IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!

layten

Just now, Garwoofoo said:

I quite enjoyed that while also accepting it was complete bullshit from start to end. 

No argument from me :)

My fave moment was

Spoiler

Picard getting bitch slapped by Q.

2 hours ago, Hamus said:

Yeah it seems that Episode 2 need not really have existed.

One thing about "alternative universes", and I'll continue here because it's been in all the previews, is - how come we always end up with the evil ones.

Maybe I've not seen all of star trek, but what about the simpleton or super nice bum sucker universe or timeline?

The super nice universe where Klingons give out hugs and are all hairdresses. I mean, you'd have thought with their flowing manes there must be a universe where Worf swoons about with a mostly open shirt as Gowron paws at his chest in an almost sitcom style Baber shop-in-space-station. 

See what the writers really want to do is give us another dark universe where by Geordie is king and eats the fucking eyes out of people's faces because eyes! Lol.

I say give us a super fun timeline or universe - the best near example of this was Reg's holosuite programme with Stumpy Riker.

More of that please.

tl;dr you could skip this episode apart from they escaped with someone else in tow, and you wouldn't have missed much.

Remember when Sliders took the piss with a couple of lines of dialogue?  “So how come we only get 1 hour on paradise earth, but a couple of weeks on the Earth that looks like hell?” (Paraphrasing). 

The trick is to watch these episodes after having digested your substance of preference. Modern Trek seasons then easily score over a 50% success rate. I'm going to @ that at Benny purely on the basis of the time of day he posted ;)

4 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I quite enjoyed that while also accepting it was complete bullshit from start to end. 

Totally this.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching it even though I know it is complete nonsense.

Doing something right though, as I am actually looking forward to the next episode.  That never happened in the first season.

de Lancie is always a joy to watch but the rest of it was just tiresome. I have no investment in any of the new characters at all. I'm so sick of alternate universe/timeline Federation stuff being a comic book fascist fantasy too. You'd think that the army of executive producers would've gotten this juvenile crap out of their systems with the mirror universe bollocks in Discovery.

Actually, I think I've hit upon why I dislike this whole endeavour so much. In TNG I always felt a deep respect for Picard, which is entirely absent when watching this series. It feels like the core of the character is just gone.

I actually liked this episode although not because it worked as TV but almost because it felt like a videogame. It felt very much like a Telltale game where the game puzzle seemed to be "you are dumped in an unfamiliar situation. Objectives, work out what's happening, while fitting in and finding your companions without making anyone else sus.

Every time some of them screwed up I instinctively looked to the top of the screen half expecting "xxx will remember that."

Also without spoiling too much, was anyone else reminded of The Running Man at the end?

Also

Spoiler

also the execution rescue reminded me of a similar setup in a certain Nazi themed videogame involving mirror universes.

8 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

An entire new page of discussion! Well, I’ll be most interested to….oh, wait, never mind. Everything was Benny. 

Just think of each of my posts as being a separate take by a different person. Because shattering it into several pieces is what this show did to my mind.

Whilst being very much not Star Trek I didn’t completely hate it. 

Bets on which character from last season saves them at the start of episode 3...

Spoiler

Robot chick... strangely absent.

That evil bloke, who could be good in this universe?

Irish love interest?

did everyone on those destroyed ships wake up in this universe, or did Q just pick those we saw in the last series? You 4 on this ship... and oh what the hell, you 2 from over there.

Spoiler

Laris is dead in that timeline.

Given that the series is exploring Picard's regrets about not having relationships, I'm surprised that there haven't been even passing references to Crusher or Vash. Especially with Q back in the mix.

1 hour ago, Fuddle said:

Whilst being very much not Star Trek I didn’t completely hate it. 

Bets on which character from last season saves them at the start of episode 3...

Hide contents

Robot chick... strangely absent.

That evil bloke, who could be good in this universe?

Irish love interest?

did everyone on those destroyed ships wake up in this universe, or did Q just pick those we saw in the last series? You 4 on this ship... and oh what the hell, you 2 from over there.

I thought the same- surely the entire fleet should have been transferred? Because with Raffi and Elnor it was more than just the Stargazer. So, it should have been that entire taskforce fleet- that's thousands of crew.

10 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

de Lancie is always a joy to watch but the rest of it was just tiresome. I have no investment in any of the new characters at all. I'm so sick of alternate universe/timeline Federation stuff being a comic book fascist fantasy too. You'd think that the army of executive producers would've gotten this juvenile crap out of their systems with the mirror universe bollocks in Discovery.

Actually, I think I've hit upon why I dislike this whole endeavour so much. In TNG I always felt a deep respect for Picard, which is entirely absent when watching this series. It feels like the core of the character is just gone.

I get the feeling Stewart himself has played a crucial part in that. And I'm starting to believe real Patrick Stewart is very similar to Extras Patrick Stewart.

2 hours ago, drmick said:

I get the feeling Stewart himself has played a crucial part in that. And I'm starting to believe real Patrick Stewart is very similar to Extras Patrick Stewart.

His input into scripts in the past would appear to back that up. Somehow, he managed to be excellent at playing Picard while simultaneously not understanding the character. 

53 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

His input into scripts in the past would appear to back that up. Somehow, he managed to be excellent at playing Picard while simultaneously not understanding the character. 

Absolutely, as he said to Ronald D. Moore when he met him as a writer on TNG "Remember, the captain doesn't do enough fighting or fucking on this show".

He never got it.

Reading that letter oddly enough reminds me of that episode opener that begins with Picard and Riker having a little shooting practice/competition. Wonder if that was written in in response :lol:

I quite enjoyed that, which is surprising as it seemed to relish bringing back some of the weird problems from season 1.

Spoiler

Elnor's back to gleefully killing and maiming people again, the cool new Stargazer has been swapped for Rios' ship and so on.

That stuff was still an issue, but I thought the story itself was good fun regardless. Also, 

Spoiler

While it was a small thing, I liked Seven's little Borgy self-diagnostic. After the complete personality transplant she had last season, that was a nice touch.

Dear me this is rubbish. It's Dr who dressed up as star trek. The comedy relief woman is just unbearable. Shouldn't she be in prison, didn't she murder someone in the first series? Why is there so much unnecessary swearing? Why is seven not seven? 

I haven't been following the trailers or anything, but

Spoiler

they said Q did something in 2024 to fuck everything up. Aren't the next elections in 2024? Is it going to be that he makes Trump win or something that leads to humanity being massive space Nazis?

6 hours ago, squirtle said:

I haven't been following the trailers or anything, but

Hide contents

they said Q did something in 2024 to fuck everything up. Aren't the next elections in 2024? Is it going to be that he makes Trump win or something that leads to humanity being massive space Nazis?

Are you implying that Q is Q-Anon?

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Third time's the charm!