rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

I've just remembered what the Elnor scene reminded me off - the suicide squad at the end of Life Of Brian, who kill themselves anyway even though all the Romans run off! It's like "I signed up for a hopeless cause dammit, I don't want to get away!"

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GC Zombie said:

EP7 - Overwhelmingly great. The teaser for EP8 looks hype. I think we're past the mid season lul!

Like the last episode there were a couple of moments that didn't make a lot of sense, but I'm happy to hand wave those away as it was mostly a great episode.

Reveal hidden contents

Picard reuniting with Riker and Troi was lovely. It brought a tear to this old cynics eye.

The bit at the start with(out) space Legolas was daft. Was he on the toilet when the drones were getting shot?

I think it was the best episode of the season - you have to ignore all the nonsense back on the artifact - but most of it comes down letting characters take stock/reaction/discuss what's happening and the impact - while moving events along

So Oh really is a Vulcan if she can mind meld....a secret Romulan couldn't do that right? Not sure I buy the "vision" (or was it a prediction?) would be enough to change Juranti's entire approach to life, but at least it wasn't WE MADE THE BORG people expected.

They have to make sure Rizzo(Rizza?) is evil - but they risk going OTT on it. I don't get why Elrond exists since he seems to add little to the plot 70% of way through the season...and casually offing Hugh feels like a waste, and makes his return more a play on nostalgia rather than a necessary story beat

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

The stuff with the Riker-Troi family was very sweet (and nice that their daughter is named Kendra), but having the location of Soji's home planet revealed by an off-screen blowhard was ridiculous, really. For the first time this series, the returning characters actually serve a purpose beyond advancing the plot, and the Troi / Picard, Troi / Soji and Riker / Picard scenes were great character moments.

Riker eats rabbit sausage now? So much for "we no longer enslave animals for food". I don't think Federation society changing is a bad thing but doing loads of fan service and returning characters on one hand and ignoring continuity on the other is a weird choice (see also the Romulans going from being as interested in cybernetics as the next race in TNG to being deathly fearful of them now).

As @GC Zombie said upthread, where the hell was Space Legolas when the drones were being killed? Plus, Hugh being killed is the latest in this series' poor plotting - bring people in for precisely long enough to advance the story, then kill them.

The whole thing continues to feel empty and extremely generic, which is a terrible shame. But I'm in this deep, so let's see how the last three episodes go. I never thought that they'd bring back Picard and put him in Blake's 7 (only not as good), but here we are.

Unpopular opinion - for all its flaws (and they were legion) Discovery was better drama than this is turning out to be.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I've just remembered what the Elnor scene reminded me off - the suicide squad at the end of Life Of Brian, who kill themselves anyway even though all the Romans run off! It's like "I signed up for a hopeless cause dammit, I don't want to get away!"

I said as much in an earlier post, it's Monty Python played straight. :)

That was the best Trek I've seen in years. It pressed all the buttons. A fan edit to tighten up and remove the chaff from the episodes leading up to this one would be amazing. 

It put me in mind of Kirk, Spock and McCoy round the campfire at the start of the Final Frontier. A lot of warmth. :wub:

Spoiler

There were some silly bits.

They should have condensed the Elnor and Hugh scenes, perhaps have Elnor not quite make it in time to save Hugh in the same scene as then interrogation instead of spreading it out.

The cake scene as well. I feel they should have had Raffi take Agnes to Sickbay for a sedative and have Agnes whip the hypo-spray up whilst Raffi was busy preparing it. 

FFUUUUUUCKING HELL!  Stop hyping this episode up! You're all setting me up for disappointment, you bastards! :lol:

1 hour ago, Barnard said:

That was the best Trek I've seen in years. It pressed all the buttons. A fan edit to tighten up and remove the chaff from the episodes leading up to this one would be amazing. 

It put me in mind of Kirk, Spock and McCoy round the campfire at the start of the Final Frontier. A lot of warmth. :wub:

Reveal hidden contents

There were some silly bits.

They should have condensed the Elnor and Hugh scenes, perhaps have Elnor not quite make it in time to save Hugh in the same scene as then interrogation instead of spreading it out.

The cake scene as well. I feel they should have had Raffi take Agnes to Sickbay for a sedative and have Agnes whip the hypo-spray up whilst Raffi was busy preparing it. 

Agreed. Excellent episode. Did you watch the trailer for next week? Holy shit. Driving it like they stole it. Is this series 8 or 10 episodes?

Aye, loved that. Did I spot one or two Enterprise nods? 

Spoiler

"We've had trouble with Xindi", is that what Riker said? 

And also the silicon based virus/illness that afflicted their son. 

Also, the best part of the entire series so far was in tonight's episode. 

Spoiler

Troi reacting to the realisation that Picard's illness has sadly progressed, and Picard reacting in kind. No words, just reactions from two actors who know each other and their characters inside out. A textbook display of "show, don't tell". 

• Upvote 9

Silly Borg/Romulan stuff aside, that was pretty sweet. :wub: 

The characters felt authentic. When Troi was telling Picard how Soji was feeling, and doing her counselor thing, it was almost like I was watching an episode of TNG again. There were nice moments between all of them, and it had a relaxed pace.

I feel this will all go to shit next week as they ramp up the action and plot. They can't seem to do good plotting, which is probably why this episode worked so well - it didn't really have any.

So, like, the Vulcan Commodore can see into the future now? That bit seemed depressingly Discovery-esque. ie. super schlocky.

Also, poor Hugh. Stop killing the good Borgs, you bastard writers. :(

Minus points for the "ex-Starfleet officers retiring to wood cabins and cooking" cliché. Minus more points for lazy "humans still kill things and eat their flesh 300 years in the future" lack of imagination.

This was a weird combination of the best and worst writing in the series so far. Obviously, it was lovely to see certain people return, but the plot holes and contrivances are getting breathtakingly lazy, and from the perspective of an amateur writer who tries hard to avoid anything similar, really annoyed me. 

Picard feels like a first draft. From killing off characters whom you’ve barely gotten to know, to try and generate stakes, to gems like finding the location of Soji’s home-world. That was the kind of thing a writer would put in, on a bad day, when they were stuck and wanted to keep up the momentum. There would be a big [FLESH THIS OUT/REPLACE LATER] marked up next to it, because otherwise you’re into my first story territory of ‘we visited X, who happened to know Y, who knew how to find Z!’ when there’s no logical reason for a reader to suspect that’d ever be the case. That someone actually got paid to come up with it is like a cheese-grater on my soul. 

Not to mention the supposedly gifted, yet bafflingly stupid, Dr Jurati...

So the Commodore mind-melds to show her...future events? And her first reaction is ‘oh god! Yes, I’ll help you!’ rather than ‘hang on. How did you even observe this? How do I know you’re not just feeding me a series of prepared visions? This is all highly fucking suspect!’

But, I guess the characters are as smart or stupid as the plot needs them to be, because momentum.

• Upvote 5

Hmm. One decent episode does not make the series good I'm afraid. Also

Spoiler

killing off all the TNG characters seems a thing - Icheb, Maddox now Hugh. Would not surprise me to see Rikers planet blow up next episode....

The "vision" seems a fake btw:

CyCZOC.gif

It has Commodore O in it, which just seems weird - why give a vision to someone that includes yourself in it? If it is fake, and Romulans cant somehow now do mindmelds (honestly nothing surprises me anymore about current Trek), then it may be a fake made to pass off as real and even the Commodore has been fooled (if Romulans can do mindmelds, then its obvious the Commodore isnt Vulcan, duh).

The agnes stuff was a bit cringey too, especially with Riios' stupidity, thinking it was Raffi thats the mole :facepalm:

And Elrond being stuck on the stupid cube of course was just a massive waste of time, as now they'll have to go back and rescue him, somehow, which will probably be another episode in itself. The EMH magically popping up was just the icing on the cake - plot needs him to be there now, of course.

Can anyone other than CBS/Kurtzman take over Trek please?!?

To be fair, the EMH has been shown to appear whenever somebody's lifesigns are irregular, which presumably means the sickbay is constantly scanning everybody.

I love how the name Elrond has stuck. :D

43 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

I love how the name Elrond has stuck. :D

Excuse me, I think you'll find his name is Space Legolas. :quote:

22 hours ago, readonly said:
  Hide contents

Riker eats rabbit sausage now? So much for "we no longer enslave animals for food".

That obviously refers to farming livestock, which is not what was happening in this episode.

Yeah, its caught game, which has been done in other episodes. Hell, even Spock has eaten meat in an episode of the ToS - admittedly when no other food was available, so he'd starve.

Fair enough! Actually, I'm sure TOS fans in 1987 were making similar complaints about TNG.

10 hours ago, Nick R said:

Excuse me, I think you'll find his name is Space Legolas. :quote:

Space Windu...

I think that was the most enjoyable episode this season. Evil Romulan Sister is still terrible though. A total pantomime villain.

How fucking long did that pizza take to cook? It was dark by the time they sat down to eat.

• Upvote 1

Awesome episode, just what I wanted going into this series.

On 05/03/2020 at 15:54, readonly said:
  Hide contents

The whole thing continues to feel empty

Empty? I would happily watch 10 hours of:

Picard and Riker. I was nearly in tears at how fucking lovely it was to see them together again.

• Upvote 6

Yeah, the reunion stuff was just excellent.  Right in the feels.  I love Frakes' voice 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, deKay said:

How fucking long did that pizza take to cook? It was dark by the time they sat down to eat.

they had to make more because the first lot got burnt.

On 06/03/2020 at 00:04, Thor said:

Aye, loved that. Did I spot one or two Enterprise nods? 

Hide contents

"We've had trouble with Xindi", is that what Riker said? 

Nope, he actually said Kzinti, a cat like people who have only appeared in the old 70's Animated Trek and who are actually a creation of Sci Fi Author Larry Niven. It was a cool reference and one I certainly wasn't expecting (for license reasons).

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Kzinti?mobile-app=false

I also really enjoyed this episode, it's amazing what nostalgia factor can do for a show (I am also warming to Rios and the crew a little bit now).