IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead

layten

Spoiler

Is any of this "this stuff is bad!" stuff going to actually have any relevance to anything? Because they're leaning reeeeally hard into it, and you don't get to do all this pointing and going, wow isn't the world shit right now, without making that actual subject of what the solutions to those problems are or maybe actually explore the moral issues about what the causes of all this stuff is.

Like, you could address by taking about the problem being, say, Capitalism or something or whatever and make the show explore that and work through what you do about it. Otherwise you just get a kind of "poverty" tourism. Star Trek is basically Space Communism so how about them taking about what eventually brings that utopia about.

Spoiler

This BorgAgnes stuff is so shite. Just fuck already.

Oh thank God the car chase is finally over.

"Rios is coming fast" steady on.

So Guinan is not a Watcher. Guess that was too obvious. Does any of it matter? Where am I? What day is it? Why is there an eyeless child who can't act now?

"What is this pantomime?" A rare piece of the show becoming self-aware.

Oh no, the watcher is that Romulan lady! Megaton! What was any of the immigration and poor people stuff in aid of? Did it matter?

Argh.

Oh look Q, I forgot he was in this.

Ahm oot.

21 hours ago, Harsin said:
  Hide contents

I thought Guinan having a bar on 10 Forward avenue was just going to be a brief bit of cloying memberberries fanservice. Do the writers actually know why the bar on the Enterprise was called 10 Forward? It was at the front of of Deck 10. Does Guinan spend decades searching for locations where she can get a barmaid job at venues with a very particular name. 

Spoiler

Yeah, as a throwaway reference in the previous episode, I figured that it maybe made sense in the future if Guinan named her new bar "10" Forward as a reference to the one she had had on the Enterprise, out of nostalgia. That is a reasonable thing to exist.

But to have the same bar name in the past makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and is thunderingly stupid.

I dunno, Guinan experiences time non linearly or some shit. But we don't. Nor do the writers.

ARGH

EDIT: I see someone else also give that out to the writers above. They can have that one. I'll allow it.

Spoiler

So they named the "Sanctuary District" in this episode as where Rios was being taken. That's where the Bell riots episode of DS9 took place. There's no way Avery Brooks would have come back for this though is there?

Spoiler

As much as I'd love to see Sisko again, I really hope not. I'm more than happy for Brooks to steer clear of this disaster of a series.

Also worth remembering that Kurtzman doesn't seem to have even an elementary grasp of TNG, so I doubt that he's even aware of that episode of DS9.

Sir Pat presuambly insisted that there was a long drawn out scene with his dog in it. "Pitbulls are lovely you know.  We should have a scene with me in a bar. The pitbull comes up to me and I can fuss it..."

Well I am going against the grain here, but this season is really growing on me.  It is far more interesting and assured than the first season, I am intrigued where it is going and tbh since the opener I am actively looking forward to the next episode.

This is just 99% filler. 

Again it could have been 5 minutes long. 

And none of it makes sense or matters.

Spoiler

Guinan doesn’t recognise Picard even though she met him a hundred years ago.... but she does know his name. And she won’t take him to the watcher even though she knows he’s from the future until he reveals his name? What! 

I also didnt realise that when he said “home” previously he meant his actual house, rather than a general earth or something. 

And the ship has a cloak now because I guess it needs one, even though it would have been handy in that battle/escape.

It’s just shit.

I thought this was entertaining enough, again, but it's still so very drawn out. There was no meaningful character development other than to repeat stuff from last week, and the only real plot development was that

Spoiler

Picard's finally found the Watcher

That's literally it!

All that episode process was that the writers have never really watched Star Trek. I can forgive the odd little plot hole, but...

Spoiler

...what's the deal with Guinan having no idea who Picard is? He spends half the episode trying to convince her that he is legit when he could have simply said "Remember that time in the 1800s when me and some mates from the future came back and we had that adventure with Mark Twain? We were stuck in that cave for a while after I saved your life and I did that stuff with the robot's head".

FFS, if nothing else Patrick Stewart should have laughed when he read the draft script and asked for a writing team who know more about Trek than "make it so" and "phasers on stun".

It's just really sloppy. You would get better editorial standards in erotic fanfic. This show is so clearly not written for fans. See you all again next week.

Yeah, the show runners have waved that away by saying that Time’s Arrow never happened (would be nice. Dreadful two parter) in this timeline, but presumably Guinan knew who Picard was because she senses changes in the timeline as we saw in Yesterday’s Enterprise. It all feels very ‘fuck y’all. We’re going to write our own Star Trek. With blackjack and hookers!’ 

That Patrick Stewart approved these scripts and said he’s ‘very excited’ about them is both :lol: and :( 

On 24/03/2022 at 20:55, Vespa Alex said:

Anyone know where the police station scenes were filmed? It looks familiar. 

It's definitely used as the exterior of the police station in The Rookie series.

I have clearly forgotten all of the TNG time travel lore. For some reason my brain is say Guinan first popped up in the future on that El Aurian refugee ship at the start of Generations.

22 hours ago, GwiDan said:
  Hide contents

So they named the "Sanctuary District" in this episode as where Rios was being taken. That's where the Bell riots episode of DS9 took place. There's no way Avery Brooks would have come back for this though is there?

Spoiler

There are obviously ties being drawn here however:

1. Although set in 2024 the events of Picard and the Bell Riots themselves are months apart.

2. The Bell Riots were in San Fran whilst this, so far, has been contained to Los Angeles.

It will be interesting to see how the events from DS9 have any impact to this, if at all, but I don't see Sisko/Avery Brooks appearing in this.

I semi-enjoyed series 1, mainly because it was good to have Picard and Data back but this series is just nonsensical pish.

Spoiler

The whole "Romulan Mrs Doyle is in love with Picard" bit was weird and now she's the watcher?

The Borg queen is supposed to be calculating and menacing but just comes across as extremely smug.

Agnes' kooky act got boring after about 5 minutes.

Raafi's OTT mourning scenes didn't do her acting skills any favours.

Picard just looks and sounds knackered. His robot body obviously needs a service.

Seven comes out of it OK so far as she's been given (relatively) better material to work with, apart from driving like a stunt driver in that cop car for some reason.

Rios is the most interesting of the lot. I'd like to see him in some more traditional Starfleet scenes/episodes.

There are small mercies I suppose, I thought the Watcher would end up being Wesley Crusher.

The only good thing I can say about it is that it's trying to deal with complex and important issues (environment, racism, poverty etc) even if it is being a bit heavy handed so far.

I like Rios, cigar and all. This show does make me feel a bit like “did you know Patrick Stewart also played a completely unrelated character called Jean-Luc Picard in ST:TNG” though. 

10 hours ago, BossSaru said:

All that episode process was that the writers have never really watched Star Trek. I can forgive the odd little plot hole, but...

Reveal hidden contents

...what's the deal with Guinan having no idea who Picard is? He spends half the episode trying to convince her that he is legit when he could have simply said "Remember that time in the 1800s when me and some mates from the future came back and we had that adventure with Mark Twain? We were stuck in that cave for a while after I saved your life and I did that stuff with the robot's head".

FFS, if nothing else Patrick Stewart should have laughed when he read the draft script and asked for a writing team who know more about Trek than "make it so" and "phasers on stun".

It's just really sloppy. You would get better editorial standards in erotic fanfic. This show is so clearly not written for fans. See you all again next week.

Spoiler

Surely the events off Time's Arrow no longer happened as the timeline went all 'I can't believe it's not the mirror universe' before then.

That does feel like I am giving the writers too much credit.

12 hours ago, layten said:
  Hide contents

Surely the events off Time's Arrow no longer happened as the timeline went all 'I can't believe it's not the mirror universe' before then.

That does feel like I am giving the writers too much credit.

Which means Sisko in the riots didn’t either.

On 26/03/2022 at 13:19, BossSaru said:

Laris blows Picard away in a puff of smoke, oh yeahhhhh

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead