Clipper

Rllmuk Dungeons and Dragons 5e - Tomb of Annihilation

As the Storm King's Thunder campaign has reached a significant point (although not the end as such) it is time to switch to a new campaign, albeit a continuation of the world and characters as well. Foehammer, Kel'doran,Farren, Billin and Lori are still here at their base of Zymorven Hall but all is not well. Three of them died in the SKT campaign and all three are now suffering from a curse. This causes their HP to drop by one a day and can cause exhaustion every day! The curse is a mystery...

Anyway long story short the next campaign is...

2cdz5ed.jpg.8ca0dec619204a72fc0aa547a0dbf92d.jpg

For now we have 6 players in the new campaign

@Mogster

@The Hierophant

@MDY

@Hexx

@Rikku

@Aegolas

Five of the new characters are adventurers who have been employed by the party (albeit via the manager of Zymorven Hall :D ) to help keep the hall and road safe... and now they are about to the plunged into an intriguing investigation into a death curse which is affecting the whole world.

At the moment we know the new party are as follows

Halfling Sorceror

Aasimar Bard

Aasimar Paladin

Dwarven Cleric

Human Monk

a big thanks to @Graham S retired for the idea on how to continue but not have to build tons and tons of homebrew material and still use campaign books.

3/9/2018 - session 1/52 - meetings - day 1 to 2 (120-121)

After their brutal victory over Iymrith the party return to Zymorven Hall but not without some worry... Kel'doran, Farren and Foehammer seem struck with a sickness which saps the constitution and exhausts them. Spetzer told them it seemed to be a curse of some description as he couldn't cure it.

On arrival they are approached by an apologetic Liseera. She explains rapidly and nervously that the guards have been recalled by Silverymoon and they were no longer covering the bills. She then said that she tried to recruit simple guards but had no luck as most commoners of that bent were employed by towns and cities. She wanted to ensure the Hall was defended as well as the road and the surrounding environs, the same way Lord Zymorven used to. So she advertised for adventurers and got five who seemed accomplished. Liseera then tells them that it costs 300gp to run the place per month plus 150gp for the two dwarven engineers who were building a cellar and 250gp for the new party of adventurers. Billin paid up (as party treasurer).

At this point she mentions that Lori has returned, so they went to meet her. She explains that when she left she told her Grandfather all she had found but he seemed to think her time was best served investigating the Frost giants. Jarl Storvald wanted to top the ordning by obtaining the Ring of Winter and return Faerun to an ice age so he could rule the ordning. Lori went and adventured with Harshnag and collated information. The upshot was that she had heard that the ring was in fact in the possession of a Harper called Artus Cimber. He was nowhere to be found but rumour had it he had gone to Chult and the Frost Giants were in hot pursuit. Lori returned to the party to get their help.

They explained their position to her and about the curse etc. At this point the party decided to meet the new party!

Lori,Farren and Foehammer met Roscoe and Feneth. Roscoe is a halfling sorceror with great power but he is not sure of where it comes from! Feneth on the other hand is a monk who operates via controlling his power or Ki. The party ask them to show what they can do... Feneth tries to hit Kel'doran but Kel ducks easily... Feneth follows up with a pucnh which hits him catching him off guard completely. They are impressed. Roscoe takes a more unusual route by firing a fire bolt at a painting of lady Zymorven which instantly goes up in flames despite Kel'doran  trying to put it out. Again they are impressed with that.

Farren and Billin  meet Errick, Krynn and Ariana. Krynn and Ariana are sisters , one a paladin, one a bard, both are aasimar - unusual colouring and features in these lands. Ariana plays a beautiful tune on her ukelele revealing her bardic abilities and Krynn reveals she is a holy warrior, a paladin. Errick on the other hand is a squat ugly dwarf who reveals nothing of his skills and seems tricky to judge.. stoic with an interest in honour and work.

The evening passes with good food and very good dwarven ale.

Next morning Liseera asks the new adventurers to go and help a local farmer. Meanwhile our trusty troupe of old wait for their ship to arrive so they can go to Silverymoon to consult with the Harpers about this new curse.

The new group head out to the farm and are not surprised at all by two constrictor snakes slithering from the bushes. Feneth steps up and tries to punch the badly hidden snakes and misses. He then uses patient defence. Roscoe uses firebolt and hits a snake for fairly minor damage. Errick uses toll the dead on the snakes and damages them. Krynn hits a snake and kills it. Ariana reassures Feneth about his prowess and inspires him. The remaining snake misses. Feneth gets a hit in ,Roscoe misses with a firebolt then errick kills the snake.

After easily despatching the snakes the party move on til they find the farm. It is threadbare and poor looking but the farmer looks a proud man. He tells them of goblin raids and the party head off til they find a goblin camp with 4 goblins and a hobgoblin leader.

The party try to stealthily approach and two of the goblins are trying to hide in the undergrowth, neither hide well at all. Krynn tries to talk down the Hobgoblin telling him the giants have left. THe Hobgoblin says he knows but they have to live and any intimidation fails so a fight ensues. Roscoe firebolts and hits a goblin killing it dead instantly (impressive). Krynn stalks forth and bangs her shield to get attention and hold forth. The HobGoblin fires a wicked looking arrow but it misses. Feneth darts to the bushes,hits one goblin and misses the other. Ariana inspires Feneth again and uses bane with some success on the goblins. The Goblins hit feneth giving him a nasty wound. Errick tolls the dead causing damage.

Roscoe kills another goblin with a critical hit then Krynn throws a javalin killing another (1 goblin left now). The Hobgoblin fires an arrow grievously wounding Krynn in one shot but not quite downing the paladin. Feneth hits the final goblin killing it. Ariana rushes forward and cures wounds on her sister. Errick tolls the dead but this time it fails. Roscoe gets Magic Missile hit on the hobgoblin leader but he isn't dead! Krynn throws a javelin but misses and finally Feneth gets the killing blow.

Searching the camp they find 6 copper and 3 silver. They return to the farmer who thanks them profusely and gives them some of his milk. In return the party give him the coins they found at the camp and the farmer is shocked and appreciative.

The sad goblin encampment that struggled to survive with their masters gone has been destroyed and the party return to the Hall.

The party heading to Silverymoon have a differently traumatic time as they realise that Delsaphine was revived by Tamth and so he is also suffering the death curse. He seems weaker and the party know he does not have a strong constitution. On arrival at Silverymoon they go to see Akir and tell him of the curse (as well as the victory over Iymrith and Storm Giant information) and he takes them to see Syndra Silvane, an old Harper. She receives them even though it is late and tells them about the death curse. She was once an adventurer and she has the curse as she died herself and was revived many years ago. SHe tells them that they believe that there is an artifact called the Soulmonger which is taking souls from all who have died since its activation. In addition, if a person has died the curse reduces their constitution till they die and their soul is claimed. Not content with that it is thought that revivification magics do not currently work and souls are claimed as death takes hold!

She tells them that her information leads her to believe that the soulmonger is in the far distant continent of Chult and a party need to go forth and find this artifact and destroy it. The party tell her they are suffering from the curse and she says that those affected should not be involved. The party mention the new party and she says she will come to Zymorven to speak with them.

9/9/2018 - session 2/53 - revelations and teleportation - day 2 to 3 (121-122)

As we rejoin our heroes we see the fresh new party return to Zymorven Hall. Errick and Roscoe spot a castle seemingly floating in the sky, none of them have heard of such a thing before. They go into the hall and ahead of them in the main hall looms a 28ft tall Cloud Giant. Errick considers the situation and blurts out "fuck me it's a giant" and darts back. The rest of the party follow suit. The giant introduces herself as Countess Sansuri and asks where the owners are. The party reply that they are not here and that they are not worth bothering with. The countess chuckles and tells them she is a friend and just wants to talk to the owners. They ask "about what?" and she says "death" which causes Errick to run to tell the dwarven engineers, Gili and Orin, to pack their stuff and get ready to run. Sansurri sets their minds at "rest" and they go and eat and drink in a rather tense atmosphere.

As night falls late on Sansurri says she will return in the morning and leaves for her castle. Errick goes and sleeps in the forest with the two dwarven engineers (getting spooked by rabbits at dawn) and the rest do an evening watch at the Hall. The clouds seem unnaturally thick and there is a persistent drizzle.

Day 3/122

The next morning all is well and the ship returns. The party once again talk to Delsaphine leaving him in no doubt as to his condition. He is asked if he wants to consult with Klauth and he indicates that he knows that would bring trouble on the party who had done so much for him and Klauth probably wouldn't help anyway. Lori asks if he wants anyone to get a message... he thinks long and hard and says he does have family in Mirabar and maybe she could pass message to Evelith Laserie, his sister, to say he is always thinking of her. Lori agrees and says he should rest in the Hall, he accepts.

The party arrive and Liseera tries to blurt out all the information before Sansurri knocks on the door. Liseera lets her in and there follows a fairly intense conversation. Billin and Farren both spot that she seems, despite her bravado, uneasy as if she is afraid of them. She asks them if there is anything unusual at the hall possibly left behind by the cloaked figure she brought with her to kill Zymorven. The party then berate her regarding how she murdered Zymorven, but she seems unrepentant. War is war and he was troublesome, she used a member of the red Wizards to turn Zymorven into the undead. The red wizards of Thay are known for their powerful necromancy and their treachery so she wanted to see if there was anything left behind that was affecting her kin as she had some who had fallen sick.

The penny dropped and Kel'doran explained the curse (or most of it) and she seemed amazed at how far the power could reach. Talk then turned to the giants ordning. She explained that the ordning is not yet solid, The Hill and Stone Giants are back inline as are her own kind. But the Fire Giants are determined to complete the Vonindod and the Frost Giants are an unknown quantity. Hekaton plans to approach the Frost Giants and Sansurri says that they hope that the party can help quell the Fire Giants and stop the Vonindod. She says that the plan is to break the Vonindod , give the parts to the different giant clans to be hidden/buried and destroy Maegera (although they don't know where she is!). She tells the party that her castle could be a distraction at Ironslag as the party mount an assault/incursion. She tells them she will be at Ironslag in 15 days and to rendevous there. The party know that the cloud castle is probably quicker than that but they don't press her.

Finally she departs and the party discuss plans. They are to go to Ironslag and they will ask the new party to go to Chult with Syndra to try and solve the death curse. Foehammer and Syndra go and speak to the party. Foehammer is stoic and explains the situation and the glory to be had. Syndra repeats the information regarding the death curse. Roscoe and Feneth seem sold immediately, Errick hearing this is concerned about something and says he needs to go. Krynn and Ariana talk at one side (unheard) and Feneth asks for the map of chult and is given short shrift by Syndra. Krynn is concerned that the soulmonger has taken "them" and needs to go and help but she worries for her sister. Ariana is similarly worried and wants to be by Krynn's side always... there is some lovely RP I cannot do justice to here and the two vow to go together.

Syndra then shows them a map of Chult alot of which is blank as the jungles are mostly unknown as undead roam there and drove out the indigenous people.

Shortly after this and packed to go the new party teleport with Syndra to Chult. The heat and colour and vibrancy is an assault on the senses as they appear on a harbour at Port Nyanzaru. The colours and music and street performers and general bustle overwhelms the adventurers as Syndra stands serenely. She tells them that she is staying with the merchant Prince Wakanga. She tells them to sort themselves board and lodgings at either the House of Repose or the Thundering Lizard. She mentions they will likely need supplies and a guide. When asked she gives them 50gp each for expenses like raincatchers and possibly canoes!. The continent is large and foreboding and they ask what they are meant to do. Syndra tells them to go round town, ask questions check out rumours, explore.

The party stand for a moment looking at their map, they look around overwhelmed by colour, heat and sound... lost in this new continent. Then the germ of the adventurer twinkles within them and they decide to go to the temples, the nearest is the temple of Gond. On arrival Errick recognises this sort of temple, if not the gods. This is a place that worships the work and artistry of the artesan. Beautifully worked stone work leads to a fountain engineered to display watery images of trades. Roscoe goes and knocks on a door to presented with a caretaker who seems to know little. He asks about a curse and the caretaker knows not , he only knows of the common diseases of mad monkey disease and shivering sickness. They ask if people have a death curse but he knows of noone with it. They ask about Wakanga and he points them to the Merchant ward. They ask for a priest of Gond and the caretakert seems to misunderstand but Errick does not... eventually the caretaker points them to the Temple of savras if they need a priest...

And with that the party stumble back out onto the streets, people bustle around our tourists as we leave them for another week!

• Upvote 2

I would be so up for getting involved again. How disruptive do you think it would be? Realistically. Sunday nights are bed time at 8pm so would need 10 minutes and then another few minutes at 8.30pm. 

people do drop out every so often through the session having to BRB because of kids, cats, eating so 10 mins here and there wouldnt be a disaster at all.

EDIT - a quick chat with Rikku and happy to say she is joining the new campaign.

Anyone else tempted to join feel free it is a lvl 1 fresh start as I say. I am happy to run with more so don't be shy

Great to have you back! :D

I think I'm more excited about this than I am about finishing the current campaign. Not that I'm not exited about that, but you know.  New characters!

• Upvote 1

The SKT campaign has been a long haul 50+ sessions. The best part is that there are chunks of the book you didn't even go to and chunks that were homebrewed :D

And this campaign is officially a continuation anyway as the original party are still around in some way shape or form :D

Anyway I am excited too but it does mean my reading book for my holiday next week is the new campaign book. Talking of which I am away from tomorrow til week on saturday so if you send me sheets and stuff don't be surprised if you don't get a reply, I am in UK but not necessarily internet connected.

Same goes for other prospective new party members please post in here but if you don't hear back for a week don't worry.

• Upvote 1

Ooh. Nice to see you guys starting a new campaign. Not sure if I have the confidence to join with a character but I look forward to seeing what adventurers you all come up with. I might even pop in to have a listen every now and then (though I'm pretty sure I accidentally deleted the D&D discord from my list of servers on a clear out).

• Upvote 1

This sounds tempting. I’ve not played D&D for about 30 years, but I’ve been listening to critical role and have recently bought a players handbook. When do you normally play?

• Upvote 1

Sunday nights 730 til 10

we are a friendly bunch and I can help with character sheets and stuff - or one of the other players can :-) 

1st level is ideal time to join :-) 

58 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I have 2 character sheets in - more are always welcome :)

I have like 4 more half completed. Mostly different classes :P

15 hours ago, Hexx said:

I have like 4 more half completed. Mostly different classes :P

I have one concept but figured out three different ways to implement it and I am totally stuck on what to do. I think I have gone full circle! :lol:

59 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

I have one concept but figured out three different ways to implement it and I am totally stuck on what to do. I think I have gone full circle! :lol:

Have you done a backstory or have an idea WHO the character is yet - which is most apt for them? Or just go on whichever you think would be the most fun !

9 minutes ago, MDY said:

Have you done a backstory or have an idea WHO the character is yet - which is most apt for them? Or just go on whichever you think would be the most fun !

That’s the problem!  I have had the basic concept and backstory worked out for ages. I’ve just figured more than one way to do it. 

Given that I cannot decide and the rest of the party I think I may just start with the simplest and see how that works out!

12 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

That’s the problem!  I have had the basic concept and backstory worked out for ages. I’ve just figured more than one way to do it. 

Given that I cannot decide and the rest of the party I think I may just start with the simplest and see how that works out!

If all else fails..

/roll 1d3

:D

27 minutes ago, MDY said:

If all else fails..

/roll 1d3

:D

I did that and got

"I have different assumptions from those around me concerning personal space."

"I have a weakness for the exotic beauty of the people of these lands."

Which sounds a bit too creepy :D

3 hours ago, Hexx said:

I did that and got

"I have different assumptions from those around me concerning personal space."

"I have a weakness for the exotic beauty of the people of these lands."

Which sounds a bit too creepy :D

Far Traveller Background?

On 25/08/2018 at 10:12, Aegolas said:

Hello there,  i would like to join up if I may. 

Having chatted on message etc we are happy to welcome you. I will message you seperately about character etc.

I have sent you all messages about backstory for new party etc please do let me know of any iussues or any other tweaks you want to do.

I know you are sending me pics of the characters etc I will add those to OP once I have enough etc and can reveal more about characters. Pics are not essential by the way!

I've actually got quite attached to my character while making it. And normally I'm more interested in the mechanics/abilities of a characters than their story. :lol:

I hope nothing bad happens to him

You're the healer. From personal experience the NPCs Clipper plays are smart enough to know to target the healer first.

Good luck! :bye: