rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

On 27/03/2020 at 23:59, Mr Ben said:

With all the green lasers firing about during the scene with the multiple copies of the Sirena I thought several Star Destroyers had shown up to the fight.

"Phasers? What are those?" asks Alex Kurtzman.

:sherlock:

It's ok. I'm done now. You can have the last word if you like ;)

This reminds me of this one time, at Star Trek camp, when our squad lost a group challenge because a doofus in our group, a lad named Gomer Pile, thought a Self-Sealing Stem-bolt was a Hyperspanner! Can you believe that?!! What a dickhead! Anyway, that night after lights out and as custom dictated, we put bars of soap in our pillow cases and beat the shit out of him. It was all in good fun. I wonder what ever happened to old 'cadet' Pile. Last time I saw him he was muttering to himself in the bathroom with a phaser. I got out of there when I saw a particularly mean staff member going to confront him. 

• Upvote 7

I can forgive this series for a lot. I mean, the show was resurrecting a TV series that finished over 20 years ago and is still held up as an example of excellent television. Much like the recent Star Wars sequels, one group wants to relive the old days and the other wants something new, and this show tried to do both.

But the internal consistency was flawed, which is something that was rarely an issue with TNG and DS9-era Trek, and is painfully obvious in this show.

This is, IMO, best demonstrated by the fact that the Zhat Vash are supposed to be an ultra-secret Romulan intelligence sect, to the extent that even the Tal Shiar are barely aware of them. Which makes their 200+ ship armada a bit jarring. The show's writers went for the easy solution of creating threat by copying and pasting one ship a few hundred times, when instead they could have had the same level of fear by having a secretly developed Romulan ship decked out with Borg weaponry, or a planet-killing weapon on a cloaked vessel, or even a virus that destroys androids. Something that could have created a traditional Trek stand-off of a few ships where the immense gravity of the situation was juxtaposed by the small number of ships involved, which has led to some of the most memorable moments from TNG.

I thought that the end was going somewhere really interesting before it took a detour:

Everyone thought Picard is dead, and the android colony transfer his memories into an android with a human appearance. When he 'awakes' he sits down with Tilly and the inhabitants of the colony. "Awesome", I thought, "they are going to let everyone believe that Picard is dead (which he is - this is just a facsimile of his brain in an android), and the great Starfleet captain can spend his remaining years teaching these 'children' how to grow as a species and discover their humanity". But no, just straight back onto the bridge of the ship as if nothing had happened. Letting Picard retire to be a teacher for the 'offspring' of one of his crew would be a fitting close to the character's story. But I guess he needs to get back onto the ship to fly around having adventures with space samurai, being emo about the day he was a Borg, and wearing a beret and eyepatch to sneak into space nightclubs.

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Ban request :quote:

https://media.giphy.com/media/uUz1iGsj6t0ErjdjT1/giphy.gif

On 30/03/2020 at 19:57, sandman said:

And Stewart was decidedly average for most of the show. His fantastic acting from Logan was nowhere to be seen

As much as it pains me to say it I have to agree. Completely lacking in Picard mojo. 

Jonathan Frakes, Mirina Sirtis and, surprisingly, Brent Spiner really managed to slip back into character with conviction; Patrick Stewart and Jeri Ryan, I wasn’t buying what they were selling for embarrassingly long stretches. 

Ho hum. 

• Upvote 4

I’m a bit more forgiving of Jeri Ryan, as I expect she was pretty pissed off from the get-go. She only got the first script a few days before filming, said she didn’t recognise the voice of Seven at all in it, and flipped out as to how she was going to make this work when it wasn’t the same character. All of which is correct, of course. It wasn’t a Seven I recognised either, even taking into account twenty years of reacclimatisation in the alpha quadrant. I only wish Patrick Stewart had given a similar level of fucks for his character, being as he could actually see the scripts while they were being written. 

• Upvote 5

He clearly wants his last hurrah doing the thing most people know him for.

Shame he didnt put as much effort in as he did in his last X-Men films.

On 30/03/2020 at 09:33, Mogster said:

Oh yeah, one point bugging me for the whole series is the whole concept of a "biological android". I was reading an article a while ago about artificial consciousness, and it made the point that if a robot was programmed to perfectly simulate consciousness, is there any practical difference between that and "actual" consciousness? With that in mind, if you create an artificial human entirely out of flesh and blood, and do it so well that there's no detectable difference between that and a regular human, aren't you just building a regular human?

Reveal hidden contents

This was made all the more daft now that Picard's consciousness has been transferred to an "android" body. This new body has no special abilities, looks exactly the same as his human body, ages the same as his human body, and presumably has all the same biological functions. It will also probably never be mentioned again.

Those worm Reapers will need to be pretty smart if they're going to avoid accidentally wiping out any biological androids when they're busy wiping out the rest of the biological life in the galaxy.

There is more intelligent Science fiction in this post than the entirety of Discovery and Picard.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

He clearly wants his last hurrah doing the thing most people know him for.

Shame he didnt put as much effort in as he did in his last X-Men films.

He got the exact same ending and rebirth in X3, another tick in the unoriginal checklist.

The guy really is a complete hack. The GoT comparisons at the end of the video are quite something.

• Upvote 3

On 29/03/2020 at 14:19, Monkeyboy said:

Wait... so Romulan's are basically Vulcan's that bailed from the planet to live on Romulus and over how ever many years, their inner-eyelids to protect their sight from the Vulcan suns has evolved out...because they no longer need it. 

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Romulan

Is the inconsistency meant to be because the Romulan commander lady masquerading as a Vulcan is wearing shades? ...is that not, the point?

There was that episode of TNG where they discover a race of 'proto-Vulcans' on a planet, so the suggestion that Vulcans 'arrived' on Vulcan isn't too farfetched. I've also just discovered the word 'Vulcanoid' on Memory Alpha so that's my morning gone now.

5 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Wait... so Romulan's are basically Vulcan's that bailed from the planet to live on Romulus and over how ever many years, their inner-eyelids to protect their sight from the Vulcan suns has evolved out...because they no longer need it. 

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Romulan

Is the inconsistency meant to be because the Romulan commander lady masquerading as a Vulcan is wearing shades? ...is that not, the point?

She's not Romulan. She's supposed to be half Vulcan half Romulan. But we didnt know any of that until the last but one episode I think.

The synth doing a mind meld tops all that though :facepalm:

Also Vulcans did actually evolve on Vulcan. T'Pol says it in an episode of Enterprise, and Spock mentions it also in the ToS.

4 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

She's not Romulan. She's supposed to be half Vulcan half Romulan. But we didnt know any of that until the last but one episode I think.

The synth doing a mind meld tops all that though :facepalm:

"Being half-Vulcan & half-Romulan did you not think that she might have inherited Romulan vestigial inner eyelids, therefore she can not self-shield her eye's from the sun? "  

image.png.74a389b9d562b271211cd2c57993eff9.png

Therefore foreshadowing that she's not exactly who she's pretending she is?

Durrrr - she’s clearly from the Mirror Universe.

They did actually grab hold one of one aspect from The Measure Of Man - Picard’s speculation that Data could eventually become the father of a new race, which came to fruition.

Damn, it was just a very inconsistent series and a bit of a damp squib overall. Some great stuff, some genuinely terrible stuff, big inconsistencies in the characters etc etc. I know Picard is old, but seeing his gravitas greatly diminished by his frailty was quite sad.

Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis were the best bit of this by a long way.

• Upvote 9

Where was all the lightening?

You know the key identifying detail that helped them find the planet?

• Upvote 7

Welp, finally watched it. What a load of nonsense.

It's better than Discovery, but then being ravaged by a Gorn while having Tribbles shoved up your arse is better than Discovery.

Spoiler

But episode 7 was a singular hour of (mostly) bliss.

• Upvote 1

One thing that got my goat was the design of the main ship.

It was just so...bland and didn’t fit with the universe at all.

I mean, all the ships were shite in this (and the way they were shot they were obviously quite embarrassed by them) but the main one was the worst offender. It looked like someone stuck two staplers together. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

One thing that got my goat was the design of the main ship.

It was just so...bland and didn’t fit with the universe at all.

I mean, all the ships were shite in this (and the way they were shot they were obviously quite embarrassed by them) but the main one was the worst offender. It looked like someone stuck two staplers together. 

I didn't mind the exterior too much, but the interior was a disaster. None of it seemed to make functional sense.

I don't recall learning anything about it either- no mention of top speed, offensive or defensive properties, crew and cargo capacity etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, drmick said:

I didn't mind the exterior too much, but the interior was a disaster. None of it seemed to make functional sense.

I don't recall learning anything about it either- no mention of top speed, offensive or defensive properties, crew and cargo capacity etc.

What do you mean? It has the sack footballs on the bridge, what more do you want?

• Upvote 2

Who'd have thought Mass Effect 3 would still have so much to answer for all these years later.

13 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Just post all this guys videos

Yep, far more entertaining than the show itself.

• Upvote 2