IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead

layten

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

. Just a shame

Hide contents

Space Legolas

had to appear to stink the whole thing up.

Spoiler

haha I actually let out "oh no" when he had his totally artificial bants with Raffi

Also the

Spoiler

new Borg

reminds me of the Matrix reboot aka cheap Agents

I'm watching this week's episode, and the recap reminded me of the daftest thing from the last episode full of daft things.

GUINAN CAN SUMMON A Q BY DRINKING SOMETHING BOTTLED THE LAST TIME SHE MET ONE. OR SOMETHING. WHAT? WHAT?

I mean, come on.

The one thing I did like this week was 

Spoiler

Further evidence that the Vulcans were fucking around on Earth for quite some time prior to first contact with humans. Reminded me of the Enterprise episode Carbon Creek.

Otherwise I found this weeks episode better than the last two, still not great though.

There was some good stuff this week, but the nonsense was still present and correct.

Spoiler

The "interrogation" appeared to have no purpose whatsoever. It was pure filler. 

Guinan gets yet another superpower.

Jurati is chewing her way through Borg catchphrases used as actual catchphrases.

Adam Soong apparently has access to some kind of army, because he phoned up some general or something. Okay...

The whole Q "dying" thing is interesting, but could have been the focus of a much tighter story. It's also no a million miles away from the time he was made human.

The stuff with Rios, the doctor and the kid was lovely though.

Agree that this was better than last week's train wreck, but still amazingly bad writing.  The interrogator guy ... 

Spoiler

Here's someone who had an encounter with aliens as a child. He's spent his whole life trying to convince people that aliens exist. As an adult he joins the FBI and continues to get ridiculed for his belief in aliens. Decades of this. Then he finally gets proof and actually has two 'aliens' under detainment that can show his colleagues, his family, everyone he's ever known that he was right. 

He goes to his bosses to try to convince them of this proof and (in unseen scenes*) they fire him instantly and then he just gives up and let's them walk off.  That was literally the way they wrote it. He's lost his job, his career, who knows how many friendships and relationships.  The proof he needs is right here in this room right now, but ... he just  gives up his entire lifetime of work and walks out saying 'kind of a waste of a life'.  The whole flip from someone who has dedicated his life to this endeavour, to someone who just gives up and walks off occurs in the space of an hour or so at best. 

Amazing

I also really start to think they have budget issues with casting. Of course there's the re-use of every single character from the previous series into new roles of their ancestors. But there's also the weird fact we didn't get to see anyone that worked with FBI interrogator guy. It's just one guy, one room. No interaction with anyone else. There could have been some interesting story there about how he's trying to convince his bosses that he's finally done it, here's the proof he's spent his whole life looking for.

But nope. Just an absolutely pointless side plot that goes nowhere

29 minutes ago, Wizcat said:

Agree that this was better than last week's train wreck, but still amazingly bad writing.  The interrogator guy ... 

Hide contents

Here's someone who had an encounter with aliens as a child. He's spent his whole life trying to convince people that aliens exist. As an adult he joins the FBI and continues to get ridiculed for his belief in aliens. Decades of this. Then he finally gets proof and actually has two 'aliens' under detainment that can show his colleagues, his family, everyone he's ever known that he was right. 

He goes to his bosses to try to convince them of this proof and (in unseen scenes*) they fire him instantly and then he just gives up and let's them walk off.  That was literally the way they wrote it. He's lost his job, his career, who knows how many friendships and relationships.  The proof he needs is right here in this room right now, but ... he just  gives up his entire lifetime of work and walks out saying 'kind of a waste of a life'.  The whole flip from someone who has dedicated his life to this endeavour, to someone who just gives up and walks off occurs in the space of an hour or so at best. 

Amazing

I also really start to think they have budget issues with casting. Of course there's the re-use of every single character from the previous series into new roles of their ancestors. But there's also the weird fact we didn't get to see anyone that worked with FBI interrogator guy. It's just one guy, one room. No interaction with anyone else. There could have been some interesting story there about how he's trying to convince his bosses that he's finally done it, here's the proof he's spent his whole life looking for.

But nope. Just an absolutely pointless side plot that goes nowhere

That's now my understanding of how that scene played out. He was fired because he changed his mind.

Hang on, so the FBI agent wasn’t actually Temporal Agent Ducane from Voyager, despite them being played by the same actor? That’s DeKay levels of Star Trek trolling. 

As to the latest clip, you can actually envisage it taking form in the writers’ room. 

Writer A: ‘So the Borg assimilate species to try and achieve perfection, but as we all know, perfection is impossible.’ *Takes a moment to bask in their own intelligence* ‘So what are they really looking for?’ 

Writer B: ‘Maybe they’re lonely?’ 

Writer A: ‘Oooh, I like that! Like when you keep going on bad dates, they keep doing bad assimilations. But they still can’t connect!’ 

Writer C : ‘So the queen destroys entire species because she’s emotionally unavailable?’ 

Writer A: ‘Sure. I don’t know. Those fucking nerds will nitpick whatever we write anyway. Just throw a few swears in there to really garnish the shit sundae.’ 

Patrick Stewart: ‘Borg…..Borg…Oh! I was Locutus of Borg!’ 

All writers: ‘Yes Patrick, we know.’ 

Whereas this week it was:

Writer A: What does the spreadsheet say?

Writer B: "Give characters depth by expanding on their emotional state."

Writer A: Cool, what does it suggest?

Writer B: It says "Imply that their actions and emotional distance are driven by loneliness and childhood trauma."

Writer A (writing): "... and emotional trauma." Got it. Who hasn't had a go yet this week? The elf can do that bit. No wait, he's not in it anymore. I'll do it as a flashback. OK, what next?

Writer B: It just says "Give characters depth by expanding on their emotional state." again.

Writer A: Are you sure it's working right?

Writer B: I don't know. It's suggesting the loneliness thing again.

Patrick Stewart: Oh hey guys, I was trying to add an option to the spreadsheet about their clothes falling off and I think I deleted all the stuff about plot and logic by mistake. 

Writer A (writing): OK, and Picard spends the episode sitting in a dusty basement room full of filing cabinets.

3 hours ago, drmick said:

I haven't watched all of Enterprise or Voyager- but has it been established before on onscreen canon if Vulcans had been on Earth before first contact?

Yes - one thing that’s not quite as clear is whether the Vulcans should have had transporter tech capable of transporting lifeforms at this point.

4 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Enterprise had an episode entirely based on the concept (a good one, too). 

Wasn't it suggested that T'Pol made that story up? I can't remember exactly how they left it. 

1 minute ago, Mike1812 said:

Wasn't it suggested that T'Pol made that story up? I can't remember exactly how they left it. 

I don't think so. I may start re-watch of Enterprise. 

4 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

No, it was left as unknown.

it was T'Pols grandmother and the episode ends in tPols quarters with her unwrapping an old period earth bag that suggests that it was real from her grandmother and that it was true.

23 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Hang on, so the FBI agent wasn’t actually Temporal Agent Ducane from Voyager, despite them being played by the same actor? That’s DeKay levels of Star Trek trolling. 

As to the latest clip, you can actually envisage it taking form in the writers’ room. 

Writer A: ‘So the Borg assimilate species to try and achieve perfection, but as we all know, perfection is impossible.’ *Takes a moment to bask in their own intelligence* ‘So what are they really looking for?’ 

Writer B: ‘Maybe they’re lonely?’ 

Writer A: ‘Oooh, I like that! Like when you keep going on bad dates, they keep doing bad assimilations. But they still can’t connect!’ 

Writer C : ‘So the queen destroys entire species because she’s emotionally unavailable?’ 

Writer A: ‘Sure. I don’t know. Those fucking nerds will nitpick whatever we write anyway. Just throw a few swears in there to really garnish the shit sundae.’ 

Patrick Stewart: ‘Borg…..Borg…Oh! I was Locutus of Borg!’ 

All writers: ‘Yes Patrick, we know.’ 

Anyone else think the “stuck in the past “ hint was the agent about to reveal himself from the far future?

I've just suffered through episode 7, and god, Picard himself only exists to explain to the audience the tenuous reason they're connecting one scene to the next. It's atrociously bad writing.

11 hours ago, Nicky said:

it was T'Pols grandmother and the episode ends in tPols quarters with her unwrapping an old period earth bag that suggests that it was real from her grandmother and that it was true.

Probably the best Enterprise episode imo.  Certainly the one that sticks most in the memory.

3 hours ago, davidcotton said:

Anyone else think the “stuck in the past “ hint was the agent about to reveal himself from the far future?

Indeed. It was such bizarrely obvious signposting that it’s almost like they intended to do it at one point, then changed their minds but left the line in. 

On 23/04/2022 at 16:24, Bacon Horsemeat said:

I can't believe I ever hated on Enterprise. That series was a masterpiece compared to Discovery and Picard.

Yup, and like a bellend I'll be watching season 3 just because of the OG cast

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead