IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!

layten

2 hours ago, BossSaru said:

I'm guessing Patrick Stewart day down with the writers one morning and relief of a load of things he wanted to do in this series and then walked out leaving them to string then together into a coherent narrative as best as they could.

I think that’s 100% accurate. There was a recent radio interview where they asked Patrick Stewart if he’d watched many TNG episodes to reacquaint himself with the character of Picard. He said that it hadn’t been necessary as he’d internalised the character a long time ago. They then played him an excerpt of his speech from Measure of a Man, in what I’m pretty convinced was a pointed attempt to say ‘compare this to the shit you’re performing now.’ 

In fact I’m starting to think the infamous ‘sheer, fucking hubris’ line from S1 was a less than subtle dig from the writers to Stewart himself. 

My big mistake was assuming Patrick Stewart was anything like Jean-Luc Picard.

Turns out he used to be good at acting, and was just pretending to be this awesome captain dude.

Now Jean-Luc Picard is showing what Patrick Stewart is like (should cut him some slack though, he’s very old).

Stewart himself seems alright, just an old bloke having some late life fun. Just needs to be kept well away from the scriptwriting, like most actors.

The sheer disaster and offensive framing of the mental health issues has really rubbed me up the wrong way, enough to not even watch it for the laughs any more. It really takes a lot to do that so that's impressive I guess, and that must be all credit to the writing team.

Even calling the episode "Monsters" is offensive when you realise why.

Hateful, hateful garbage.

3 hours ago, Delargey said:

The writers seemed perfectly capable of writing terrible nonsense before Stewart got involved so I'm not sure how much of this mess can be laid at his door.

He’s openly said that he wanted to channel issues like Brexit, Trump, etc in the show so I think a significant chunk of Starfleet suddenly being grim and isolationist can be laid at his door. Not to mention he’s perfectly okay with retconning Picard’s past to reflect his own experiences. He only came on board because they offered him a direct influence on the series, and none of that sway has been used in a manner that benefits the character. 

Would it have been shit without Stewart shoehorning in his own life and nodding through scripts with a browbeaten, shuffling Picard? Oh, undoubtedly. The writers are perfectly capable of that. But I’m not sure it would have been this shit. 

I think it would be equally shit without his input, just a different type of shit. This probably reflects my opinion of the first series though.

It's just a different topping on the same shit sandwich.

My random Star Trek episode rewatch just handed up Sub Rosa. The 45 minutes of that has positively flown by compared to this week's Picard. Maybe it's a case of better the devil you know.

Haven’t seen latest episode yet, but this really feels like the entire season could have boiled down to a single (or at most two-parter) episode of TNG and it would have been pretty decent. It certainly would have had more character depth and developement.   

Part 1 Picard refuses to open up emotionally, q turns up, sends him to alt right 24th century. Picard meets his friends and jumps back in time for a cliff hanger. Part 2, a plot - Picard attempts to prevent a change in time as a heavy handed metaphor for his own worries.  B plot- captain cigar lambasts the American health service/immigration policy. Finally picard and ancestor stand up to q and say they are themeselves worts and all and their journeys have got them here. Leave them alone. Q ho-ho’s as that was his aim. Winks them all back to the present. End sting is the ship flying down and Picard and the elf sitting for a chat and a tea. He’s finally opening up. 

18 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Haven’t seen latest episode yet, but this really feels like the entire season could have boiled down to a single (or at most two-parter) episode of TNG and it would have been pretty decent. It certainly would have had more character depth and developement.   

It does feel like the writers were inspired by the two parters Past Tense and Future's End from DS9 and Voyager, added Picard's requirements and expanded it into a season. The results are of course, a fucking mess.

8 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Part 1 Picard refuses to open up emotionally, q turns up, sends him to alt right 24th century. Picard meets his friends and jumps back in time for a cliff hanger. Part 2, a plot - Picard attempts to prevent a change in time as a heavy handed metaphor for his own worries.  B plot- captain cigar lambasts the American health service/immigration policy. Finally picard and ancestor stand up to q and say they are themeselves worts and all and their journeys have got them here. Leave them alone. Q ho-ho’s as that was his aim. Winks them all back to the present. End sting is the ship flying down and Picard and the elf sitting for a chat and a tea. He’s finally opening up. 

You could argue he was opening up in the final scene of TNG where he joins the crew for a game of poker and says “I should have done this a long time ago “. 

21 hours ago, Darwock said:

He knew what everyone would think and yet, he still put on the uniform.

When I was watching I googled Dr. Bashir/Alexander Siddig (obviously) and the Star Trek wiki page said he had an appearance in S02E07 of Picard. That note has gone now, wish I’d screenshotted it.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Alexander_Siddig?action=history

8 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Haven’t seen latest episode yet, but this really feels like the entire season could have boiled down to a single (or at most two-parter) episode of TNG

There's a certain magic to TNG's pacing - every episode seems very slow by modern standards, there's a lot of standing around and pontificating, long periods of silence and not much happening. Yet somehow each episode is a perfectly self-contained story where they encounter mad shit, set it up, resolve it and move on, all within 45 minutes. Even when you get a Sub Rosa, you're on to the next adventure before you know it.

There should be a word for the sinking feeling you get after the first episode of each season of Discovery or Picard where you realise how stupid the plot is going to be and know you're going to have to deal with the same shit for the next ten hours.

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

There's a certain magic to TNG's pacing - every episode seems very slow by modern standards, there's a lot of standing around and pontificating, long periods of silence and not much happening. Yet somehow each episode is a perfectly self-contained story where they encounter mad shit, set it up, resolve it and move on, all within 45 minutes. Even when you get a Sub Rosa, you're on to the next adventure before you know it.

There should be a word for the sinking feeling you get after the first episode of each season of Discovery or Picard where you realise how stupid the plot is going to be and know you're going to have to deal with the same shit for the next ten hours.

Resignation?

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

There should be a word for the sinking feeling you get after the first episode of each season of Discovery or Picard where you realise how stupid the plot is going to be and know you're going to have to deal with the same shit for the next ten hours

The Kurzman Sag

I was thinking - and getting annoyed - about how convoluted the set up for this series was:

Spoiler

A wormhole or something appears in space

Picard and co summoned to it

A Borg queen that doesn't look like a Borg queen but someone calls a Borg Queen appears and is obviously someone or something we know in disguise

Mysterious whispering to picard, ship explodes

Whisked somewhere else at moment of death?

We're in a bad timeline? How are we in a bad timeline? Who went back in time?

Q did it? Q whisked us away - did Q also change the timeline? Did he bring the Borg as well? 

So the Borg killed us and sent us to a different timeline but also Q did it

Q wants to help us fix it but for some reason, no?

Borg Queen = time travel, conveniently enough

So time travel, universe-skipping via death (?) and two very nasty adversaries. It's multiple huge plot devices all happening at once and I hate it. I know it's frustrating to think what could have been, but I'd have loved some kind of TNG/first contact throwback storyline where the Borg turn up, doing some time-naughtiness, and Q decides to just get involved for some hijinks and fuck with jean-luc a bit.

It has also made me feel a bit sad for how they're treating Patrick Stewart and Picard in it. He so often seems lost and on the back foot and a bit awkward. Just put him in situations where he, you know, excels using his brains and leadership and compassion and that.

Rios is good though!

And who did the Legolas actor piss off to get this treatment

46 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Anyone up for another spin off? Star Trek:Rios.  He chooses to stay behind and have a family dynamic with Theresa and her kid. 

only if its like some kind of "who's the boss" sitcom with comedy shenanigans of hiding bits of 24th century technology from nosey neighbours

4 hours ago, jonny_rat said:

I was thinking - and getting annoyed - about how convoluted the set up for this series was:

Spoiler

A Borg queen that doesn't look like a Borg queen but someone calls a Borg Queen appears and is obviously someone or something we know in disguise

I'd forgotten about this. It's 100% going to be...

Spoiler

bloody Jurati

Even though that would make no logical sense at all.

Take with a pinch of salt, but I saw a comment on one of the RLM videos of the show that said that when Guinan was saying how shit everything was that - "in the scenes of homelessness in Los Angeles: actual homeless encampments were cleared out to make room for them to bring in set-dressers and build a fake one."

It really wouldn't fucking surprise me.

42 minutes ago, Exidor said:

I'd forgotten about this. It's 100% going to be...

Hide contents

bloody Jurati

Even though that would make no logical sense at all.

100%

They should make it

Spoiler

Burnham

for the laugh.

This is proper shit isn't it. I'm on episode 6, wtf was that singing moment all about 😬

Also, I'm confused as fuck about 

Spoiler

Noonian Soong and his daughter. Why are they now in the 21st century? Have I forgotten something from season 1 regarding them to set this up?

2 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

This is proper shit isn't it. I'm on episode 6, wtf was that singing moment all about 😬

Hide contents

Noonian Soong and his daughter. Why are they now in the 21st century? Have I forgotten something from season 1 regarding them to set this up?

Spoiler

Ancestors. Apparantly these writers think you all look like identical twins if you are in the same family line.

Just now, Lorfarius said:

Hide contents

Ancestors. Apparantly these writers think you all look like identical twins if you are in the same family.

Sorry its not 

Spoiler

Noonian is it, it's Adam.

Kore in season 1 is a clone though right? So are we now saying Noonian is a clone? Data was was his way of living on without the need to one himself again?

Who the fuck knows.

8 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Hide contents

The problem isn't that, it's the tech they have in 2024. Holo-shields? WTF? That's not even in the legacy stuff, right?

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!