IGNORED

Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead

layten

None of the recent Trek has appealed to me, so this is my first interaction with it for ages. So I am not sure what I am supposed to know or not. Some questions for the experts!

1. Do all the Romulans live in that borg cube now? Is that new?

2. Who was that woman Picard went to at the end of episode 2?

3. That synthetics going nuts on Mars thing - is that new for this series, or was that already in the canon?

4. Picard's brain nasty seems to be a 'pre-existing condition' from what I read in here. Can anyone elucidate?

I am liking it though. Like most Trek, it struggles under the weight of its own accumulated lore but the story seems it might be solid.

1. Romulus was destroyed in 2009's Star Trek film(before timetraveling back to new "timeline the main story is set in"). Picard references this in ep1. It's unlikely all Romulans are on that cube - they're probably scattered across quadrant

2. No idea - think she's a new main character

3. New

4. "All Good Things", the original TNG, finale had scenes set in past, present and future (relative to show). In the future version Picard had the same brain condition. So it's tying into that vision of a possible future

1 hour ago, Garibaldi said:

I’m surprised he didn’t tell his Doctor exactly what the brain condition was. Might have helped with some pre-emptive treatment! 

There is none. Also covered in All Good Things - he gets Crusher in the "TNG present" to check for it and she confirms he has a marker (so higher chance of getting it) for it. She says there's no cure.

Sure, time has passed, but the doctor in this episode said the same so it's still uncurable.

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

Apparently that’s covered in a companion comic -

Reveal hidden contents

she’s Picard’s Number One from his final ship before he left Starfleet.

Spoiler

903832548_StarTrek-PicardCountdown01(of03)-009.thumb.jpg.a4b615757d738c8072256565a6eeec1a.jpg

4 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

Are the comics considered "canon"? 'Cos there was a comic that came out around the time of ST2009 that had Data still alive and fully functional inside B4's body, and that's obviously been retconned out of existence now.

They aren't now. I think they are canon until TV and Movies say otherwise. You could just assume they aren't in the first place, but it takes the fun out of reading them.

Even the stuff leading up to Picard, the people making the show won't have looked at or cared about the comic. There is a novel coming out soon too and I doubt that got looked at either.

No, I don't really think any comics or books are really canon, only what is on screen.  Clearly though, things like the comics will be considered to be valid in isolation with things like the 2009 Start Trek film and this comic with Picard but won't be binding on anything else. 

ooh, i tell a lie. Kirsten Beyer helped with the plot of the Picard comic and done the same with some Discovery comics too. She is a ST TV writer, and got creator credit on Picard.

Before that she wrote a lot of Voyager books. They weren't my favourite.

4 hours ago, deKay said:

There is none. Also covered in All Good Things - he gets Crusher in the "TNG present" to check for it and she confirms he has a marker (so higher chance of getting it) for it. She says there's no cure.

Sure, time has passed, but the doctor in this episode said the same so it's still uncurable.

Even with a lot of incurable conditions, the patient’s remaining lifespan and quality of life can still be improved with treatment. The Doctor in the episode said ‘some of them are treatable.’ Thought it might’ve been prudent for Picard to find out which ones! 

13 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Even with a lot of incurable conditions, the patient’s remaining lifespan and quality of life can still be improved with treatment. The Doctor in the episode said ‘some of them are treatable.’ Thought it might’ve been prudent for Picard to find out which ones! 

He may not want to know, rather carry on as he can until he can’t.

Or he may assume the future condition he lived in All Good Things is what is going to be.

Or he might have dismissed it all out of hand as one of Q's games. Don't forget one of the big things he saw was the future Enterprise D decades in the future yet not shortly after this it was all destroyed thanks to the wavey wriggly line of the Nexus. Crazy things happened when Q sent him back to relive the stab through the heart, changed all the timelines yet the show never confirmed if it was real or not so he wouldn't be sure either.

Not bad, but a beat which didn’t feel true to Picard’s character. 

Abandoning his first-officer after leaving Starfleet, despite her having been on his side the entire time. That’s not something Picard would do. However, if he abandoned her for calling him ‘JL’ like an edgy twelve year old, then fair enough.

Yep, that was good. Again with the space Irish, though. Why does the hologram version of the captain have a stupid Irish accent? 

But yeah, that final scene ... all the feels. 

Stewart is showing his age though, its his voice. He sounds frail, especially if like me you've recently  been watching the odd TNG episode and movie. 

• layten changed the title to Star Trek: Picard - Don't bother, go watch Strange New Worlds instead