New series featuring Amy Adams who plays a journalist going back to her home town to investigate a murder. Beautifully shot, edited and acted. Stands head and shoulders above any other series I've watched in a while. Been watching it on HBO but believe Sky Atlantic have it too. 

Yes, enjoying this a lot. It's very slow burn, lots of potential bad 'uns who could be killers/psychos/red herrings. Weird characters, dodgy family set-ups and quite gory with all the self harm and alcohol abuse going on. Deep rooted family trauma and secrets galore. It's all rather dense. 

5th episode tonight and I'm still not sure who to trust or what's actually going on. I think Amy Adams is great in this, playing a very damaged and possibly a very unreliable 'narrator'.

Beautifully photographed and some great Led Zeppelin too. 

How many Eps left?

There's only 8 episodes apparently. 

Not sure I'd describe Amy Adams character as the narrator, she's the principal and the story is mostly told from her perspective but there's no narration as such. 

Yes sorry, I could have been clearer, that's why I put the quotation marks around narrator.  The story is kind of from her perspective, even though it's not a story she's telling. I was referencing the 'unreliable narrator' that's often used in literature.

Only started watched last week, I'll be watching episode 5 tonight, it's really good. Such great editing and acting, Amy Adams is incredible.

Not as thrilled by it as you guys.

7 episodes in and it’s been very slow in places - shouldve been a shorter episode run.

The standout is the little cutaways and disjointed editing that happens around Camille’s character whenever she’s alone or gets wasted. Remarkable stuff.

The plot has been fairly predictable, and I’ve suspected the killer from the first episode, and it isn’t either of the people they set up in ep 7, though given the writing pedigree I’m hoping for a big rug pull, there’s definitely some info about Camille the show is witholding.

• Upvote 1

I’m enjoying it but probably agree with @grindmouse. @Black Cat Supremacist mentions the dark brooding atmosphere but it’s layed-on with a trowel and Amy Adams’ more nuanced performance is at odds with many other’. Her mum for instance, and the character of the town as a whole, is about as subtle as a brick. 

Still, I’m enjoying it a lot and would recommend it highly. 

I just noticed season 2 of The Sinner has now started. Another good show to add to the list.

I love anything that’s a little bit disjointed and incoherent. Sharp Objects certainly feels like that in the earlier episodes until you put it all together.

I’m a sucker for that whole Southern USA locale in which everyone seems to be operating at 25% due to the heat and humidity.

I’ve found it all mesmerising as the whole town seems to give an ‘off’ vibe. I’m absolutely fine with the reveal as it certainly fits in with what has gone before.

• Upvote 1

Really enjoyed this so far - as mentioned up-thread, the editing in particular and how it informs memories is incredible and really unsettling - but finding myself *slightly* disappointed with it as it builds to a conclusion. I think I've sussed where it's going and it's a little too trite for my liking. Still, I suppose that is a failing of the source material, not the tv show.

The amount of booze drunk by, seemingly every character, has got to be some sort of record though.

Thoughts/speculation re: where it’s going...

Spoiler

The mother munchausen-by-proxy has to be a red herring, right? It might be related to her sisters death but that is all.

The way Camille’s boss reacted to her phone call was odd, there’s something happening there that isn’t what it seems.

Feel like that conversation with her step-father was a red herring, too.

Initially I thought the younger sister  (Amma?) was the killer, and given how little the other characters are fleshed out I’d still bet on this, and that the brother was framed.

But I also thought Camille was implicated in her sisters death, given her room mate subsequently died, but after ep7 I think this too was misdirection.

If it is straightforward and the killer is her mother, and the brother, I will be disappointed.

My guess is that

Adora is guilty of poisoning her daughter and is in the process of doing it to Amma which is seemingly common knowledge based on the reactions of people, but with the two girls being viciously murdered it was either the police chief who wants Adora or headphone husband who she won't let near her, either in cahoots with her or out of frustration in the interest she showed in the girls respectively.

Can't find it but there was a shot in the last episode of Camille and Amma skating back from the party, Amma kind of lurches behind her like she's some kind of vampire and it's the creepiest thing I've seen in ages.

Absolutely loved that last episode.

Camille faking to protect Amma - why not just go straight to hunky policeman and tell him Adora's up to her tricks rather than sub in and almost get herself killed?

The husband just ending up being gormless as well as sexless was surprising, he must have known what was happening but then the police chief knew about the original daughter for sure so maybe there was nothing to get him on

Mildly disappointed with the ending, still thought the show as a whole was great through. 

Spoiler

You could see the younger sisters involvement along with the teeth - ivory connection coming a fair distance away.

You could predict who the killer was going to be from episode 1 or 2.

This would’ve been an ok 2 hour movie. Stringing it out for a 6-7 hour 8 episode series did not work.

Aside from some atmospheric and excellent editing, this was a disappointing series given the talent involved. The core story just wasn’t strong enough.

What an ending. Really well done and unbelievably tense. There’s a final scene mid credits as well. You could certainly discuss the logic behind a characters motive but that makes the whole thing all the more interesting. 

Hopefully this gets a bit of recognition during awards season. Amy Adams is absolutely stellar. 

• Upvote 1

On 29/08/2018 at 05:21, Black Cat Supremacist said:

What an ending. Really well done and unbelievably tense. There’s a final scene mid credits as well. You could certainly discuss the logic behind a characters motive but that makes the whole thing all the more interesting. 

Hopefully this gets a bit of recognition during awards season. Amy Adams is absolutely stellar. 

There's a final scene at the end of the credits too.

I really enjoyed it. I'm normally terrible at working out who dunnit but it seemed fairly obvious in this. It didn't matter though, the murder mystery was just a vehicle for the characters to play out. In the first few episodes I thought there was a friction between Amy Adams' story (and how it was playing out) against the over the top gothic delivery of the other family characters (and the town itself). I let go of this as the show went on though and it all pretty much worked as the over the top elements just got bigger and swept everything else along with it. 

All in all a great show and Amy Adams in particular was brilliant. 

Great season of skincrawling feelbad fun. Some real directorial and editing flourishes on display and some powerful performances to enjoy. Pieced the major points together before the reveals but it didn't detract.