IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead

layten

14 hours ago, layten said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Surely the events off Time's Arrow no longer happened as the timeline went all 'I can't believe it's not the mirror universe' before then.

That does feel like I am giving the writers too much credit.

Yeah, that makes sense. Does that mean that in this timeline spooky temporal aliens are still running around Earth's past stealing souls?

Just now, BossSaru said:

Yeah, that makes sense. Does that mean that in this timeline spooky temporal aliens are still running around Earth's past stealing souls?

Could be, or the Confederation might have gone all 'Suffer not the Xenos to live' on them already.

37 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

While we're on the topic of time travel events being written out of history- Earth's climate in the timeline of the Confederation is barely held together, so presumably whales were hastened even further into extinction and still won't be around to avert the probe from Star Trek IV. That probe immediately rendered Starfleet's ships useless, so it's a leap to think that the Confederation ships simply having bigger guns did the trick.

(I'm sure we could play the game of previous disasters being averted through diplomacy and a sensitivity the Confederation lacks all day.)

Edit: just read that Kurtzman did a commentary track for The Voyage Home Blu-ray, which made me fell a bit ill. Why would anyone care what he thinks about proper Trek? He just treats it like a museum of references to plunder for his own inane crap.

20 hours ago, BossSaru said:

I’d also be most interested to know how the Confederation exterminated the Borg, given they would have had no advance warning of their existence or an inside man via Locutus to make up for inferior technology. You can have bigger and tougher starships, and many more of them, but if they’re all using phasers and photon torpedos then you’re still going to be fucked. 

Also killing the Borg queen would do nothing, unless you’ve wiped out all other Borg in the universe (and let’s think about that for a second. Given how big they said Borg space was in Voyager.) The instant a queen is killed, a signal is sent to the collective to make another. 

43 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

I’d also be most interested to know how the Confederation exterminated the Borg, given they would have had no advance warning of their existence or an inside man via Locutus to make up for inferior technology. You can have bigger and tougher starships, and many more of them, but if they’re all using phasers and photon torpedos then you’re still going to be fucked. 

Also killing the Borg queen would do nothing, unless you’ve wiped out all other Borg in the universe (and let’s think about that for a second. Given how big they said Borg space was in Voyager.) The instant a queen is killed, a signal is sent to the collective to make another. 

How would the last bit even work? Do they take a drone and give them their independent thought back somehow?

40 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Would the Borg still be as interested in earth at this point?  Given it was (chronologically shown anyway)Q flinging the Enterprise to the delta quadrant that got their interest piqued.  

2 hours ago, GwiDan said:

How would the last bit even work? Do they take a drone and give them their independent thought back somehow?

No idea how it’s addressed in ‘the lore’ but suffice it to say taking out the queen doesn’t cripple the Borg. It may put them in disarray for a little while but nothing more than that. 

2 hours ago, davidcotton said:

Would the Borg still be as interested in earth at this point?  Given it was (chronologically shown anyway)Q flinging the Enterprise to the delta quadrant that got their interest piqued.  

Yeah, that’s a fair point. I can’t remember where but it was said that they were due to encounter humanity but not for another hundred years or so. Of course, the more the Borg have featured in Star Trek the muddier this has become. Voyager established they knew about humanity via the Hansens, so it probably wasn’t until Q saved the Enterprise by transporting it halfway across the galaxy in a matter of seconds that the Borg thought ‘we’ve never seen that before,’ and set course for Earth. Up until that point the Federation was no doubt some way down on their list for future assimilation. Imagine their bemusement when they steam-rolled through Starfleet’s defences and found no trace of the cool tech that saved the Enterprise.

I think there wasn’t much thought behind having the captured queen in Picard besides trying to show how tough the Confederation was. A bit like in TNG when a threat was judged by how easily it could throw Worf across the room. 

I think it was implied that the Borg had been eradicated, with the Queen the last to go as part of the Eradication Day ceremony. That doesn't explain how the Confederation managed that of course, although I suppose they could just have developed their military technology so much that they were able to overpower them. 

I guess it's not really important, as it's not like this timeline is going to have any kind of lasting impact on the canon, 

3 hours ago, GwiDan said:

I don't think Queens have independent thought as such, unless they're separated from the collective. They're supposed to be a sort of central command hub for the collective consciousness, giving direction to the drones but not really being "above" them. There's not really a good reason why the Borg would need such a role, but First Contact happened so we're stuck with it.

4 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I think it was implied that the Borg had been eradicated, with the Queen the last to go as part of the Eradication Day ceremony. That doesn't explain how the Confederation managed that of course, although I suppose they could just have developed their military technology so much that they were able to overpower them.

My guess is that the Confederation to studied the Borg and come up with a virus similar to the one Picard refused to infect Hugh with. I wouldn't put it past the Confederation to allow test subjects to be assimilated expressly for this purpose.

Spoiler

"Russian satellite collision"

Ooh topical!

Surely Picard is smart enough to realise that this isn't HIS particular Romulan coffin creeper.

Oh it's okay he made it in the end.

The Astronaut stuff being intercut with the talky bit with the dramatic music is so weird. It's like they assume you're going to get bored with the conversation if it doesn't dramatically cut to something EXCITING. Even if the excitement is for a simulated exercise.

Oh it's directed by Frakes at least.

Erm, why is the fucking Borg communicating with the computer verbally.

Rafi is a Star Fleet officer and she's annoyed at the fucking ex Borg quibbling over time travel rules. WHAT.

"You're being too careless"

"And you're being too God damn careful'

Says the Starfleet officer about potentially breaking a time line that they are LITERALLY trying to fix. I've just laughed so hard I coughed up a bit of asbestos that's been stuck in my lung since 1987 :lol:

Spoiler

They are really leaning into this Elnor/Rafi shit. It's as though there's a whole series of comics that developed their relationship that we missed. Elnor was a barely formed character even at the end of the last season.

Apparently all "aliens" look the same to Rafi. Jeez.

Who the fuck even is this Watcher character and why does she look like Picard's Romulan scandal waiting to happen? Is it just because they wanted an end of episode stinger of oh shit! Laris! (Spelling?), When it is currently being completely ignored in this conversation now. Is the idea that she appears as someone Picard trusts? Fuck knows.

Oh fuck they're going to tackle depression. Oh fuck. Oh shit. Gooooooood.

Spoiler

Oh fucking keep up Picard, we know it's John Delancie.

Thank God they just dropped the depression thing before it got started. We got as far as a character going "I just feel like nothing matters"

Oh God no. Here we go. Of COURSE it has to come back to the Data and Picard shit because that's all they think matters from TNG because the writers have only watched Nemesis.

Can someone also explain to me, isn't Soong like, years later than 2024?

Oh God I just had a thought... Is this going to lean into the Q-anon conspiracy stuff? That would be amazing :lol:

Someone explain to me why they left the Borg alone again? Where is Jurati? That security guard incident has just fucked up time.

Picard's "I don't know!" Goes for all of this shit.

They keep referencing astronaut shit but the opening credits of Enterprise was more interesting astronaut stuff than this shit, and that was shite!

The scientist with an ill daughter is an extremely tired trope at this point.

Oh my god at least take the sun blocking drones away a few at a time to check it actually worked before literally jumping into the water and swimming right away. Science.

Hold on, Jurati killed a Borg with a shotgun? Fine. What was the purpose of all this?

Q and Soong being introduced as this entire separate plotline that we're expected to follow apropos of nothing...

Anyway, so, another Picard is literally the hope for the future? Is this why, HOLD MY BEER, the real secret reason the show is called, "Picard?!"

I don't know about you, but I'm definitely ashamed of my words and deeds.

I will say, all the TNG guest stars continue to do a decent acting job with what is otherwise an awful script and aggressively stupid writing in general. 

And by 'aggressively stupid', I mean it is genuinely like they are actively trying to lower your IQ by sheer force as you watch.

Spoiler

What even IS the Watcher? Why is she?

And oh goodie it's dress up time for the last five minutes for some reason. Which goes ABSOLUTELY nowhere. It's the set-up without any actual follow through, as after all the Picard "plan" being talked up Alison Pill turns up, gets booked, and that's it. Fucking what :lol:

Jurati gets her Borg rocks off finally. Yay.

10 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

I will say, all the TNG guest stars continue to do a decent acting job with what is otherwise an awful script and aggressively stupid writing in general. 

And by 'aggressively stupid', I mean it is genuinely like they are actively trying to lower your IQ by sheer force as you watch.

Yeah I can't fault any of the actors. These people are professionals. They can keep a straight face through all of this.

did you two not think Brent Spiners acting was a bit...dogshit in this? theres at least one absolute ham emotional reaction in this that didnt sell it. Also apparently Q uses smiley emotes to end his messages now? Theres also a complete random as fuck "comedy" moment between fucking Raffi and Picard not knowing anything but Raffi is acting like there's not a care in the world even after being an emotional wreck for the entire series.

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead