rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard

Another thumbs up for The Orville. It does indeed tone down the jokes massively after the first episode. And by the second season, you might as well just be watching TNG sometimes. They still throw in the odd joke, but they do it in a way that's not as jarring as when the show first started.

Whatever you think of McFarlane, it's clear that he loves Star Trek.

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed some of The Orville, but for me it was always a struggle to get past Seth McFarlane as the captain. Every role he plays feels marginally less jarring than a Tarantino appearance, and here he has about as much screen presence and gravitas as Scott Bakula did in Enterprise. 

And yes, I know that part of the plot is that earth has so many ships that not all of them are going to be filled with Picard 2.0, but you have to have some kind of bearing in a command role. He just looks like a guy cos-playing. 

I really think McFarlane grew into the role really well. Sure he never had the presence of Presence as Picard, but he worked really well as part of the ensemble.

I’ve now watched the first three episodes of the Orville, and I already know more about all the bridge crew than half of the Star Trek discovery cast. The sets and all the space scenes feel much more like Star Trek, which is pretty odd.

third episode in particularly was much more serious than I was expecting, and certainly didn’t end how I thought it would.

its pretty good so far.

Someone said this about Stranger Things the other day, but with TNG and The Orville I have a similar feeling of contentment just spending time with the characters. Discovery is more like that one person at work that annoys you when you see them coming over to your desk, even before they’ve said anything.

• Upvote 4

On 13/07/2019 at 00:32, DeciderVT said:

There's a part of me that never wants to watch The Orville because I can't stand Seth MacFarlane's brand of humour but I also have to remind myself that even TNG had the cast running around in Robin Hood outfits once upon a time.

Never appreciated rikers smug levels in this until now

• Upvote 1

Its certainly refreshing to have a sci fi show this day and age that isn't one big story arc that also has that classic Trek feel to it (with the adult humor of course). I found that the Orville hit its stride half way through the first season and the cast really seemed to gel.

I don't hate Discovery, I did enjoy elements of it, but the lack of character development outside of a tiny handful of the cast combined with some bizarre writing/creative decisions to make things "edgy" and "dark" really soured it for me. The Orville, on the other hand, manages to blend a nice balanced cast of characters that do get fleshed out, have some effective and sometimes poignant stories and feel much more Trek like than Discovery ever has (I know that McFarlane was going for that vibe, it's just that he hits it so well).

I suppose if Discovery had been the Trek show we were all hoping it would be, then the Orville would be viewed as an also ran Trek clone with added humor. instead it has effectively become the new "old" Trek for me.

• Upvote 1

Worth mentioning that most of the TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT cast and crew have been in, written, directed or produced episodes of The Orville too.

Is it gonna be good? It looks good. Surely not.

Also, Stewart really does sound old now, doesnt he? I guess that's the point, but having not seen Logan that's surprised me a bit.

So, err, who the fuck do we think mcguffin girl is? Something borgy?

Oh god that trailer... it hits the beats it should.

My head tells me the series cannot be any good.

But my heart aches for it to be half as good as Trek could be with Patrick Stewart at the helm.

Just one more moment that reaches the heights of the best TNG - just one - that is all I ask.

Make it so...

• Upvote 1

Daaaaamn!! :omg:

I'm guessing Data won't be in it much (possibly a dream sequence?) given the cost of CGI de-ageing. He looked a bit... bloated. And those can't be his body parts in the drawer, can they? He blew up. Maybe B4 or Lore.

Whatever, I'm intrigued. Engage!