IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!

layten

I enjoyed Picard S1, but the first thing I noticed was that the character of Picard was absolutely nothing like his character in TNG. 

He's far more formal, stoic and brash in TNG. It takes a lot for him to open up. Here he's a gentle old man and it feels basically just Patrick Stewart. 

I think Season 2 is completely - top to bottom - stupid dumb-shit... but I can't help finding it totally entertaining. 

On 13/04/2022 at 14:12, Exidor said:

This season is actually going to end with everyone's clothes falling off isn't it?

Picard and Laris to have a wedding on Betazed. Ricky Gervais to officiate.

Just caught up on last week's episode, it really does feel like filler again for another week! Nothing really happens and it feels like they effectively run out of money to do anything actiony or exciting. Perhaps all the budget was spent on the first episode?

Where is the threat in all this, the tension? (and no, not buying depressed Picard lady who has to fly her shuttle mission to keep a dark timeline from happening, or Alison Pill's boobs, or what ever the hell Brent Spiner is meant to be doing In this). 

6 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Surprised this wasn't mentioned, her jiggling in front of the camera at a certain angle, they couldn't make it more obvious

I think it was mentioned briefly, but it wasn't clear if it was the fake Borg Queen who had caused her to dress that way (i'm assuming it was).

By the way, sneak preview for this weeks episode. Looks better already

Oh god, they actually tried to explain why Q once appeared to fear Guinan. It’s like the writers are drowning; any piece of lore they grab onto to try and stay afloat just ends up dragged down to the icy depths. 

Spoiler

Do the El-Aurians were somehow engaged in a war with the Q. A race which, while very long lived, with an innate understanding of temporal changes, was almost wiped out by the Borg is able to fight beings with literal god-like powers. 

The arrogance of seeing a purposely open-ended thread in TNG and thinking ‘hey, we can explain that!’ without realising there’s a reason it was never explained is quite something. 

On 13/04/2022 at 15:43, Garibaldi said:

Of course it seems that Kurtzman et al just acquiesced to all his demands, probably thinking that it was better than having no show at all, in which they were entirely incorrect. I wish I could say his wife appearing in the show to energise her career was a shock but it just feels like the latest blinkered and bad decision. 

This is exactly the guy described in Michael Piller's book. He had his own ideas about Picard and they happen not to be the ones people enjoy about the character.

Possibly the stupidest episode yet. A convoluted mess of patronising pseudo-psychology coupled with metaphysical nonsense.

Spoiler

How the hell do we not know why Q has been directly changing history yet? It's episode SEVEN. And is John de Lancie really expensive or something? He's had about ten minutes of screen time, fifteen if we're being generous.

Also a terrible waste of

Spoiler

James Callis. Elated to see him in Trek but depressed that it's this rubbish he's appeared in.

I’m not gonna do ‘benny’ here, but just had to pause it and laugh at...

Spoiler

Her mind meld computer thingy literally being a big metal Vulcan ear piece 

😆

Spoiler

You're an FBI agent. You're sent to apprehend a man who can teleport. So how do you approach him?

You track him down to a bar, order a drink and bore him with vague hints about science fiction for five minutes, before showing him video evidence of him teleporting, therefore completely blowing his cover.

Then your guys burst into the room and you arrest him. Foolproof. Not like he'd instantly get out of that situation if he cottoned on.

And it’s another episode done, somebody’s going to do a “fan” edit of this when it’s over and it won’t be as long as a normal tng episode. Just so bad. 

Spoiler

So jurati/queens best idea to get some endorphins is to smash a window!... oh what a coincidence there’s Stewart’s missis singing. 

Rios is totally going fuck the timeline. 

Oh she is a romulan now. And her special ear cloaking device needs eight hours to recharge for a reason that will either become clear next episode or be completely irrelevant. 

And don’t you worry about astronaut lady... apparently that’s storyline is done already.

This is absolutely ridiculous, but I'm still entertained by it.

Also, and I suspected this from the first episode, but I feel Patrick is using this show to work through some of the issues he had with has parents, specifically a violent and abusive father. I think this what's making me less inclined to hate the absurdity in the show. I dunno.

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!