rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

A pretty good episode I thought, and Raffi was pretty good in it, flexing her conspiracy and investigation muscles finally. Anyway, the explanation also wasnt terrible, and there is lore to back it up, even as far back as The Original Series (which had a load of really bad androids btw - bad as in nowhere near as advanced as Data).

Spoiler

The planet and its system was created some 2-300,000 years ago, and was created artificially. Who has the power to do that? Q? Why would he do all that? No, I dont think its Q. There are plenty of other beings out there that could do this, and not with god like powers either.

The Tkon Empire is one - they've been in Next Gen in one of the earlier episodes (The Last Outpost), however they were active 600,000 years ago, which puts them out of the equation, unless there were remnants or some other explanation.

I think (if the showrunners have thought this through) that the most likely race to have done this, however, is the Iconians, as the timeline fits better with their destruction 200,000 years ago.

Ancient texts called the Iconians "Demons of Air and Darkness", who were said to have the ability to appear at will on far-flung planets without the use of starships. This was later found to be a reference to the Iconians' gateway technology, whose instant teleportation allowed them to establish outposts at least as far as Vandros IV in the Gamma Quadrant. Until the discovery of Iconia in 2365, the Iconians were still dismissed by many as nothing more than myth.

Historically, the Iconians were generally described as a race of conquerors, though recently some scholars disputed this claim as a distortion perpetuated by species who feared and demonized their advanced technology, and eventually destroyed them. It was speculated that not all of the Iconians perished in the attacks, but rather used their gateways to escape to other worlds. Indeed, the similarity between the Iconian language and the later languages of Dewan, Dinasian, and Iccobar was cited as evidence of this theory.

Probably wont be delved into too deeply, if at all, but the Romulans must have found this planet after splitting from the Vulcans, and during their wanderings looking for a new home planet.

Commodore O is apparently half Romulan, half Vulcan btw, and Saavik from the original Star Trek films was supposed to be the same, but was never mentioned on screen. Saavik performed the Pon Farr with Spock, so why not have Oh do a mind meld? Vulcans doing one without consent? Its not like Spock hasnt also done one without consent -  He made Kirk forget a girl (admittedly an android, in one episode, and also got a bit mind rapey in Undiscovered Country with Valeris. Oh dear.

Anyway, it all came together well, apart from the Borg bit which felt a bit on the small side - more Romulans being killed would have been more satisfying, especially after what happened earlier. Maybe the Cube will show up later, though how Seven will know where to go is beyond me.

If it keeps like this now, then I might watch season 2, despite what I said earlier :lol:

• Upvote 1

Everyone seemed a bit more sparky this episode which was nice and we got some plot. Seven was

Spoiler

a bit useless though - she didn't manage to save a single Borg with all her dithering, nor take out a single Romulan. What a waste.

5 minutes ago, Death's Head said:

Everyone seemed a bit more sparky this episode which was nice and we got some plot. Seven was

Hide contents

a bit useless though - she didn't manage to save a single Borg with all her dithering, nor take out a single Romulan. What a waste.

You must have blinked and missed the bit where that actually happened then :P

Yeah like I said, it needed to be a longer scene or something. Only low of the episode I thought.

I rather get the sense they really struggle with the budget on this show. Whereas Discovery seems to have loads of budget to spend, Picard seems to be very short of money.  The reusing of the actor as all the holograms, the reusing of the vineyard set it just seems that everything is being done on a bit of shoestring. 

The more I think about it, the more I think it's the weakest episode

The 'secret' us ultimately underwhelming. It's not quite a rip off as Mass Effect - as Mass Effect was "A specific type of synth will come and destroy you" where this (seems to be) "Any Synthetic life will eventually turn and destroy you" (at least that's what the Beacons said, the debate on synthetic life changes over 3 games)

Everyone is connected. Oh, Rizzo, xB Romulan etc it just's shrinking the world.

Speaking of Raffi just happened to put Picard in contact with one of the minuscule number of people who've previously interacted with this synth planet? It's reach SW prequel levels of small scale story telling

Seven got to the cube and beamed on awfully easily - but then so did Elrond - compared to the fuss Picard had to do to get on and off.

Angnes has psychic blocks? Until she didn't...

Aunty Romulan broken the Borg cube because of how much she hated synths?

There's still some nice scenes (the 1 on 1 moments are normally good, and actors are clearly giving it all) but with it's storyline and storytelling problems it just ends up so much less than it's parts.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, McCoy said:

I rather get the sense they really struggle with the budget on this show. Whereas Discovery seems to have loads of budget to spend, Picard seems to be very short of money.  The reusing of the actor as all the holograms, the reusing of the vineyard set it just seems that everything is being done on a bit of shoestring. 

I got that sense too. In fairness the effects are excellent so I'm guessing they skimped on actual physical sets to allow for a bigger fx budget.

• Upvote 1

Yeah the small world stuff is pretty shite. again some nice bits, but stop with the convenient happenstance and secondary school storytelling please.

• Upvote 2

Just why the fuck have they employed an actor to do six parts with different accents when clearly he can only actually do 1.5 different accents. Just have him use his normal voice once you've laughed at his Scottish and Irish attempts. I couldn't get past that this episode. So bad.

• Upvote 3

It's just a means to prevent us getting confused as to which one is which. I can put up with it. The Scottish one was a major crime though.

Dumb Question

Why are the Zhat Vash keeping secret - if you get too far along Synthetic life, something comes to destory it.

I mean...just tell people? What does it need to be secret?

• Upvote 6

It was just so boring. My brain switched off as soon as the Captain had the reaction to seeing Soji and realised they were going to string it out over the whole episode. 

The seven scenes looked out of place. They looked as if they were shoehorned in at the last minute after securing a better contract for Jeri Ryan and realised, no matter how good the Hugh actor was the Romulan ninja didn't have the warrior screen presence of Worf. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

Dumb Question

Reveal hidden contents

Why are the Zhat Vash keeping secret - if you get too far along Synthetic life, something comes to destory it.

I mean...just tell people? What does it need to be secret?

Indeed. You’d be telling as many people, as loudly, as possible. The Romulans always struck me as pragmatic, at least until now. Far more powerful empires than theirs, with greater resources, wouldn’t be able to police the entire fucking universe. It has to be a combined effort by many different races to stand any chance of success. 

The whole android thing is a bit duff. I'd rather the show be an adventure in how to bring Data back as a synthetic.

Androids killing their creators was done way back in The Original Series, in the episode "What Are Little Girls Made Of?", and while basic for its time, had some good ideas. An entire series though?

Will see how this ends, but it needs more than Romulans saying Androids bad and having them blow up Mars etc.

Is not

Andriods killing creators is it?

I thought it was if synthetic life gets too advanced - something comes along to bitch slap you.

I thought that’s what the Threshold was about

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Just why the fuck have they employed an actor to do six parts with different accents when clearly he can only actually do 1.5 different accents. Just have him use his normal voice once you've laughed at his Scottish and Irish attempts. I couldn't get past that this episode. So bad.

I ken what you mean

edit - I actually didn't mind this episode, with the exception of the awful accents and group therapy session.

• Empathy 1

Hexx is right. It's not an interpretation, that's literally what's explained in the episode.

I also thought the reveal was dumb. As a plot point in of itself it's fine, if obviously derivative, but why keep it a secret? 

Even people who have devoted their life's work to developing synthetic life seem ready to drop everything and kill their mentors on learning the truth. I guess the only weak reason is that people seemingly tend to go insane when experiencing the vision itself, but maybe just don't keep showing it to people?

Speaking of which, that must be some vision. I hope they never try and reveal exactly what it shows, because it's never going to something so powerful it could make people immediately suicidal.

Otherwise the episode was alright, and I liked Picard's speech. If only his optimism was reflected in the show itself.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Hexx is right. It's not an interpretation, that's literally what's explained in the episode.

Hide contents

Evenpeople who have devoted their life's work to developing synthetic life seem ready to drop everything and kill their mentors on learning the truth. I guess the only weak reason is that people seemingly tend to go insane when experiencing the vision itself, but maybe just don't keep showing it to people?

Speaking of which, that must be some vision. I hope they never try and reveal exactly what it shows, because it's never going to something so powerful it could make people immediately suicidal.

I went back and looked - 44.15

’If you cross that line, someone shows up’

’someone bad’

They liken it to developing warp drives and attracting attention

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Hexx said:

Is not

Hide contents

Andriods killing creators is it?

I thought it was if synthetic life gets too advanced - something comes along to bitch slap you.

I thought that’s what the Threshold was about

Spoiler

Cylons!

Well, not really. But we're in that territory...

The "Something comes along to bitch slap you" is always some form of android or synthetic life, so its the same thing.

Romulans themselves dont seem to have created synthetic life, so it seems really weird what they're doing to be honest, which is the major flaw in the show I find.

Edit: Unless this is shown later to be that the Romulans are just another puppet for some other big bad of course.

5 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

The "Something comes along to bitch slap you" is always some form of android or synthetic life, so its the same thing.

Not really. "Androids killing its creators" is the Geth rebelling against the Quarians. "Something comes along to bitch slap you" is the Reapers showing up from Dark Space and wiping out all life in the galaxy.

And who's to say it's synths that show up in this case anyway?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Not really. "Androids killing its creators" is the Geth rebelling against the Quarians. "Something comes along to bitch slap you" is the Reapers showing up from Dark Space and wiping out all life in the galaxy.

And who's to say it's synths that show up in this case anyway?

That's what its always been in past Trek concerning androids (apart from Data), and including the epsiode I posted earlier from ToS. What I find baffling, is why the Romulans never bothered with Data.

Anyway, the Tkon Empire and the Iconians were insanely powerful, yet both got wiped out it seems, but not by androids, or at least its never been mentioned it was by androids. The latters technology is still around, as shown in DS9 (the clip I posted earlier in the thread, concerning the Borg queens teleporter).

There also may be some big bad controlling the Romulans that they havent revealed yet, as at the moment the Romulans are behaving quite oddly for a race not having had the experience of creating androids of their own.