rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard

14 hours ago, Meh said:

So much worse that it's probably the worst season of television I've ever seen in my entire life. It's that beyond awful.

I still can’t decide whether it was worse than Dexter’s final season.

It easily tops Dexter, Game of Thrones, and Sons of Anarchy's final gasps of agonising shit.

And we're only two seasons in!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Meh said:

It easily tops Dexter, Game of Thrones, and Sons of Anarchy's final gasps of agonising shit.

And we're only two seasons in!

That’s a good point - at least with the other shows the decline was from ‘amazing’ to ‘bad’ over several seasons.

I’ll probably still watch S3, because I’m a glutton for punishment.

On 06/07/2019 at 15:03, Jammy said:

That’s a good point - at least with the other shows the decline was from ‘amazing’ to ‘bad’ over several seasons.

I’ll probably still watch S3, because I’m a glutton for punishment.

Yup. Whereas this went from 'bad' to 'steaming horse shit' in two.

I'll still be watching S3 as well though. I love slagging it off, it's a guilty pleasure. It could still be turned into a good show but they'd have to ditch half the cast first so I don't hold out much hope.

I just think they need to fire the writers into the sun. A show that slapped itself straight into mid-23rd Century Trek needed people who didn't just know their shit, but also knew how to construct a good story over 13 episodes, since all shows these days are serialised as hell - which Star Trek never needs to be.

• Upvote 1

I'd resisted the Orville up until now but I'm staying with some friends who are big Star Trek fans and they twisted my arm into watching some and , 3 episodes in, it really is just doing what TNG did but in a contemporary style. Even if you strip away the parodic elements (the spot-on mimicry of the editing, music and matte paintings of the era) it's still just plain doing Star Trek better. I feel a bit daft for not having watched it sooner but still persisting with discovery!

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, sexton_hardcastle said:

It’s like a humorous offshoot of TNG. The Orville is an infinitely better Trek show than STD, I loved it all. 

Then again Postman Pat is a better Trek show than STD. 

Fuck that useless posty.

Now Octonauts! That's legit good Trek/Seaquest.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Death's Head said:

I'd resisted the Orville up until now but I'm staying with some friends who are big Star Trek fans and they twisted my arm into watching some and , 3 episodes in, it really is just doing what TNG did but in a contemporary style. Even if you strip away the parodic elements (the spot-on mimicry of the editing, music and matte paintings of the era) it's still just plain doing Star Trek better. I feel a bit daft for not having watched it sooner but still persisting with discovery!

Wait until you get to season 2 which improves on season 1 in every way. Some of the best TV sci-fi in a long while

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I watched the first episode of Orville and thought it was garbage. I take it it improves, then?

They cut back on the sub par college humor throughout season 1, and by season 2 it's basically gone

45 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I watched the first episode of Orville and thought it was garbage. I take it it improves, then?

Garbage is a bit strong, but yes it absolutely does. Season 1 just gets better and better, and I thought season 2 was brilliant.

Not to hijack the thread, but I thought the first Orville episode was pretty poor too, it was only when I saw a clip of 'something' from season 2 that I thought I'd give it a chance, but by that early episode with Bortus & Klyden I was hooked. I was unsure of MacFarlane at first, but he grows into the role and the whole show has a really likeable cast. Like TNG/DS9 it spreads its episodes out by rotating around the main bridge crew so everyone is developed as a character rather than the shite STD serves up with insufferable Burnham & Tilly adventures. By the time season 2 comes around they seem to either have comedy episodes or just normal scifi romps (with a little humour for the most part), the second half of season 2 in particular is fantastic.

Not only does it try to look like TNG but it has Jonathan Frakes directing some episodes along with Brannon Braga writing several scripts. It also has guest appearances from Troi, Tuvok, Kurn, Doctor & F.Murray Abraham - F MURRAY ABRAHAM

spacer.png

• Upvote 4

Sir Stewart in that picture has exactly the same pose my 9 year old has when he's trying to have a sly bum scratch or suffering from 'hungry arse'.

I love how all the promotion for this is making it look like Howard's Way but in the future with wine, which I would be completely on board with.

• Upvote 2

Wait a minute, The Orville is actually good?

i had written it of as a ST parody (I'm not a fan of parodies at all). Is that not the case then?

Oh, I fucking hate Burnham. She can fuck off and die.  What a detestable character 

1 minute ago, sandman said:

i had written it of as a ST parody (I'm not a fan of parodies at all). Is that not the case then?

Oh, I fucking hate Burnham. She can fuck off and die.  What a detestable character 

Yeah I'll vouch for the Orville, the first episodes are a bit of a parody but then it hits its stride and stays with a TNG style.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, sandman said:

It's pretty great stuff. Really good star trek just without it being officially star trek. Certainly a fuck load better than Discovery.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, sandman said:

It starts off with a fair bit of daft humour, but they tone it right down throughout S1. The stories are great - very intelligent, and the cast are also very likeable. A real love letter to TNG.

• Upvote 2

There's a part of me that never wants to watch The Orville because I can't stand Seth MacFarlane's brand of humour but I also have to remind myself that even TNG had the cast running around in Robin Hood outfits once upon a time.

• Upvote 1