Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

layten

2 hours ago, Welrain said:

I’ll not be watching this series. It’s not just bad trek, it’s just bad.  Can’t wait for the next season of The Orville.

I look forward to your review in 6 months.

On 03/09/2021 at 11:09, BossSaru said:

Are the Borg still scary? They stopped being a threat way back in Voyager and are now seem about as dangerous to the Federation as the pakleds.

They were never scary because they had that stupid rule about not attacking unless they sensed a threat. And sometimes their bar for that was pretty high, like "hmm, some humans, the only species we've ever encountered that make a half decent job of resisting us, have teleported onto our cube. And they're planting bombs in our warp core room. Oh well, never mind."

8 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

They were never scary because they had that stupid rule about not attacking unless they sensed a threat. And sometimes their bar for that was pretty high, like "hmm, some humans, the only species we've ever encountered that make a half decent job of resisting us, have teleported onto our cube. And they're planting bombs in our warp core room. Oh well, never mind."

I actually thought of this more as “you hold no interest to me, nothing you can do could be threatening, I don’t need to assimilate you because you are inferior” arrogance. You’re right it was mostly just a plot device and I was young and naive (now just naive), but the drama where they suddenly realised they’d been outsmarted was decent.  

It also makes them scary and more alien that they're clearly drones acting as a larger whole. It's not that they're ignoring them, they don't even register. Just like a virus entering your body, eventually it'll be attacked only once it starts getting your body's attention. 

Season 3 greenlit. Season 2 coming in February. And features time travel back to the 21st century. I guess that teaser image with current looking highways in a delta badge pattern makes more sense now.

My favourite thing about Picard, my strongest memory, is how he always sounds like a sailor who just stubbed his toe. Remember when he told the Borg to piss off and the graphic detail he went into with his own Darmok story. 

Just now, revlob said:

In a show that features time travel, there's so much wrong with the sentence "We have three days, before the future is changed irrevocably."

I'm sure there will be some explanation where their method of time travel is a one shot deal. Everyone will have conveniently forgotten about slingshotting round the sun because Spock told Starfleet never to tell anyone.

Just now, Garwoofoo said:

That looks absolutely dreadful. It's going to be a whole series of Mirror Universe rubbish, isn't it?

Not at all. It's clear from the trailer that : (spoilered for anyone not looking at the trailer)

Spoiler

They will start in the mirror universe, that isn't quite the mirror universe, but still got sexy leather Hugo Boss on. Then, in a surprise twist no one could see coming, unless you saw the trailer or have half a brain, they end up in the modern day to fix it. Via SHOCK TWIST YOU CAN'T AVOID SPOILERS FOR... THE BORG!!! They just need to stop George and Gracie being assassinated by rogue... 

8 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

It's a toss up which franchise fucked the whole thing more, Star wars or Trek?

At least Star wars has the Mandalorian I suppose. 

It's not a toss up, it's Star Trek and it's not even close and it's terrifying. 

3 minutes ago, kensei said:

It's not a toss up, it's Star Trek and it's not even close and it's terrifying. 

I caught some of the notorious Star Trek V on Film 4 earlier, and honestly I’d rather have watched the rest of that than any modern Trek. At least that film gets the “heart” of Trek right, despite being a horribly misguided Shatner vanity project.