IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead

layten

So a theory.

How about they do what they’re supposed to but la sirena can’t get fixed and so they’re stuck there.  Then the ship gets discovered and it’s that that throws everything out. 

Fucking hell, they're actually saying that was suppoosed to be the origin story of the name Ten Forward and sounding really smug about it like its a stroke of genius.

This is very annoying, because I looked at an incident a couple of episodes ago and thought "Don't do that it's a bit obvious"..

Spoiler

After Alison Pill "Impressed" the Borg from 24, it seemed like it might be a really annoying thing where she becomes the Queen of the future that went "Look up" to Dr X. So, yeah, she is now the super amazing past future borg queen who was/is the best because she's Alison Pill.
Please don't do that Star Trek, surprise me! SURPRISE ME!

There will be another season, confirmed to be the last. As well as Stewart and Spiner, Frakes and Sirtis will be back. And McFadden, Burton and Dorn joining too.

i cant fucking WAIT to see how they do Worf - what with the discovery shitshow of pointlessly redesigning the Klingons. Will they remember they did this? or more to the point will they care? Part of me hopes we get a newly designed Worf so we can finally consign all this shit to an alternate make believe timeline of Trek.

The Reddit r/startrek group doesn't allow criticism of Nutrek. They dish out bans if you get too vocal. An alternate group was set up called r/star_trek where people could chat freely about issues they have with the new shows. 

It was going well until the admins at r/startrek started complaining to the main Reddit admin and got thr group shut down. Taking admin rights away from the person who created it. 

I reckon paramount have their fingers firmly in the r/startrek admin pie. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Star_Trek_II/comments/tx3il6/timeline_of_events_megathread/

10 hours ago, Barnard said:

The Reddit r/startrek group doesn't allow criticism of Nutrek. They dish out bans if you get too vocal. An alternate group was set up called r/star_trek where people could chat freely about issues they have with the new shows. 

It was going well until the admins at r/startrek started complaining to the main Reddit admin and got thr group shut down. Taking admin rights away from the person who created it. 

I reckon paramount have their fingers firmly in the r/startrek admin pie. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Star_Trek_II/comments/tx3il6/timeline_of_events_megathread/

I really don't understand how you can't criticise new trek. I've resisted this second series but it sounds again like a bad TV show, let alone bad star trek. 

2 hours ago, b00dles said:

I really don't understand how you can't criticise new trek. I've resisted this second series but it sounds again like a bad TV show, let alone bad star trek. 

I dared to see what people were saying about new Trek on Twitter and the defence force was out in full. The standard line seems to be that if you don't like new Trek you're old, out of touch and likely a bigot. Despite, you know, growing up with programmes that have promoted the strengths of unity and diversity since the 60s.

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

I dared to see what people were saying about new Trek on Twitter and the defence force was out in full. The standard line seems to be that if you don't like new Trek you're old, out of touch and likely a bigot. Despite, you know, growing up with programmes that have promoted the strengths of unity and diversity since the 60s.

I’ve seen quite a few dissenting voices, particularly around Discovery, but most of the very noisy fanbase who’ve declared this current batch as the best Trek ever just delete the critical posts and block the people making them.

Advertising season 3 half way through season 2 is a new one on me.

Sadly I assume they're getting on with it as quick as possible before Patrick Stewart deteriorates more.

I haven't seen twitter, but I'm always amazed how upbeat people on Instagram are about modern trek. Modern fans calling anybody who dislikes it 'Trekbros' as if old fans are incapable of understanding this amazing new thing. If it was exactly the same story with new characters/universe, nothing to do with Star Trek, it would have died on its arse instantly. It's just bad sci-fi.

1 minute ago, Fuddle said:

Advertising season 3 half way through season 2 is a new one on me.

Sadly I assume they're getting on with it as quick as possible before Patrick Stewart deteriorates more.

They've already filmed season 3 as its meant to be the last. They did them in a single batch probably because of his advancing years.

There's something very odd about the hardcore discovery defenders.

Like if you don't like it. It must be because you're against what you perceive as "woke" or you must hate people think are "SJW"s. Basically if you don't like it, it's because you're an alt-right incel troll gamon sterotype and it's just joked about in a smug fashion.

Thing is, I actually like Discovery for its diversity. Black female main character, diverse cast, gay couple front and centre, non-binary cast member and character… it’s all good. It’s the kind of thing Star Trek should be doing. 

It’s everything else about it that’s dogshit. 

I like that it's willing to incorporate present-day issues and progressive norms within its futuristic narrative, as most sci-fi tends to do.

What I dont like is that it's ham-fisted and poorly executed by the writers, so much so that it would make me question their authenticity were it not for the fact that the rest of it is equally poor...which admittedly, does make me question whether they're authentic fans of the franchise at all, so you could just as easily call into question anything else theyre attempting to do here. It's all just so naff there's no way this can be their genuine best attempt.

14 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Thing is, I actually like Discovery for its diversity. Black female main character, diverse cast, gay couple front and centre, non-binary cast member and character… it’s all good. It’s the kind of thing Star Trek should be doing. 

Embracing diversity all the way down to having Space Hitler an important part of the crew.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Embracing diversity all the way down to having Space Hitler an important part of the crew.

And giving her a spin-off centered around her adventures in Section 31, known for their fine moral standing.

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

They forgot to write a good show in amongst all of that though. 

7 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I was going to post that those diversity characters actually do a disservice to equality because they are written as somehow neurotic or lacking confidence. But then I realised that the entire cast is written that way really.

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead