IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead

layten

10 hours ago, Eighthours said:

But why would the actors do it? They've earned so much from the show that they pretty much never have to work again - filming episodic television is a massive slog. I would absolutely love there to be a proper Next Gen sequel but I can't see it happening.

I think we have to hope for the Pike show to be episodic rather than story arc based. It's amazing how I've 180'd on this. At the time of TNG/DS9, I was so excited whenever one episode linked into another, and really wanted Trek to do serialised storytelling like Babylon 5 was doing. Now, though, having been revisiting TNG, it's so bloody nice to have individual episodes with a beginning, middle and end. I can see it all coming full circle in the end. There was a good thread on Twitter about this from Javier Grillo-Marxauch, who was a writer on Lost Seasons 1 and 2 and hosts the popular Children of Tendu podcast which talks about how to get into screenwriting:

Heh, that’s so true of Law and Order etc.  Whenever I’m away with work I can always count on Law and Order or SVU or something to be on as something I can watch, no matter what series it is or who did what when, just watch. :lol:

6 hours ago, Harsin said:

Picard was clearly asserting his alpha dominance over Riker with that commander thing.

He ended up an Admiral though; he could have given Will the Captain tag and still lorded it over him :)

It doesn’t really matter - I was so happy to see Riker and Troi again.

The dialogue is shit in that Picard scene. When she says, “First, take this.” my first assumption would be “okey dokey I’ll put it in my pocket for safe keeping.” But instead we just go straight to nom nom nom. I mean, okay, it’s a futuristic looking space pill and the character would have an idea what it is, but to me it didn’t look remotely edible!

Yeah same. It was a really bad scene in my opinion, but then the series has been full of them.

I hope Star Trek gets bought by some other company and they say that Discovery and Picard arent canon, as they're just so dumb and full of out of character dialogue and actions, not to mention ignoring the established lore.

At least he was his half brother, and clearly not very Vulcan. A heretic in fact you might say, so little wonder he was totally forgotten about, and not mentioned by Spock.

Unlike Burnham, who should clealy just be forgotten about completely, as it never happened - fuck you Kurtzman you clod.

Episode 8

Objectively that was better - but I really didn't like it. I think it's the story is still nonsense. Although as with last week there are some nice scenes/interactions.

Did I miss something? If those found the secret 14 years ago....haven't the Zat Vash been in existence with this secret for hundreds/thousands of years?

Well, from this week’s episode, it seems obvious that they’ve nicked big chunks of their ‘mind breaking secret’ from the Mass Effect trilogy’s plot.

I’m kind of glad, as I was being dragged along, waiting for things to come together, but such developments give me the ‘well, that’ll do it,’ excuse I’ve been waiting for to stop watching. I knew the writers were slapdash, but this is shameless. 

Seven -

Spoiler

I think it would make for an awesome storyline if she became the Borg Queen. With hints of the old one's voice coming back to needle at her, sure Krige would be willing or even the one from the TV show.

Those holograms of the captain are truly terrible... those accents.. urgh!

1 hour ago, Garibaldi said:

Well, from this week’s episode, it seems obvious that they’ve nicked big chunks of their ‘mind breaking secret’ from the Mass Effect trilogy’s plot.

I’m kind of glad, as I was being dragged along, waiting for things to come together, but such developments give me the ‘well, that’ll do it,’ excuse I’ve been waiting for to stop watching. I knew the writers were slapdash, but this is shameless. 

I doubt I'll be bothering with season 2 when/if it gets the greenlight, I'll just watch the clips of Picard meeting up with old crew/cast members on youtube.

For a show called Star Trek Picard there often isn't very much Picard, and this week was the Rios show, where the actor proves that he lied on his CV about his ability to carry Irish and Scottish accents, and all in the name of serving a plot point that could have been handled in a couple of scenes.

The new model of streaming series which have 5 times more episodes than plot is not working out well for Jean-Luc, I'm afraid.

7 hours ago, Hexx said:

Episode 8

Hide contents

Did I miss something? If those found the secret 14 years ago....haven't the Zat Vash been in existence with this secret for hundreds/thousands of years?

No... 

Spoiler

It's just that scene that happened 14 years prior, it was an 'initiation' of sorts to see who was mentally strong enough to become another Zhat Vash.

That scene was not the discovery of the prothean beacon, which is exactly what that thing is. A beacon sending out a warning via telepathy that burns into your brain a vision of war and death at the hands of synthetic life. It's Star Trek ripping off Mass Effect, which ripped off Star Trek (and a good deal of Babylon 5 and other sci-fi).

I fucking loved it! :lol: Seriously, I thought it was another excellent episode. Loved the Seven stuff too. Also glad this is now veering well away from some of the wilder speculation and theories from earlier (including my own). It's coming together nicely now. 

A pretty good episode I thought, and Raffi was pretty good in it, flexing her conspiracy and investigation muscles finally. Anyway, the explanation also wasnt terrible, and there is lore to back it up, even as far back as The Original Series (which had a load of really bad androids btw - bad as in nowhere near as advanced as Data).

Spoiler

The planet and its system was created some 2-300,000 years ago, and was created artificially. Who has the power to do that? Q? Why would he do all that? No, I dont think its Q. There are plenty of other beings out there that could do this, and not with god like powers either.

The Tkon Empire is one - they've been in Next Gen in one of the earlier episodes (The Last Outpost), however they were active 600,000 years ago, which puts them out of the equation, unless there were remnants or some other explanation.

I think (if the showrunners have thought this through) that the most likely race to have done this, however, is the Iconians, as the timeline fits better with their destruction 200,000 years ago.

Ancient texts called the Iconians "Demons of Air and Darkness", who were said to have the ability to appear at will on far-flung planets without the use of starships. This was later found to be a reference to the Iconians' gateway technology, whose instant teleportation allowed them to establish outposts at least as far as Vandros IV in the Gamma Quadrant. Until the discovery of Iconia in 2365, the Iconians were still dismissed by many as nothing more than myth.

Historically, the Iconians were generally described as a race of conquerors, though recently some scholars disputed this claim as a distortion perpetuated by species who feared and demonized their advanced technology, and eventually destroyed them. It was speculated that not all of the Iconians perished in the attacks, but rather used their gateways to escape to other worlds. Indeed, the similarity between the Iconian language and the later languages of Dewan, Dinasian, and Iccobar was cited as evidence of this theory.

Probably wont be delved into too deeply, if at all, but the Romulans must have found this planet after splitting from the Vulcans, and during their wanderings looking for a new home planet.

Commodore O is apparently half Romulan, half Vulcan btw, and Saavik from the original Star Trek films was supposed to be the same, but was never mentioned on screen. Saavik performed the Pon Farr with Spock, so why not have Oh do a mind meld? Vulcans doing one without consent? Its not like Spock hasnt also done one without consent -  He made Kirk forget a girl (admittedly an android, in one episode, and also got a bit mind rapey in Undiscovered Country with Valeris. Oh dear.

Anyway, it all came together well, apart from the Borg bit which felt a bit on the small side - more Romulans being killed would have been more satisfying, especially after what happened earlier. Maybe the Cube will show up later, though how Seven will know where to go is beyond me.

If it keeps like this now, then I might watch season 2, despite what I said earlier :lol:

5 minutes ago, Death's Head said:

Everyone seemed a bit more sparky this episode which was nice and we got some plot. Seven was

Hide contents

a bit useless though - she didn't manage to save a single Borg with all her dithering, nor take out a single Romulan. What a waste.

You must have blinked and missed the bit where that actually happened then :P

I rather get the sense they really struggle with the budget on this show. Whereas Discovery seems to have loads of budget to spend, Picard seems to be very short of money.  The reusing of the actor as all the holograms, the reusing of the vineyard set it just seems that everything is being done on a bit of shoestring. 

The more I think about it, the more I think it's the weakest episode

The 'secret' us ultimately underwhelming. It's not quite a rip off as Mass Effect - as Mass Effect was "A specific type of synth will come and destroy you" where this (seems to be) "Any Synthetic life will eventually turn and destroy you" (at least that's what the Beacons said, the debate on synthetic life changes over 3 games)

Everyone is connected. Oh, Rizzo, xB Romulan etc it just's shrinking the world.

Speaking of Raffi just happened to put Picard in contact with one of the minuscule number of people who've previously interacted with this synth planet? It's reach SW prequel levels of small scale story telling

Seven got to the cube and beamed on awfully easily - but then so did Elrond - compared to the fuss Picard had to do to get on and off.

Angnes has psychic blocks? Until she didn't...

Aunty Romulan broken the Borg cube because of how much she hated synths?

There's still some nice scenes (the 1 on 1 moments are normally good, and actors are clearly giving it all) but with it's storyline and storytelling problems it just ends up so much less than it's parts.

3 hours ago, McCoy said:

I rather get the sense they really struggle with the budget on this show. Whereas Discovery seems to have loads of budget to spend, Picard seems to be very short of money.  The reusing of the actor as all the holograms, the reusing of the vineyard set it just seems that everything is being done on a bit of shoestring. 

I got that sense too. In fairness the effects are excellent so I'm guessing they skimped on actual physical sets to allow for a bigger fx budget.

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead