rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

30 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Those were clearly "take the piss" and "have fun" episodes. They all still have an ST vibe about them - exploration, encountering unknowns and dealing with them.

Picard is just... crap

That episode in particular tackles nothing about those themes, it's just Q playing games. No fun allowed in Picard, though.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

Hardly 18 rated. A strong 12 maybe. 

There is no way that would be shown in a 12/PG-13 film under the current rules!

Spoiler

12 cert films that have eye injury stuff either imply everything or make it really cartoonish (Minority Report, Avengers, Dark Knight). Higher certificates are allowed to show either the actions (John Wick 3) or the results (League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse) in more detail.

It's the difference between the eye crushing in the 15-cert Blade Runner (which I still can't look at!), and the one in the 12-cert SPECTRE.

Edit: The BBFC gave it a 15 for "strong injury detail": https://bbfc.co.uk/releases/star-trek-picard-vod-3

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Darwock said:

I'm enjoying it, but this doesn't feel like Jean-Luc Picard at all really - a lot of the humour from TNG was based on how stiff and awkward he was, so that turn as a French pirate just didn't seem like the same character. Unless we're expected to think he's gone a bit dotty as well as frail. It's more like Patrick Stewart having a laugh, which is also welcome in a different way I suppose.

I can't remember anything about who Maddox is and I didn't watch enough Voyager to get who that was in the opening scene so i'm feeling a bit left out of this, despite being a big TNG fan when it was still on TV (and for several years of 6pm repeats afterwards).

I feel the same - 7 of 9 too. These characters don’t really behave or react like the characters we know. Some may say that a lot of time has passed, people change over time - and that’s true, but they still need to be anchored in who they were to be believable as who they are now. 

Having a rag-tag crew who are strangers to each other only works when the dialogue is snappy and the actors have chemistry and these guys just aren’t much fun to watch, unfortunately. 

The show started off promising enough but it’s meandering off on boring tangents with little to say. 

I binged all of these last night, still overall enjoying and curious to see where this goes unlike discovery which I totally lost interest in.

Agree with wedged in swearing and gore which doesn't seem necessary but still decent TV overall.

• Upvote 4

I quite enjoyed the episode. :ph34r:

I think as long as The Orville exists I don't really mind Star Trek going in the direction it is. I thought this was a lot better than last week's episode, and still a million times better than Discovery.

10 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

its not very star trekky, is it.

When 7 of 9 was all "I want Picard to still have hope" I was like "what about the audience?" :(

• Upvote 7

The themes of the show are interesting, the problem for me is that it's just not very well written. Changing the characters in an unrealistic way to suit the situation is a pure EastEnders move.

• Upvote 4

One exchange I found interesting:

Spoiler

When Picard admitted that he never felt like he'd fully recovered his humanity after being assimilated. It'll go nowhere in this series but it was intriguing to hear him almost accepting it.

I really like this still. Maybe I’m just easily pleased. Maybe I’m just relieved it’s not another Discovery. Maybe I like Trek actually trying something a bit different. But whatever, I think it’s great. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Nick R said:

There is no way that would be shown in a 12/PG-13 film under the current rules!

Reveal hidden contents

12 cert films that have eye injury stuff either imply everything or make it really cartoonish (Minority Report, Avengers, Dark Knight). Higher certificates are allowed to show either the actions (John Wick 3) or the results (League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse) in more detail.

It's the difference between the eye crushing in the 15-cert Blade Runner (which I still can't look at!), and the one in the 12-cert SPECTRE.

Edit: The BBFC gave it a 15 for "strong injury detail": https://bbfc.co.uk/releases/star-trek-picard-vod-3

No you are quite right.   I was just thinking back to the 80s and the kind of films I was watching, then I realised they were often 18s.

Certainly most trek was easily PG at it's edgiest.

23 hours ago, cubik said:

For someone with a French name, who was born in France to French parents and lives on a vineyard in rural France, his attempt at a French accent was extremely ropey.

Other than that I enjoyed it, especially the progression for Raffi's character.

22 hours ago, Darwock said:

I'm enjoying it, but this doesn't feel like Jean-Luc Picard at all really - a lot of the humour from TNG was based on how stiff and awkward he was, so that turn as a French pirate just didn't seem like the same character.

I took the accent thing as a very deliberate goof given the background of the character, but also the only time Picard wasnt stiff was when he was playing a character iirc. Granted, that would usually be on a holodeck rather than in person, but either way I seem to remember he usually threw himself into it as much as anyone (except maybe Riker).

Also, I actually found 7s new direction kinda made sense. Back on Voyager the whole ex-borg thing meant she was usually really pragmatic and direct with regards to finding solutions to problems. Exactly how media usually portrays your typical frontier vigilante. If anything it might have been more interesting to see that without the added revenge motive, but whatever, I can see a throughline between the old character and the new based on that. Although of course now I just want to know what Janeway is up to....

4 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

No you are quite right.   I was just thinking back to the 80s and the kind of films I was watching, then I realised they were often 18s.

Certainly most trek was easily PG at it's edgiest.

I seem to remember DS9 having some 12 rated episodes. The one that comes to mind for me was the one where Garak turns serial killer and hangs the bodies of O'Brien's engineering crew on the promenade of that deserted sister station to DS9.

On the topic of Picard, it is better than Discovery, but it isn't living up to my vaulted expectations. I know Patrick Stewart is old but he definitely feels off his game, this episode even more so. This rag tag crew isn't growing on me as yet either, they feel too cobbled together and angsty, especially mystery pilot man.

I’m OK with everyone on the crew apart from Space Legolas. Raffi’s OK, New Tilly seems to at least be key to the plot and I thought Rios was bordering on Actually Quite Good this week. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jg15 said:

I seem to remember DS9 having some 12 rated episodes. The one that comes to mind for me was the one where Garak turns serial killer and hangs the bodies of O'Brien's engineering crew on the promenade of that deserted sister station to DS9.

On the topic of Picard, it is better than Discovery, but it isn't living up to my vaulted expectations. I know Patrick Stewart is old but he definitely feels off his game, this episode even more so. This rag tag crew isn't growing on me as yet either, they feel too cobbled together and angsty, especially mystery pilot man.

Im watching DS9 on Netflix and it seems to carry a 15 rating. Empok Nor as you point out was definitely one of those, I had the VHS :D 

Calling it now.  Raffi's set back with her son causes her to start her addiction again.  Leading to a crisis incident that she mucks up thanks to said addiction.

• Upvote 2

On 22/02/2020 at 14:47, Sarlaccfood said:

But ruined instantly as others have said with a shoehorned edgelord “damn”.

Could have been worse. Could have been "every fucking day."

• Upvote 1

Well, I’ve been behind this so far, admittedly it’s been on a downward trend since the genuinely excellent opener, but there was something interesting and entertaining in each one.

But Ep 5 was shite all ways up. So bad I doubt 10 minutes of Borg cube sock skating in the middle of it would have made it worse.

Just too much bad to detail, but: the entire Vajazzle Troi plot; Raffi’s son’s shite acting; zee eyepatch scenes; dual wielding; every damn day; the naff sub-Oasis hologram resort; the cheap-ass sets; the sub-Bab 5 Zocalo nightclub; the shit olfactory lizard alien; the edgelord gore; pointless space Legolas; the shit security ladies.

It just seriously honked. Onwards and upwards hopefully.

• Upvote 2

Am I the only one that think Patrick Stewart is playing Picard like his character from American Dad? 

Well I enjoyed it. And that’s all that matters (to me).

• Upvote 4

Yeah, but with Alex Kurtzman in charge, this is the best Trek we'll get.

They better not say the Romulans created the Borg! If they do that, then I'm out. That would be fucking garbage.

1 minute ago, Mr Ben said:

Yeah, but with Alex Kurtzman in charge, this is the best Trek we'll get.

They better not say the Romulans created the Borg! If they do that, then I'm out. That would be fucking garbage.

hold on to your pants! that's what i see happening.

• Upvote 1