rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard

All the talk of "faith" in the teaser set off alarm bells for me, I could hear Burnham delivering it while staring earnestly into the middle distance. Hopefully this has nothing to do with the level of thoughtless pseudo-profound cliche that will be in the actual script.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Halkyon said:

All the talk of "faith" in the teaser set off alarm bells for me, I could hear Burnham delivering it while staring earnestly into the middle distance. Hopefully this has nothing to do with the level of thoughtless pseudo-profound cliche that will be in the actual script.

I wonder if Picard has got faith of the heart?

'Cause I've got faith of the heart
I'm going where my heart will take me
I've got faith to believe
I can do anything
I've got strength of the soul
No one's going to bend nor break me
I can reach any star
I've got faith
I've got faith
Faith of the heart

• Upvote 6

I rewatched Enterprise on Netflix recently and really enjoyed it. Season 3 was great, especially how beat up the NX got over time, it almost felt like a better version of Voyager in that regard.

Anyway, back on topic, at least we now know that Picard finally made Admiral.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Anyway, back on topic, at least we now know that Picard finally made Admiral.

Which is interesting in and of itself, considering Kirk’s advice to him in Generations: ‘Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.’

Then again, they were both quite different captains. Maybe Picard found being an Admiral was eventually what he needed, whereas to Kirk it felt like being a leopard trapped in a cage. 

2 hours ago, Jg15 said:

I can see Dorn and Frakes reprising their roles in some form, both have been actively involved in Trek for many years.

Will also be interesting to see how a post Discovery version of Worf will look like.

Frakes is directing a couple of episodes so I am sure Riker will at the very least have a cameo. Hopefully it will be a bigger role, though.

1 hour ago, Garibaldi said:

Which is interesting in and of itself, considering Kirk’s advice to him in Generations: ‘Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.’

Then again, they were both quite different captains. Maybe Picard found being an Admiral was eventually what he needed, whereas to Kirk it felt like being a leopard trapped in a cage. 

I can see Picard in more of an Admiral role, only being used by the Federation for major diplomacy missions (which we saw him undertake plenty of times in TNG). I remember that episode where Riker wakes up in a fake future where he now commands the Enterprise and Picard is an Admiral being sent to negotiate a treaty with the Romulans.

Kirk was always much more of an action man than Picard so it fits that he would benefit less from being an Admiral.

48 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Frakes is directing a couple of episodes so I am sure Riker will at the very least have a cameo. Hopefully it will be a bigger role, though.

Hey, perhaps we might even see good old Thomas Riker, Marquis defector and Will Riker imposter extraordinaire (that is if the Cardassians ever released him from prison of course).

Reading some making of stuff about TNG. Ira Steven Behr originally wrote what would later be rewritten to become Captain Picard's erotic adventures on the sex planet of Risa as an episode where Picard would be trapped in a hologram simulation where he was older, an admiral and Riker was captain, and has to face his fears about aging. P.Stew got wind of it and asked to meet him for lunch.

There is a rumour going around there is an episode where the captain has fears about growing old. I have to tell you there is no way I would do that episode.

The trouble with the show is the captain doesn’t get to fight and fuck enough. That’s what it needs more of.

• Upvote 2

I think he is just annoyed that Captain Kirk fought and fucked every episode.

I would definitely watch a modern version of that, but where Kirk is bisexual and also will bang any alien. Because normally the aliens he bangs happen to look like models from the 60s, and it's a bit samey.

11 hours ago, Harsin said:

Reading some making of stuff about TNG. Ira Steven Behr originally wrote what would later be rewritten to become Captain Picard's erotic adventures on the sex planet of Risa as an episode where Picard would be trapped in a hologram simulation where he was older, an admiral and Riker was captain, and has to face his fears about aging. P.Stew got wind of it and asked to meet him for lunch.

Where are you reading that? I love behind the scenes TNG stuff. 

Always surprises me to hear the stories about Stewart needing to be reigned in regarding his character. Being a classic actor, you’d think he’d have loved it, but maybe he’d spent too long on the stage, and thought TNG was more of the same with its philosophical speeches and musings on the human condition. I bet they tried to placate him every now and then with scenes like the one where Picard bests two Klingon assassins or picks a fight with Naussicans.

One of the integral points about Picard’s character is that he can fight but considers it a last resort/failure of diplomacy. Even Worf respected his capabilities. 

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

Where are you reading that? I love behind the scenes TNG stuff. 

This book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fifty-Year-Mission-Generation-Uncensored-Unauthorized-ebook/dp/B01BKMMGLC/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=star+trek+50+years+book&qid=1560427574&s=gateway&sprefix=star+trek+50+yea&sr=8-4

Follow up to this book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fifty-Year-Mission-Complete-Uncensored-Unauthorized-ebook/dp/B014PC4C4I/ref=pd_aw_sbs_351_1/261-8479878-6807469?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B014PC4C4I&pd_rd_r=a9784c68-8dd3-11e9-a933-d3b6ed4a0805&pd_rd_w=g3VRi&pd_rd_wg=8zPe8&pf_rd_p=d9539b3c-75e6-4bff-a48d-94806c2c2f83&pf_rd_r=09V3HPT6QSMENA1FP56K&psc=1&refRID=09V3HPT6QSMENA1FP56K

Quote from Gene Coon's secretary in the first one where she tells a story of how Gene Roddenberry came into the office one day and, completely unprompted, started boasting about how he’d gone back entrance to front entrance on Majel Barrett the night before and given her an infection. :blink:

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

Quote from Gene Coon's secretary in the first one where she tells a story of how Gene Roddenberry came into the office one day and, completely unprompted, started boasting about how he’d gone back entrance to front entrance on Majel Barrett the night before and given her an infection. :blink:

The Holy Rings of Betazed. 

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

Ah yes, I forgot those were out! Thanks, I'll probably pick them up.

10 hours ago, Harsin said:

Of course he probably said it like 'I went right from her jeffries tube to her turbolift.'

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Nicky said:

Theres rumours around apparently that Kurtzman has been "sacked"

This is going to be an absolute train wreck like S1 Discovery isn't it

9 hours ago, Duckula said:

This is going to be an absolute train wreck like S1 Discovery isn't it

The season he wasn't involved in and was vastly superior to season 2? Sure.