rllmuk
layten

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

What a letdown, but I'd have been deluding myself if I'd imagined it would suddenly get its shit together for the finale. Poor.

Proof that fan service is no substitute for skilled writing.

• Upvote 2

@readonly it's not even good fan service! Theres literal fanfiction written better, more original, and with more heart than this.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, readonly said:

What a letdown, but I'd have been deluding myself if I'd imagined it would suddenly get its shit together for the finale. Poor.

Proof that fan service is no substitute for skilled writing.

Does it say something that I couldn't be bothered with last weeks and been watching Ds9 instead?  Still with the finale out tomorrow I'll push on and get both parts done.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

What the fuck was the robot space snakes about? Given they are super duper advanced aliens, why would turning off the beacon make the slightest difference?

Why would the Romulans literally driven mad given up just because they turned the beacon off?

Also a truly eye popping amount of swears. It just feels so wrong in Star Trek. 

• Upvote 3

It somewhat ruins the arrival of the cavalry moment when you wonder why no one noticed them on scanners warping in from light years away

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

Seven's anguish over having killed someone who deserved it rings a bit hollow when dropping bad 'uns is basically all she's done all through the series.

• Upvote 1

with dual guns like some Sarah Connor characterture while swigging whisky.  Its as though it's an entirely different character.

• Upvote 1

Already posted as much earlier in the thread @Harsin. New ships look like utter shite in comparison to the stuff in Next Gen, DS9 and Voyager.

Watched it, and what a load of bollocks. Seven isnt Seven - She should have been able to beat that Romulan with one hand tied behind her back. She fucking beat the Rock in an episode of Voyager (she's actually physically stronger than a human, due to her Borg implants, but Kurtzman forgot about that I guess) for crying out loud. Also the Federation (and the Romulan) ships all looked the same, so I guess they ran out of money to make them look different. Copy Pase ftw.

And why would you recreate a doddering old man instead of Data in that fucking golem? What a waste.

Oh well, at least in Star Trek Online, Geordie and the Daystrom Institute crack the Data algorythm and recreate him from B4's memories and positronic net, so fuck you Picard.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

What is it with modern Trek and

Hide contents

casually inventing methods of immortality?

:huh:

Bad writers.

• Upvote 2

I mean really that whole series could have been one episode of Next Gen. A two-parter at best.

We never did find out why Soji was on the Cube did we? Nor why Dhaj was on Earth.

If these advanced synthetic lifeforms are so advanced why do they need someone to build a beacon in order to come and fuck things up? Why don't they just come through anyway?

• Upvote 2

The worst thing is…THIS COULD HAVE WORKED! Okay, maybe not entirely turning it into Ballykissangel With Tricorders, but it would have been better than the reheated Liu Cixin story we got. Not everything has to be "the universe will end because poorly-rendered metal tentacles are coming through a hole".

• Upvote 8

This last episode was an unassailable level of bullshit.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

Where did the magic wand come from?

The robots gifted it in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it scene

"Just use your imagination"

"This defies all logic but I'll try"

-The Star Trek writers room

• Upvote 7

8 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Oh well, at least in Star Trek Online, Geordie and the Daystrom Institute crack the Data algorythm and recreate him from B4's memories and positronic net, so fuck you Picard.

That Fed ship design felt totally STO to me. In a good way too. I've probably flown one very similar :)

Spoiler

So Seven of Nine goes from "I am doing all the lazer murders" to "I do more murder" to "I regret doing a murder" in the space of about 16 minutes actual screen time.  

Fuck those guys.

• Upvote 2

So the bit at the end, the big threat

those are the same snake things that attacked that small ship in discovery from the future arnt they?

Even in a military you have variation. Combined arms.

Having fleets of 200 identikit ships just smacks of tight deadlines, limited budget, and maybe limited hardware to render it. And yeah, taken in isolation I didnt care much for the designs either.

• Upvote 1

What was the hand holding moment between 

Seven and Raffi? Did I miss a bit where they got it on? I know Rios and Jurati were kind of an item but this seemed to come out of nowhere.

After a cracking first episode I found every episode just plain boring. And please stop with the swears. It just doesn't fit.

What's my name?
Garmadon
Say it again!
Garmadon
Harmonize my name nerds
Garmadon
Ha ha ha ha
Garmadon
Dominate!

Garmadon
Garmadon
Garmadon
Garmadon
Oh yeah

When darkness falls across your town
And the big bad monsters come around
When skeletons rise up from the ground
It's Garmadon!

You feel the fear creep in your bones
You feel the earth shake in your toes
You pee your pants and you run back home
It's Garmadon!

Tell them my name nerds!!

(I'm 15 minutes into the finale! I'll catch up with the thread later. )

125-Badguys_Garmadon_Ltd.jpg

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Flub said:

That Fed ship design felt totally STO to me. In a good way too. I've probably flown one very similar :)

Its clearly a copy paste of the Avenger/Arbiter class Battlecruiser from STO. I have to wonder if they just ripped it off or actually had the rights to use it. Based on the vision being a rip off as well I have to believe its the former.