IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!

layten

20 hours ago, Exidor said:

I'd forgotten about this. It's 100% going to be...

Reveal hidden contents

bloody Jurati

Even though that would make no logical sense at all.

Spoiler

Wasn't the theory going to be it was his mother? With the whispered "Look up"?

I can't believe  (actually I can believe it, I'm just astounded) we're on episode 8 and no one has any idea what's going on or why :D

21 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I just watched the Season 3 teaser trailer. 

Why are they putting that out before S2 is over?

It screams "stuck with us please and you'll get this next year"

That’s exactly what it is. You generally do not release a teaser before the current season is done! 

It’s kind of remarkable, really. Like the team behind Picard thinks the problem hasn’t been incoherent plotting or dreadful characterisation, but not enough nostalgia! 

10 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I just watched the Season 3 teaser trailer. 

Why are they putting that out before S2 is over?

It screams "stick with us please and you'll get this next year"

The Legends are Coming!

8's showing up for me. Not that I want to watch it. :ph34r:

I only got around to watching 7 yesterday. Another Voyage Home reference (we get it, thanks), and some fleeting nice scenes between Rios and the doctor. The rest was a whole load of waffle.

The Borg plotline is completely daft.

EDIT: On that subject, the "make it up as they go along" Borg stuff is a perfect example of how little respect these shows have to Star Trek's history and canon. That may sound like a nerdy complaint, but it's a nerdy show and stuff like this builds up vital internal consistency. This all started with the addition of the Borg Queen back in First Contact of course, but now we have Seven matter of factly stating that Borg Queens can see through time, Borg Queens straight up possessing people, and finally hunting for endorphin rushes to allow them to assimilate others somehow.

It's nonsense!

49 minutes ago, Mogster said:

8's showing up for me. Not that I want to watch it. :ph34r:

I only got around to watching 7 yesterday. Another Voyage Home reference (we get it, thanks), and some fleeting nice scenes between Rios and the doctor. The rest was a whole load of waffle.

The Borg plotline is completely daft.

EDIT: On that subject, the "make it up as they go along" Borg stuff is a perfect example of how little respect these shows have to Star Trek's history and canon. That may sound like a nerdy complaint, but it's a nerdy show and stuff like this that builds up vital internal consistency. This all started with the addition of the Borg Queen back in First Contact of course, but now we have Seven matter of factly stating that Borg Queens can see through time, Borg Queens straight up possessing people, and finally hunting for endorphin rushes to allow them to assimilate others somehow.

It's nonsense!

Trek has always made stuff up as it went along same with most other franchises as they expand their canon, so I don't think you can really level that one specifically at Picard.

Using that canon it is also fairly east to explain away much of the stuff you are complaining about. 

Take the example you give about the Borg Queen being able to see through time.  Well we know from canon that Guinan and the El Aurian race have that ability, they have past history with the Borg who nearly wiped out their race hence the Borg assimilated it into their collective. 

As a species which continually evolves by incorporating other cultures into their own, I think they actually are missing a trick with keeping the Borg as familiar as they are.  I think it would be great if they made them completely different every time they show up.

Got to agree though that the endorphin rush by smashing windows was utter bollocks.

15 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Trek has always made stuff up as it went along same with most other franchises as they expand their canon, so I don't think you can really level that one specifically at Picard.

Using that canon it is also fairly east to explain away much of the stuff you are complaining about. 

Take the example you give about the Borg Queen being able to see through time.  Well we know from canon that Guinan and the El Aurian race have that ability, they have past history with the Borg who nearly wiped out their race hence the Borg assimilated it into their collective. 

As a species which continually evolves by incorporating other cultures into their own I think they actually are missing a trick with keeping the Borg as familiar as they are.  I think it would be great if they made them completely different every time they show up.

Got to agree though that the endorphin rush by smashing windows was utter bollocks.

Of course its made stuff up new stuff before, it's fiction, but usually it's where there was a gap to be filled or an interesting sci-fi idea to explore. New ideas were introduced in a way that usually meshed nicely with the existing canon.

Your point about about the Borg assimilating the El Aurian sensitivity to time was actually really good, but I can guarantee the writers didn't think of that. When Guinan sensed stuff in TNG it was always shown as a vague thing, an ability to sense that something was wrong, but she couldn't have told you that "drat, a change was made on Tuesday, October 5th 2024 and you need to go and chat with Jim Bob at this precise location to sort it out". That's lazy.

10 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Even functionally it doesn't work: surely it would make more sense for her to gain endorphins by running or dancing.

When they shoehorned in Pat Stew's wife's band for that bit I thought, oh here we go, she'll do some mad dancing and partying for the endorphin rush... But no, she just smashes the bar window. What? They can't even get bad writing right.

Also, you might get a rush from doing something "bad" like breaking a window, but she was possessed at the time, so she wouldn't have been aware of doing something "bad" either in order to get the rush.

Theres so much fucking nonsense in todays episode...where to start?

Spoiler

rios being told what to do by Raffi who is a lesser rank, shes downright rude

BORG QUEEN NEEDS THE LITHIUM OUT OF BATTERIES. proceeds to eat car batteries which are Lead-Acid so she's there munching on Lead and hydrochloric acid like its beef jerky.

the "fbi" meeting with the random man, guinan and picard was an absolute fucking waste of time, there was some magic or something going on with guinan, then some random words make everything work out or something?

Q was back i suppose? confirming what we already knew and oh i dunno i've had enough

you know what, i cant even remember what else happend it was that fucking dull and shit. how Thor found that entertaining is incomprehensible

44 minutes ago, Nicky said:
  Hide contents

BORG QUEEN NEEDS THE LITHIUM OUT OF BATTERIES. proceeds to eat car batteries which are Lead-Acid so she's there munching on Lead and hydrochloric acid like its beef jerky.

Amazing :lol:

Isn’t this season set in our not too distant future? I couldn’t tell.

Catching up from last week, why did they shoot Baltar’s opening monologue like it’s a big reveal? Did Marina Sirtis fall through and they forgot to update the storyboards? Did they try to get Bashir and though Baltar was close enough? This isn’t even his franchise.

While the series overall remains extravagantly terrible, that was a big step up from last week. It was actually quite fun. Rios is still the best thing about it, but I think the lass playing Guinan is doing a good job too and it's always fun to watch DeLancey and Spiner chewing the scenery. And at least this show knows when to slow down a bit. There were some actual scenes in there with people having actual dialogue and acting like actual humans, which has never been seen on Discovery. Just a shame

Spoiler

Space Legolas

had to appear to stink the whole thing up.

No "improvements" can make up for the spectacularly offensive take on metal illness in the last episode for me. I feel like Amazon should pay its viewers damages or something.

32 minutes ago, Benny said:

No "improvements" can make up for the spectacularly offensive take on metal illness in the last episode for me. I feel like Amazon should pay its viewers damages or something.

Absolutely, I had to steel myself for this episode.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

There were some actual scenes in there with people having actual dialogue and acting like actual humans, which has never been seen on Discovery.

Please tell me you're not talking about the Raffi/Seven relationship chat.

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!