rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

15 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Having played Star Trek Online, they did a far better job explaining (imagine that, a video game company doing a better job than CBS/Paramount) that central government was evacuated along with most of their civilians/workers etc. to another planet and formed the Romulan Republic, and due to a lot of the original government being killed off etc in Shinzons coup, they were far more open to Federation assistance (yes, the Federation actually assists them unlike in Picard :facepalm:) and even trade with the Klingons. They still only allow the Federation cloaking technology on a case by case basis, such as in DS9 with the Defiant though.

Picard makes it look like the supernova crippled the Romulans and they're now outcasts/refugees living on scraps around the galaxy. Its rubbish.

It is strange.  Whatever happened with the planet the Romulans seemingly had a very big fleet of ships.  Surely these would still be in action and operational making them a significant military force.  It is not like any of the ships would have been destroyed in the supernova. 

That ST:Online plotline sounds a lot better. Romulans working more with the Federation due to diminished influence makes sense (and it’s something that would be seized upon. Look at how quickly Starfleet was sending Riker back after Nemesis to keep diplomatic channels open.) Unfortunately, they had to take it to illogical extremes because dark. 

What you have to remember is that J.J. Abrams has no idea how space (or pretty much any aspect of science) works. The supernova originally destroyed the entire empire for reasons. They retconned that to just the star system that Romulus was in.

Oh god, I forgot the stupid "disguise" altogether in all the daftness of it all. Maybe that party planet doesnt get good TV reception? :facepalm:

Yeah this is pretty bad isnt it :( Discovery completly fizzled for me , I doubt Ill continue watching this either.

I watched all of Discovery S2 last week. The first 5 episodes with Tilly and the spore drive belong straight in the bin, some of the worst stuff I've seen yet they just seem to start fresh after that. Tilly practically vanishes and the real show begins which was enjoyable enough to watch.  Pike was good and I'm really excited at the thought of a new show with him just around the corner. Proper Trek!

12 hours ago, Spacehost said:

I’ve been forcing myself to watch this. I made it through most of the party planet where the most famous admiral in Star Fleet who was literally on TV a week ago and made all the news puts on a silly accent and an eye patch and it almost killed me, I had to stop.

They probably have a lot more channels out there, so she probably wasn't that keen on watching Space Fox News.

At least the timing of it's demise is good, I've cancelled prime and was able to get a refund, so 5 episodes of this and series 4 of the expanse for free isn't bad.

Spoiler

Turgid. 

If they'd set Discovery during the same timeframe as Picard this story would have a made a great guest star filled 3 part crossover event. 

It really feels like a three part story spread over too many episodes. And  there are still four more to go. 

12 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

But they had no idea Picard was going ahead when Discovery was in the planning stages.

Very true. 

I don't like to think about the planning of Discovery. I feel it closed a lot of doors when they decided it should be set 10 years before the TOS.

• Upvote 1

With the Pike show and removing Discovery from the timeline I'm starting to get the impression the show will be binned before long. There's a lot of grumbling behind the scenes about Section 31 not going ahead as Michelle Yeoh isn't happy so will have to see.

14 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

With the Pike show and removing Discovery from the timeline I'm starting to get the impression the show will be binned before long. There's a lot of grumbling behind the scenes about Section 31 not going ahead as Michelle Yeoh isn't happy so will have to see.

Finally some good news

• Upvote 8

I dunno why CBS/Paramount etc were never willing to go into future Trek, like post Voyager/Nemesis. Its weird, and feels like a really stupid decision to be stuck in the past when we've had so many shows/films set there already. I think thats what the majority of fans want as well, yet the big wigs at the top dont seem to get it.

Also setting it post Nemesis/Voyager means there's less chance of them fucking up Star Trek continuity of course. Fucking idiots :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

I dunno why CBS/Paramount etc were never willing to go into future Trek, like post Voyager/Nemesis. Its weird, and feels like a really stupid decision to be stuck in the past when we've had so many shows/films set there already. I think thats what the majority of fans want as well, yet the big wigs at the top dont seem to get it.

Also setting it post Nemesis/Voyager means there's less chance of them fucking up Star Trek continuity of course. Fucking idiots :facepalm:

Presumably for the same reason the reboot films had to star Kirk and Spock instead of a new crew. They're scared that if Spock isn't in it people won't bother watching.

What annoys me is the pandering to fans. Disco season one aired and Twitter went mad with folk saying section 31 were great...so they announced their own series. Season two aired and Twitter went mad with folk saying Pike was great...etc. Presumably stupid sexy bearded Romulan guy from Picard will be getting his own series next.

Just come up with a decent original fucking concept please.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Presumably stupid sexy bearded Romulan guy from Picard will be getting his own series next.

Is Twitter raving about creepy incest guy?

Love it or hate it - one thing you can't say this week is that nothing happens/the plot doesn't move :P

Just now, Hexx said:

Is Twitter raving about creepy incest guy?

Love it or hate it - one thing you can't say this week is that nothing happens/the plot doesn't move :P

No idea, was just being facetious. Wouldn't surprise me though. There's a substantial group of people over there who militantly won't hear a bad word said about any of the new series. They're just as bad as miserable cunts like me who have nothing positive to say.

Except I'm right and they're wrong.

• Upvote 2

On 24/02/2020 at 18:05, Harsin said:

The entire point of the Borg and the cube was that it was something that completely outside normal Trek races' frame of reference (a bit of an outside context problem for any Iain M. Banks fans).

Amen. Banks’s outside context problem paragraph really needs quoting:

"An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop."

:wub:  What a loss. :(

• Upvote 6

21 hours ago, Spacehost said:

I’ve been forcing myself to watch this. I made it through most of the party planet where the most famous admiral in Star Fleet who was literally on TV a week ago and made all the news puts on a silly accent and an eye patch and it almost killed me, I had to stop.

I don’t think I’ve seen a show go from promising to outright bad so fast. It’s like someone dropped a ramp and a shark tank in front of Patrick Stewart as he was rolling down hill in his wheelchair, and four episodes in he’s just launched clean over the shark and is going to land in a dumpster.

Maybe we've been expecting different things from this show but watching Patrick Stewart go in to no-fucks-given giant ham mode entirely justified this show's existence for me. If giant media conglomerates want to throw millions of dollars away on meme material that's given away on Amazon Prime I say we should encourage them.

• Upvote 2

Okay so it wasn't perfect and there was a few questionable decisions and coincidental shit in this episode, but it wasn't that bad. the bits with Rafi could have been lifted out of coronation stret.

• Upvote 3

I really enjoyed that. If it can keep up this pace we can put episodes 4 and 5 down as an misstep. 

Really good stuff, Picard acting like Picard and a good bolt of story. 

Also, if it helps Amazon seems to release the episodes at 11pm each Thursday. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Also, if it helps Amazon seems to release the episodes at 11pm each Thursday. 

Aye, I noticed that too. :)

Oh ffs. The Romulans are definitely going to be heavily involved with, if not be the creators of, the Borg, especially after that revelation they can treat borg implants better than anyone else. It still amuses me that Picard retained no visible Borg implants, yet Seven was stuck with loads, as well as Hugh and practically every other Ex-Borg that we've seen in Star Trek. I guess being a main cast member makes one immune to that sort of thing :lol:

Episode was alright I suppose, although that bit where Raffi says they'd recognise Picard because he was on the news/is the face of the Federation made me roll my eyes - did they forget the last episode already?!? :facepalm:

Dahj could've been one of Data's daughters and Jurati the other, where instead of being identical twins they were each modelled on a real person. Not that I think they've done that, but the thought occurred. It'd make Soji and the other Jurati human.

4 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Oh ffs. The Romulans are definitely going to be heavily involved with, if not be the creators of, the Borg, especially after that revelation they can treat borg implants better than anyone else. It still amuses me that Picard retained no visible Borg implants, yet Seven was stuck with loads, as well as Hugh and practically every other Ex-Borg that we've seen in Star Trek. I guess being a main cast member makes one immune to that sort of thing :lol:

Except, and I know this is a bit hand wavey, he was only a Borg for a few hours so maybe it was easier to remove than from someone who had been for years.

(Yes, I’ve seen ST FC, yes I know the crew were assimilated in seconds and had to be shot, oh dear God, I’ve been drawn into a rabbit hole argument  :facepalm:

On 26/02/2020 at 11:17, Garibaldi said:

That ST:Online plotline sounds a lot better. Romulans working more with the Federation due to diminished influence makes sense (and it’s something that would be seized upon. Look at how quickly Starfleet was sending Riker back after Nemesis to keep diplomatic channels open.) Unfortunately, they had to take it to illogical extremes because dark. 

• Upvote 1