IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!

layten

5 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Indeed. It was such bizarrely obvious signposting that it’s almost like they intended to do it at one point, then changed their minds but left the line in. 

They cast a guy who played a timecop from a future version of the Federation in Voyager and gave him the name Marty (McFly) (H.G.) Wells. Having him be that character would have been more obnoxious fanservice, so I should be relieved. But what they did was somehow even dumber.

On 23/04/2022 at 12:15, Garibaldi said:

Hang on, so the FBI agent wasn’t actually Temporal Agent Ducane from Voyager, despite them being played by the same actor? That’s DeKay levels of Star Trek trolling. 

Actors returning to play multiple different characters is a bit of a Star Trek "thing". 
See the likes of the actor who played Kirk's son, David turning up in TNG, or one of the Khan bottany bay crew in TNG. 
James Cromwell's played a guy in TNG as well as the hyper drive inventor in First Contact. 

David Warner has played both a Cardassian and a Klingon. 
etc. 

Ah! Of course, the most famous one is Mark Lenard playing both the Romulan Captain guy in TOS and Spock's dad, Sarek.

On 23/04/2022 at 16:24, Bacon Horsemeat said:

I can't believe I ever hated on Enterprise. That series was a masterpiece compared to Discovery and Picard.

Enterprise's only real problem is its shaky first two seasons, which is hardly unusual for a Star Trek show. Even then I'd say there are enough genuinely good episodes across the two seasons to make one decent season. They're just spread too thin.

Seasons 3 and 4 are solid. If the show had run for 7 years like its predecessors then I'm sure it would have been held in the same regard.

52 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Actors returning to play multiple different characters is a bit of a Star Trek "thing". 
See the likes of the actor who played Kirk's son, David turning up in TNG, or one of the Khan bottany bay crew in TNG. 
James Cromwell's played a guy in TNG as well as the hyper drive inventor in First Contact. 

etc. 

Ah! Of course, the most famous one is Mark Lenard playing both the Romulan Captain guy in TOS and Spock's dad, Sarek.

Oh yeah, I’m no stranger to seeing the same actors appear in Trek over the years. It’s just never felt quite as clumsy as, in a season that revolves around time travel, re-casting the guy who played a temporal agent in Voyager to play….an FBI agent. (Well, maybe apart from that time Marc Alamio played two identical cardassians in TNG and DS9. That was pretty funny.) 

I would say they just weren’t aware of the connection, but as Harsin points out the agent’s name makes it sound like that’s not the case. 

It ends up feeling like a weird attempt at ‘wink-wink’ for long-time Trek fans that just ends up trolling them instead. Then again, this season has been chock full of those.  

4 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Oh yeah, I’m no stranger to seeing the same actors appear in Trek over the years. It’s just never felt quite as clumsy as, in a season that revolves around time travel, re-casting the guy who played a temporal agent in Voyager to play….an FBI agent. (Well, maybe apart from that time Marc Alamio played two identical cardassians in TNG and DS9. That was pretty funny.) 

I would say they just weren’t aware of the connection, but as Harsin points out the agent’s name makes it sound like that’s not the case. 

It ends up feeling like a weird attempt at ‘wink-wink’ for long-time Trek fans that just ends up trolling them instead. Then again, this season has been chock full of those.  

Hey now, one of those Cardassians had a moustache. 

On 24/04/2022 at 11:38, davidcotton said:

Anyone else think the “stuck in the past “ hint was the agent about to reveal himself from the far future?

I was hoping it would be the same character, yes. But as has already been mentioned, plenty of actors have played several roles in different series of Star Trek over the years. 

48 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

And the theme tune.

The theme tune to Enterprise is an atrocity but in this age of streaming no-one needs to subject themselves to it any longer. I feel genuinely sorry for those that watched this on broadcast TV first time round though and had to sit through it each and every time.

7 minutes ago, readonly said:

And the final episode.

I think it's fascinating though, it's one of the weirdest episodes of any TV show ever. It's almost up there with that whole series of Dallas being a dream. 

1 hour ago, b00dles said:

I think it's fascinating though, it's one of the weirdest episodes of any TV show ever. It's almost up there with that whole series of Dallas being a dream. 

It does make you wonder…. 

Spoiler

If Riker fast-forwarded through any of the Temporal Cold War bollocks when he was watching the entire series of Enterprise on the holodeck. 

38 minutes ago, Harsin said:

DIrty bastard sat in the corner of the decontanimation chamber recreations so often that it started glitching out like an old VHS tape.

that wasn't decontamination gel...

22 hours ago, Harsin said:

They cast a guy who played a timecop from a future version of the Federation in Voyager and gave him the name Marty (McFly) (H.G.) Wells.

Not only that, the time ship from that episode of Voyager was a Wells Class

On 25/04/2022 at 09:59, Kevvy Metal said:

etc. 

Hyper drive?!

On 21/04/2022 at 10:05, Barnard said:

This has to be one if the worst ADR inserts I've ever heard. 

There were three glaringingly awful ADR inserts in that episode alone. Two from Picard and one from Q.

Ha, not even 10 minutes in and

Spoiler

I've put a fractal lock on it. I'm not an idiot, so I didn't memorise the key, so you can't get it from my memory. But this computer system I'm literally showing you just now is where I put it.

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!