rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

If you think Mass Effect contains a single original concept you're going to shit when you discover the genre of 'science fiction'

I liked episode 8, it feels like lots of stuff the show has set up is paying off well. I don't think the structure of having a zillion subplots is sustainable for every episode, but it did at least mean the stuff that misfired (the ridiculous, Voyager-esque hologram japes) took up mercifully little screen time. Michael Chabon actually writes the characters with some depth (and jokes!). The massacre of the Borg drones was a good scene - something that would have been done with Data or Geordi reading from a sensor output in TNG, but impressive and more effective to actually see first hand. Even Romulan baddy lady managed to not completely suck for once - I guess she finally got the memo that this isn't Doctor Who.

The little Picard speech about optimism felt like a good gesture to fans who've been understandably irked by the whole grimdark corrupt Starfleet stuff, I just hope the remainder of the series follows through with that.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

If you think Mass Effect contains a single original concept you're going to shit when you discover the genre of 'science fiction'

Pithy, but also disingenuous. I certainly wasn’t arguing that, anyway. Very little is original in sci-fi anymore, but there’s a difference between unwittingly replicating older works, and sharing chunky similarities to a big gaming trilogy that only concluded eight years ago. 

• Upvote 4

Do directors/writers still think that 

Spoiler

A character's eyes turning black and a bit of synthy voice is scary

They could have gone for 

Spoiler

Implants coming alive and more merging with the ship's connectors.  They have the rating to do a nice level of body horror.  

So why are the Borg even in this?

Is it pure Hugh/Seven plot device, or something more?

It feels a bit weird that they are so prominent and yet so irrelevant to the story at this point although someone has explained to me that the Artefact work could have all been about trying to use time travel technology to undo the Romulan disaster.

I am wondering if the “big bad” that awoke all those thousands of years ago was The Borg?  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, sprite said:

So why are the Borg even in this?

Is it pure Hugh/Seven plot device, or something more?

It feels a bit weird that they are so prominent and yet so irrelevant to the story at this point although someone has explained to me that the Artefact work could have all been about trying to use time travel technology to undo the Romulan disaster.

I am wondering if the “big bad” that awoke all those thousands of years ago was The Borg?  

The Borg are probably still considered the most powerful race, despite Voyager's attempts at neutering them. Plus if the writers haven't watched all of TNG then they damn sure haven't seen much of VOY. 

The Borg would still be good box office to the public I think.

The conflation of the Borg and the Romulans might be a homage to the abandoned plans for TNG S1 and S2, but I might be giving them too much credit on that one.

To hazard a guess, I'd say the producers saw that Netflix stat about almost every Borg episode being in the top 10 most watched eps of any ST series and, given Picard and Seven are two of the most popular characters of the Next Gen era, things just progressed naturally from there.

Did I imagine it or did someone say some of the side material has Worf as the current captain of the Enterprise?

22 hours ago, Jg15 said:

Discovery set the bar for how established canon was going to be treated so it really is no surprise at how loose it seems on Picard.

I am eager to see how they depict the Klingon look in this era. Imagine Worf looking like a Discovery Klingon and the fan uproar. I have to imagine they will go with the Worf we are so used to seeing (that's if we even see Klingons at all in this series).

A still of Worf was on a viewscreen in one of the first episodes. He looked like normal, regular Worf.

8 wasn't so bad, still doesn't work with the swearing. Like someone doing a shit in the pool while you are swimming.

Spoiler

The 8 star system is a cool idea, the Borg died too easily however.

13 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

A still of Worf was on a viewscreen in one of the first episodes. He looked like normal, regular Worf.

I’m not sure that the different appearances are that much of a problem.

They’ve had Romulans with and without ridged foreheads in Picard so the Klingons could also have races looking very different. 

If your only experience of humans was NASA astronauts from the 60s and then you met groups of Japanese, African or Aboriginal people that’s similar levels of change. 

Granted, you have to exclude the TOS era Klingons from this as the same actors returned in DS9 looking very different.

There was a reason for the different Klingon appearanc e which was covered in Enterprise.

This is all an object lesson on why Star Trek needs to either stay dead or be given no-fucks-given carte blance to ignore canon.

• Upvote 1

Or, here's a thought, stop making series set inbetween past series! It fucks everything up.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

13 hours ago, Alex W. said:

This is all an object lesson on why Star Trek needs to either stay dead or be given no-fucks-given carte blance to ignore canon.

I don't think anyone would have a problem on this. (e.g. 2009 movie was largely "accepted" as a new take)

But when the series are reliant on past imagery, storybeats, characters, memberberries etc - and then in next breathe completely ignore it because they're lazy/bad writers - that's what people dislike. Attempts to have it both ways

Yep, this is why I think it would be best to have the next Trek mainstream show be set post TNG/DS9/Voy, say at least 50 or more years in the future. Go back to the exploration aspect of Trek, and have it set in another galaxy instead of a quadrant - this could be done using slipstream drive or transwarp tech or some such that has finally been created from Voyagers data from the Delta quadrant or something. The Andromeda galaxy has already been mentioned in past Trek, but never explored as it takes hundreds of years to reach.

• Upvote 2

Oh we're getting the future Period with Discovery. Michael Burnham is going to be the alpha and omega of the Star Trek universe.

8 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Oh we're getting the future Period with Discovery. Michael Burnham is going to be the alpha and omega of the Star Trek universe.

She’ll tie everything together by being Picard’s grandmother. 

3 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

The accents...Does the Scottish one sounds d as bad to Scots as the Irish one does to me?

I'm not Scottish but you don't have to even have met a Scotsman to know how bad that attempt  is. That and the Irish accents are just insulting. If he pulled off a Chinese accent anywhere near that badly it'd be racist.

On 15/03/2020 at 16:43, DeciderVT said:

hqdefault.jpg

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

Im so confused by this show. I think I like it, but the emergency hologram acting range and Rafi... Hnnnngg. 

There’s just no way Picard would have tolerated Rafi on his crew, surely?

It's funny thinking back to when Picard said it'd be unfair to call on his old crew, and few of us wanted a retread so we were pretty cool with that, but then every time that one's appeared since we've gone THIS IS OUR TREK!

Huh, I'd have been really happy with a defacto 8th season of TNG! 

I felt this episode fixed a few of the story glitches. The holograms all being versions of Rios because he picked the wrong install option was kind of hilarious. I guess he picked some dodgy language voices to differentiate them. And it turns out the Doctor woman got some concentrated burst of millenia old thought posion and it wasn't just a three second mind meld that totally convinced her. Similarly comedy villain Romulan woman is actually traumatised by the same so not as one dimensional. Raffi actually showed signs of being competent and not some soap opera reject.

Still many ridiculous aspects though. How the hells do we swallow the coincidence Picard end up on the same ship as the one guy in the whole damn universe who would recognise Soji/Jeanne?

A very odd show overall. But I am enjoying it.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

I'd forgotten how awesome the TNG theme is. :wub:

:quote:*Ahem*

• Upvote 4