rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

I thought that too, but can't see it. Also can't ever see Stewart agreeing to it. 

The good: Space flowers, Rios showing off his S-rank at Thumper skills, the colony being quite early-TNG/TOS like colourful space hippy nonsense, using the fact that the synths had tech centuries ahead of the organics to let the plot move along at a decent clip. (Mind meld, loads of Soong-type and more advanced androids, pocket sized ship repair doohickey.) Agnes getting something to do. Sutra was a good character, very Lore-esque.

The bad: The writing, directing and editing plummeting into a toilet compared to the past two episodes. It felt like something from Discovery or the JJ Abrams movies. "25 light years in fifteen minutes"? Fuck off. The utterly terrible crashed Cube and La Sirena sets. Why was there a NatWest symbol on the La Sirena hull? Why are the synths so varying in intelligence? TNG made it clear that Soong's earlier efforts before Data were not viable to keep active. Spiner (and Jeri Ryan) turning up to cash a cheque. The totally disconnected scene where Patrick Stewart makes it very clear he's not coming back for a second series. (I would be really surprised if this 'they're going to use the robot body to recast Picard' theory is true. In real world terms, what sells the show is Patrick Stewart's star power, in the same way the Alien sequels had to come up with ways to be about Ripley.)

Sigh, what a waste. Still, looking forward to Soong morphing into Data/Lore/Brent Spiner's character from Night Court for no reason and a meaningless giant space battle next week.

• Upvote 3

And once again Seven is prevented from doing anything good. Yay, she has a Borg cube. Oh no, it's in bits. A shame, as it may have come in handy!

• Upvote 2

I enjoyed that.

Spoiler

Pretty sure Soong is either Lore, or Lore is based on this Soong.

3 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Reveal hidden contents

I do quite like the idea that soong did have a biological kid, and then just fucking sidelined him while spoiling his favorites.

:D We all know the occasional dysfunctional family like that.   

Also, my own theory:

Reveal hidden contents

If Picard is dying, what's the betting he somehow ends up in that synthetic body, allowing for a convenient recasting for future seasons?   

Picard dies and the ship gets called 'Picard' is my guess

• Upvote 3

Spoiler

They might just be hedging their bets in case Patrick isnt around for the next series. If hes up and about, great! If not, considering filming is probably on hold now, then they got get outs to finish the story.

That last episode was a mess of threads and strings that almost entirely added up to a thousand fuck alls.

Errrr

Spoiler

What was the reason to go to the Borg cube?  And why did the Borg cube even turn up?

Errrr

Spoiler

Are people mad at Dr. McKillmadox Face or not?  I genuinely can't tell.

Errrr

Spoiler

He's Romugone off somewhere presumably to tell the Romulans to attack the colony when they are going to attack the colony anyway.  I don't care anymore

It's turned onto piffle.

I'll give you that last one, but perhaps you weren't paying attention for the other two. 

Spoiler

They went to the Borg cube to see if Spagolas and Hugh had survived. They decided to all go together because Soji didn't want to split the group, and really wanted to see if Hugh was okay. 

As for Jurati, it's not that they're not mad, it's they're more understanding of her. It wasn't just a little warning she was shown by the blues sister, it was a powerful traumatic vision, shown in the previous episode to completely break some people's minds, and it transferred as a mind meld. It fucked Jurati up, and pretty much compelled her to kill Maddox. 

• Upvote 1

It's not discovery level terrible but it does feel like they could have compressed this whole series into a two parter.

• Upvote 2

That was possibly the worst episode in the run so far. Just everything about it was terrible. 

Sigh.

I thought that was terrible, and I'm not holding out much hope for the conclusion either. This show's had some really nice moments, but the problem with it being so serialised is that can only really be judged by the quality of the main story. 

I was defending some of the show's decisions earlier on, like the shift to a populist, racist Federation, but I was hoping the show would do something interesting with it. It hasn't at all, and it's just one way the show has taken something as special as the Star Trek universe and turned it into unrecognisable mush.

I really want to be pleasantly surprised next week. :(

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Bucky said:

He's Romugone off somewhere

That made me chuckle. Also, a Borg cube just lands on a planet like that, and no-one died, and the ship looks to be in one piece? :lol:

Its worth it for the RLM reviews for the comedy.

• Upvote 1

Why was Picard sitting by himself when the rest were having a sitrep? Why was gold Soji not at that meeting when it was clear she was one of the bosses?

This has turned out to be a whole load of half baked nothing, hasn't it? And now we probably have...

Spoiler

a boring massive space battle with those Romulan war ships to look forward to. I can barely contain my excitement. *snooze*

Borg cube has done.......bugger all. Other than somehow survive, intact and without anyone dying, planetfall (:lol: :facepalm:). What a waste of a plot device. In fact this wholse series has had lots of things that, in the past, would have been an episode of TNG/ToS, but here they're ignored, or just hand waved away in 10 seconds. Such potential. Wasted.

2 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Borg cube has done.......bugger all. Other than somehow survive, intact and without anyone dying, planetfall (:lol: :facepalm:). What a waste of a plot device. In fact this wholse series has had lots of things that, in the past, would have been an episode of TNG/ToS, but here they're ignored, or just hand waved away in 10 seconds. Such potential. Wasted.

They've shafted poor Seven. She was too late to save the Borg drones, too late to save more than a handful of the XBs and then she turns up in a cube with all that grand music and then it gets dragged down to the surface. A shame as it would have been rather handy with that armada of Warbirds turning up. Also, at what point between the Dominion War and their sun blowing up did they get the time to redesign and build that many new Warbirds?

14 minutes ago, Death's Head said:

Also, at what point between the Dominion War and their sun blowing up did they get the time to redesign and build that many new Warbirds?

They used the same contractor that the Emperor used in The Rise of Skywalker. I think they're called Fleets-U-Need

• Upvote 3

The Romulan Star Empire is massive. Fair enough they lost their home system and capital to a Supernova which would be disruptive, but that shouldnt have precipated a general collapse. You'd imagine the scheming Romulan would have plans for similar scenarios. 

There'd need to be a combination of factors to get there - internal unrest (possible given previous events seen in TNG), external threats (fair enough, we don't know what is happening at their far borders, and the Dominion War would have had an effect) and the Supernova. Perhaps there is a interesting story there. But the show is completely schizophrenic as to their portrayal. 

1 minute ago, kensei said:

The Romulan Star Empire is massive. Fair enough they lost their home system and capital to a Supernova which would be disruptive, but that shouldnt have precipated a general collapse. You'd imagine the scheming Romulan would have plans for similar scenarios. 

There'd need to be a combination of factors to get there - internal unrest (possible given previous events seen in TNG), external threats (fair enough, we don't know what is happening at their far borders, and the Dominion War would have had an effect) and the Supernova. Perhaps there is a interesting story there. But the show is completely schizophrenic as to their portrayal. 

Is they can just send that volume of ships at the drop of a hat why did they need the federations help evacuating their planet?

I'm not expecting an answer. It's just all so dumb.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, kensei said:

Apparently Chabon said that they wanted to put more information in regarding the state of The Federation and the Romulan Star Empire following the Dominion War, but were told that 'new viewers might not understand it.' Of course he didn't specify who told them that. Maybe one of the twenty-seven producers.  

• Upvote 2

Pretty much encapsulates the series 

Some nice moments and scenes - but so many stupid story beat/choices. The Cube stuff remaining the worst. 

The weirdest two for me

Soong just turning off the threat from last week 

Seven and IncestSisters fight. It’s meant to have weight as she killed Hugh...but we never saw Hugh/Seven interact so why are we meant to be invested?

• Upvote 1

Star Trek: Picard - Old man with no idea what he's doing anymore tries to save the galaxy, but ends up making people hate him.

Including the viewers.

I'm not holding out hope for the last episode after what you lot have said...

At least I can cancel my Amazon Prime trial after tonight, and not be billed for another month.