spider-Verse, and Teen Titans Go to the Movies? (Haven't seen the latter!)

For the record, my ranking of the year's superhero would be:

1. Avengers Infinity War - Not the best, I admit many of the criticisms of it are valid, but my favourite because l'm a sucker for Familiar Characters Meet Each Other: The Movie.

2. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - So good.

3. Black Panther - The one-on-one fight climax is relatively weak - though it's worth it for the villain's final line - but until then it's in the upper tier of MCU movies, with one of the best villains. (Plus Shuri!) I'd say it's too flawed to be a serious Best Picture nominee, but worse things have won in the past. Also, as much as we might argue that a work should be considered in a vacuum, the film can't be divorced from its cultural impact - which in years to come could well develop into lasting importance, we'll see.

4. Incredibles 2 - Still really good, just not as near-perfect as the first one.

5. Deadpool 2 - I laughed several times. Including at the second-best post-credits scene of the year.

6. Aquaman - Good fun and impressive for its sheer spectacle. That's about it though.

7. Ant-Man and the Wasp - It's there, it exists, it's entertaining enough.

Into the Spider-Verse, and Teen Titans Go to the Movies. I forgot about Incredibles 2 (Pixar are their own Genre in my head I think)

Bohemian Rhapsody is an odd choice for a best picture nomination given that the credited director was sacked after two months of shooting because he was “absent” *coughs repeatedly*.

It’s hardly going to win, but it’s a bit of a weird thing to choose to put it centre-stage by nominating it for the most reported-on award in film, post-Weinstein. It’s like nominating that Kevin Spacey film where they hurriedly and very expensively edited him out completely for best picture. Spacey and/or Singer are unlikely to be sat with the producers while the nominations are read out, but it would make you notice their absence. 

11 minutes ago, K said:

Bohemian Rhapsody is an odd choice for a best picture nomination given that the credited director was sacked after two months of shooting because he was “absent” *coughs repeatedly*.

It’s hardly going to win, but it’s a bit of a weird thing to choose to put it centre-stage by nominating it for the most reported-on award in film, post-Weinstein. It’s like nominating that Kevin Spacey film where they hurriedly and very expensively edited him out completely for best picture. Spacey and/or Singer are unlikely to be sat with the producers while the nominations are read out, but it would make you notice their absence. 

If it was up for Best Director I might agree but surely Best Film should just be judged on the merits of the end result. If we're to judge whether or not a film is the 'Best Film' then you surely just have to look at the end result.  You can't give extra marks because the Director donated his wages to charity or deduct marks because the leading actor kicked a dog one weekend when he wasn't working. If you want to go down that path then you may as well avoid the pretence of judging a film on its artistic merits and just rename the award the Oscars Best Humans award. 

1 hour ago, linkster said:

How the hell are Coogan and Reilly not in there for best actor?

2019 release? I don't know what the window is for what qualifies though. 

My guesses are Close to win best actress, because the only reason she's on there is because it's her turn. Amy Adams for supporting (and probably deserved), but should have had a proper actress gong by now. Cuarón for best director, because you can bet the film itself won't win anything. Votes to homogenize and make A Star Is Born win Best Picture by being everyone's safe bet second or third favourite.  

Actor categories seem wide open though. Bale seems favourite for that. Cooper outside bet. 

Mahershala Ali down as supporting actor confirms some of the complaints about Green Room. Probably top of the list, but I reckon Sam Elliott might get it. 

Cold War for foreign flicks. I bet Spider-man doesn't win animated because Oscars, I don't care what else does. They'll be a spread of everyone winning something rather than dominating. Black Panther will go away with Best Costume.