IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead

layten

I think we need another update to the thread title. Looking back, I can't believe how positive we all were after episode 1, and even the current title doesn't truly reflect the horror that has unfolded.

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Season 2: Could be worse, could be Discovery
1 hour ago, Gambit said:

Nah. I loved SG1 right up until the end (well, apart from that last movie). Stargate Universe though.....oof. But still better than Picard.

Series two of universe started to get really good and then the fuckers cancelled it.

It did get better. But it had two similarities with Picard. One was it just felt very dour. And second, those fucking stones. Instead of being alone in space BSG style they were constantly using the space magic to visit back home so we could get some OG guest stars.

Awful. No wonder Picard got captured given that he constantly stopped during an assault to chat about his childhood. And if the hologram space elf needs to avoid capture, why not simply dematerialise? It's not as if the Borg Queen can get into the computer.

In fairness I don't think Daniel Day Lewis could convincingly sell that he thought Picard was brilliant amazing prestige television. I imagine he spends the entire time thinking keep up the rictus grin and they may eventually give me a part*

* They won’t 

Something that just struck me. The entire justification for why Jurati didn’t just let the Borg Queen die and took the risk of letingt her partially assimilate her was because she said they needed her to do the calculations to get them back to the future. Except she fucks off with the ship in this episode thus rendering that entire element of the plot useless. Obviously tehy'll pull some bullshit reason why they get home, but you'd think it would be of concern to the characters.

30 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Something that just struck me. The entire justification for why Jurati didn’t just let the Borg Queen die and took the risk of letingt her partially assimilate her was because she said they needed her to do the calculations to get them back to the future. Except she fucks off with the ship in this episode thus rendering that entire element of the plot useless. Obviously tehy'll pull some bullshit reason why they get home, but you'd think it would be of concern to the characters.

Q will get his powers back and deus ex machina the ending.

They are going to end up back on the Stargazer in the prime timeline I assume, where the not so shock ending will be Jurati is the masked Borg Queen from the first episode.

I guess this is a ‘Yesterday’s Enterprise’/‘All Good Things’ rift between alternate timelines, rather than a simple temporal rift (which I probably missed and was explained) since Q hadn’t done anything at the point they were on the Stargazer encountering The Masked Assimilator, and they hadn’t taken Agnes back in time for her to start her happy clappy Borg collective yet either. If it is that, has the whole season been a lesson Picard needs to learn about what to do in that initial encounter ? And if so, couldn’t we have saved 8 episodes if Q had just met with Picard and said “I’m going to let you try that again, but this time don’t blow everything up FFS.”

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead