rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

Maybe he'll finally meet up with her at the end of season 1.

Its really slow going atm, with additional stuff being added each episode and then having to be explained rather than focussing on the main plot point. World building which, if TNG era Trek hadnt been canned, shouldnt have needed to be done.

In fact, if Nemesis hadnt have bombed I suspect Data would have been brought back in the next film or whatever, far quicker than I suspect he will in this series.

3 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

All of these complaints are dogshit. I'm not digging the series too much either but you're just whining like a sad bullshit artist. It's not "lazy, lazy writing" to have a flawed, broken character who is in denial about their situation, they are clearly an addict who's fallen on bad times due to a combination of factors. A post-scarcity society doesn't automatically mean no one has any problems anymore.

Do a proper critique that actually thinks about what you're trying to say and raises relevant points or don't bother posting at all.

No you do a proper critique you clown. I'm not your personal tv reviewer.

• Upvote 7

50 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

In fact, if Nemesis hadnt have bombed I suspect Data would have been brought back in the next film or whatever, far quicker than I suspect he will in this series.

Will he come back? Don't get the impression the actor wants to do a full series or more than he did for a guest appearance. Getting on in years so putting all that makeup on constantly will be a huge problem for him, it certainly was back then and it's not like he needs to star in anything.

At the time of Nemesis he was already saying he was getting too old to realistically play Data and something needed to happen with him. 

Data is alive and well in the comic series that came out prior to Star Trek (the JJ Abrams one), and was considered canon prior to Picard. Data was captaining the Enterprise of all vessels, and was using B4's body, modified with help from Geordi, and the Daystrom Institute, likely including Bruce Maddox. This has, of course, now been retconned by Picard. Even Star Trek Online had adopted the comic's storyline and added it to its lore that Data was the current captain of the Enterprise, etc.

Spiner has done an interview about returning (though from the same interview its fairly clear he will be in it more than the times we've seen him so far): https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/brent-spiner-on-data-return-in-star-trek-picard

"It was definitely important that we didn’t do anything that would undermine anything that had been done before. But I think, when you see the whole season … I can’t say anything else," Spiner told SYFY WIRE at the show's red-carpet premiere before becoming particularly tight-lipped.

There is no reason for Data to not be made into a human type android at some point, as we have seen this is now possible in the series. There's the answer to all that makeup, prosthetics etc - its no longer needed, just do a Data impression and Spiner's golden.

And on the subject of season 2, this is from that same article:

"I think by the end of this season, people are gonna step away and feel like, ‘Wow, this is a family I really wanna watch’ and 'Where do we go from here?'" Kadin said. "I think, as you kind of get from the pilot, Picard has to assemble a new crew. He has to make a whole new bridge crew family, and so where do we go from there is really where our jumping-off point is for Season 2."

So yeah, season 1 seems to be a "gather the crew! season, and I suspect it will pull a Witcher, and we'll only have Picard and Co. meet up with Soji on the Borg cube in the last episode.

5 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Do a proper critique that actually thinks about what you're trying to say and raises relevant points or don't bother posting at all.

That's out of order. If you want to critically discuss the points raised, you're perfectly entitled to do that, but spitting venom at any member who has taken the time to write out their thoughts, will only discourage other members from posting.

You can be critical, without being disrespectful.

• Upvote 8

maybe this will all turn out to be just Picard in his bed at the end with visions brought on by his Irumodic Syndrome and we can breath a sad sign of relief

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

alone in a huge giant borg ship full of marvels... I know, let’s go slide in our socks down a corridor.... weeeeeeeee!

what the actual fuck?

At least it could have been some sort of space/ future based fun. Anti gravity or if that's too expensive, I dunno, a big Borg extraction chute that's basically a slide. Sliding in your socks is just stupid, even if the intention of the scene (win her over with some fun activity to get the info on THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS (TM) ) is an understandable plot point, it's just weak. 

Even a scene of flying through the Borg cube tunnels would have been better. The suggestion that it's something so simple and "retro" to them, which is why it works, is daft. Is he going to get a hoop and stick out on their next date?

On 15/02/2020 at 08:41, monkeydog said:

I fell asleep during episode 4.  I didn't think I was that tired. My bordom threshold seems to lower with age.

I’ve fallen asleep watching every episode of this so far. OK, I am generally watching them after 10pm when I probably am too tired to concentrate, but doesn’t normally happen with other stuff I watch. 

Took me about four attempts to make it through episode 2. I actually think this could end up being worse than Discovery, which is a sentence I never thought I’d write. 

• Empathy 1

3 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

There is no reason for Data to not be made into a human type android at some point, as we have seen this is now possible in the series. There's the answer to all that makeup, prosthetics etc - its no longer needed, just do a Data impression and Spiner's golden.

Or not, so to speak. ;)

• Upvote 1

Spiner also said that the de-ageing CGI was part of the reason he felt comfortable to return. I’d be delighted if he came back properly - but I’d be equally surprised if he actually did.

Where the fuck are the Klingons anyhow? Surely with the Beta Quadrant in disarray they ought to be making some sort of power move?

And what's Garak up to? Why isn't this just a series about Garak? Garak and Morn.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if Martok is still alive at this point, and if Worf is still Ambassador to Qo'nos. Maybe they wont be a threat, but I doubt it. If the Federation is working with the Romulans I cant see the Klingons liking that, despite Worf warming to them in Nemesis.

I assume Garak is helping restore Cardassia. They werent much of a military power at the end of DS9.

- People in the future swear now?

> People in shows that aren't syndicated to air on Sunday mornings swear.

- In general Raffi as a character makes no sense, you live in a post-scarcity utopia, sure for social reasons your career could get screwed up somehow, but if you choose to live in a caravan in the desert getting pissed, that is your own choice, the Replicator is right there. Lazy, lazy writing.

> Agreed, Rafi is also annoying as fuck.

- All the EMHs, why?

> Star Trek has been going a long time and they've gone through most obvious ideas for gimmicky supporting characters. I kind of hope this gets several series and they have to keep coming up with increasingly obscure jobs.

- That terrible fucking Romulan beard.

> Romulan spy dude's moody look-out-here-comes-a-badass introductory shot followed by his opening his mouth and revealing himself to be a bonk-eyed public school dork in episode 1 was one of the funniest things in the show so far.

- Since when did Jean-Luc Picard know how to interact with children?

> They literally address this in the dialogue.

- Patrick Stewart in general is phoning it in or maybe it is the writing, but there seems to be a huge gap between Jean-Luc Picard, the character we all remember, and Patrick Stewart, the actor playing the character Jean-Luc Picard in 2020.

> Patrick Stewart is really old. I think his *intense* dialogue scenes (except the interview in ep 1 where it sounds like he's choking on pudding) have been well carried off so far.

- Do they have universal translators now or are they broken or wtf?

> On a xenophobic Romulan refugee planet? Maybe not?

- All the Romulan stuff is basically trash.

> The borg cube stuff is mildly intriguing (and looks good) but yeah Romulans are like the most boring Star Trek baddies, you can basically do navy/espionage thriller stuff with them, but a show like this that's trying to dabble in lots of tonally different things just makes their 'mysteriousness' boring and annoying.

- Someone got decapitated by a sword in an episode of Star Trek. Fuck. Off. JJ Abrams has got a lot to answer for.

> No more or less out of place than the violence in Star Trek VI imo. Picard having an alien version of Link stashed away in a backwater of space for years is exactly the sort of stupid thing TNG would have done (and satisfactorily resolved in one episode and never mentioned again).

I am under no illusion that I'm giving this show a lot of benefit of the doubt because of nostalgia for TNG. But it's had some good writing, very faithful "TNG+15 years" realisation of the world/tech far beyond what even the movies managed, decent fights and (some) good characters (mostly the ones who seem likely to survive a 1 series character arc - except Rafi who needs to get Yarred). The difference between this and fucking Discovery is night and day.

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

The difference between this and fucking Discovery is night and day.

yeah, Discovery actually had stuff going on and was anything but dull (despite it being complete turd)... this is just dull AND turd....

As soon as it was announced they had the Discovery writers on board you knew this was going to be bad...

9 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

> The borg cube stuff is mildly intriguing (and looks good) but yeah Romulans are like the most boring Star Trek baddies, you can basically do navy/espionage thriller stuff with them, but a show like this that's trying to dabble in lots of tonally different things just makes their 'mysteriousness' boring and annoying.

Patrick Stewart on the prospect of Romulans in Insurrection:

I think what dismays me most about the story is the dredging up of the Romulans - a race already unexciting in TNG - as the bad guys. It is revisionist and backward looking in a most disappointing way. After the Borg - the Romulans? Oh, my.

Not sure why they've been judged to be effective baddies now. I'm only interested in them without the silly veil of secrecy.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, but also Patrick Stewart.

I have two words for you... DUNE BUGGY!

• Upvote 1

Personally the negativity might be getting a bit overblown.  I really enjoyed the first three episodes, it was only the 4th one which was a bit of a duffer.

The thing is, I'm interested in the story they have presented, I just want them to have the courage to go ahead and tell the story.  Not have 5 episodes of filler and then a rushed conclusion in episode 10. 

• Upvote 6

22 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Personally the negativity might be getting a bit overblown.  I really enjoyed the first three episodes, it was only the 4th one which was a bit of a duffer.

The thing is, I'm interested in the story they have presented, I just want them to have the courage to go ahead and tell the story.  Not have 5 episodes of filler and then a rushed conclusion in episode 10. 

Exactly how I feel too

Yeah, overall I'm enjoying this too. Certainly more so than Discovery, although that's admittedly not saying much.

I like Picard himself, along with the Irish romulans and the Hispanic Han Solo. I like the holograms being based on the pilot. I'm less keen on the woman whose role seems to be Slightly Belligerent Science Officer, and we'll see what happens with the definitely-not-a-spy android expert. 

Also, I can't take the main villain guy seriously; he's such an ex-public school wet blanket. And his sister/boss is crap as well. Although I think the main antagonist is going to turn out to be Robot Girl.

I've listed more negatives here than positives, but I do think it's worth watching all in all, if not exactly a classic. I'm intrigued as to where it's all going.

Tbh, "Romulans as bad guys" plots have always been pretty duff.

DS9 had to make them allies to change them up, and its so obvious that the producers didnt like using them as a race much because Star Treks Collectible Card game has so few Romulans as actual cards you can use its ridiculous, and you have to have copies of random Romulans to make up your deck!

16 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

yeah, Discovery actually had stuff going on and was anything but dull (despite it being complete turd)... this is just dull AND turd....

Picard is almost certainly the last time the Star Trek name is going to be allowed on anything other than a cacophony of terrible CGI explosions and shit sub-Whedon one liners. Savour it.

• Upvote 1

I fee a bit annoyed that Picard has been off having other adventures with people like Raffi and I wasn’t invited. 

It’s like, back off bitches, I loved him first. 

Also, when did Picard get good with kids? Now I really do feel like the ex. 

• Upvote 1

When did he get good with kids? Picard is in his 90's, has no children of his own, grandchildren or even any relatives now (post Generations), and I think he's softened over the years as a result.

Also he has had children, in a sense - In the episode "The Inner Light", in the space of 20 minutes, he has a wife, raises a family, struggles to save a planet, and dies. If you forgot, its the episode where he gets the Ressikan Flute, which at the end he holds close and then plays, perfectly. Its the episode that likely impacted Picard the most, and is one of my favourites featuring the character.

• Upvote 7

29 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

which at the end he holds close and then plays, perfectly

Are you taking the piss? ;)

oh how i wish we had episodes like that again... Just every day dealings aboard the enterprise. not season long sock sliding shite

1 hour ago, Nicky said:

oh how i wish we had episodes like that again... Just every day dealings aboard the enterprise. not season long sock sliding shite

That should be the ongoing storyline, Picard doing whatever with his ship but every episode just cutting back to those idiots sliding about every now and then. 

• Upvote 1