rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

8 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

Did you just describe Star Trek: Frexit?

Not far off describing Undiscovered Country.

Maybe a reprise of his future All Good Things angry and confused Picard, his temper made all the worse because his carer is an embittered Wesley Crusher. Crusher, newly returned from his ‘voyage to other planes of reality’ with The Traveler, reveals that all that really happened was that The Traveler kept spiking his food with Ketracel White.

• Upvote 9

Ah yes, this could definitely do with Gates McFadden also coming back. 

Edit: Just realised this post implies I'm okay with Wesley coming back. 

No. 

News of Stewart returning for more Star Trek shouldn't be automatically received as if it were the second coming. Movie Picard was awful, so I'm going to withhold my excitement until we hear more about the structure and the staff behind this new project. There's no suggestion yet that this will be anything like TNG, and a show like TNG probably couldn't be made these days anyway.

Having said that, Stewart is a great actor and he seems like a top bloke, so I'm hoping he gets an opportunity to do what he does best in a show that does something interesting with the material. Everyone goes on about The Best of Both Worlds, but it was episodes like Family where Star Trek illustrated it could have heart and soul with a Shakespearian actor exploring what it really means to be human in the 24th Century. That's what I really want to see from this; Stewart bawling his eyes out and destroying his family's grape crop mud wrestling with his brother.

• Upvote 3

Stewart's already said that this will be nothing like TNG, and that Picard "may not be a captain". It will certainly be a very different show, which is probably a good thing.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, TehStu said:

... I liked the Picard films.

They're better than Discovery. Hell, even Voyager/Enterprise is better than that shite.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Nick R said:

Not sure this scenario works for aging Picard.

Worf hitchhicking around the federation sounds more like it.

Getting arrested for murder's he didn't commit, saying nothing, headbutting people and knowing what time it is on any planet in the galaxy.

12 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Not sure this scenario works for aging Picard.

Worf hitchhicking around the federation sounds more like it.

Getting arrested for murder's he didn't commit, saying nothing, headbutting people and knowing what time it is on any planet in the galaxy.

I'm envisioning that as the old Kung Fu tv-show, but in Spaaaace and with Worf doing headbutts instead of kicks.

12 hours ago, revlob said:

That's what I really want to see from this; Stewart balling his eyes out and destroying his family's grape crop mud wrestling with his brother.

Unfortunately, Picard's entire family died in a fire for some cheap emotional impact in Generations :)

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

Thinking about that, my idea for this new show is old man Picard reflecting on the fact that he is the last Picard and his family's utterly pointless death.

The first few episodes will just be him moping around the vineyard post-retirement, looking at photos of his brother's family and remembering Rene's dreams of being in Starfleet, while spiraling deeper into depression. 

Eventually he'll hear about some recent experiments in time travel on some classified Starfleet communication that he listens in on for something to do during his copious amounts of free time (his access to such things having not been revoked despite him being retired). 

I'm pretty sure that they already had the technology for time travelling in Star Trek anyway, but that's boring, we need a super secret new thing for a bit of drama  :)

He'll then naturally go rogue on some "borrowed" ship with... oh let's say Geordi and Riker, and travel back in time to prevent his entire family from dying pointlessly in a house fire.

They could do it like Back to the Future 2 (or that tribble episode of DS9....), Picard sneaking around the vineyard trying to covertly enter his brother's house in order to change the smoke alarm's battery while the events of "Family" play out in the background.

(I'd imagine a 24th century smoke alarm battery is good for at least a few decades, so it should still be running fine by whenever Generations was set).

• Upvote 1

Maybe, in his zeal, he replaces the smoke alarm battery with a plasma discharge regulation manifold to make sure that it never needs replacing, and it is actually a quantum rupture in its deflector skein that causes the tragic fire in the first place.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, TehStu said:

He did his best in all of them, but let’s face it Insurrection and Nemesis were absolute stinkers. You can bet he knows that, too. I think, like Harrison Ford, Stewart sees the appeal of wrapping up his characters in a classy and definitive way before he pops his clogs. What’s good about that is that he’s become very comfortable with trying new things (compare the ‘we’re not here to have fun!’ Patrick Stewart with the American Dad one of recent years) and without the Enterprise and crew hung around his neck there’s a shitload of potential for Picard’s character. 

'Classy' way? Patrick Stewart and his increasing producer power is half the reason Insurrection and Nemesis ended up the way they did.

If they give Sir Pat any creative freedom at all it's going to be a 45 minutes of Picard driving around in a dune buggy, firing space uzis, having unconvincing fist fights and then sexing up the female guest star every week.

• Upvote 4

Wasn't the story that Brent Spiner kidnapped the head of the studio's children, and demanded that each film have Data subplots shoehorned in at the expense of everybody else? Maybe he can turn up in this and say that he found Dr Soong's prototype ageing chip that he built to make his androids look all saggy and pasty like real old men, but hid in the bottom drawer because no-one would ever want that.

• Upvote 4

Movie Picard was OK apart from him getting excited about that bloody stupid dune buggy thing in Nemesis.  Oh and his speech at the wedding.  Bloody awful.

The American Dad where he's shagging Stan's daughter is one of my all time favourite pieces of Patrick Stewart.

"Do you have any Gatorade?  I'm afraid I've left all my electrolytes with your daughter!"

• Upvote 1

On 06/08/2018 at 11:15, JohnC said:

He'll be at the family vineyard and he and his neighbour, Ian McKellen, will get up to all sorts of hijinks in town at night.

Add Jacobi and they could do Star Trek: Vicious.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

If they give Sir Pat any creative freedom at all it's going to be a 45 minutes of Picard driving around in a dune buggy, firing space uzis, having unconvincing fist fights and then sexing up the female guest star every week.

This sounds awesome!

16 hours ago, TehStu said:

You know they continued past First Contact right?

8 hours ago, Harsin said:

'Classy' way? Patrick Stewart and his increasing producer power is half the reason Insurrection and Nemesis ended up the way they did.

And Brent Spiner. That book on one of those films by the writer is on the net somewhere. It's really good.

Edit: Fade In: The writing of Star Trek Insurrection. Written by the writer. Fascinating.

Edit edit: The writer being Michael Piller. Important writer in TNG and DS9

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Festoon said:

And Brent Spiner. That book on one of those films by the writer is on the net somewhere. It's really good.

Edit: Fade In: The writing of Star Trek Insurrection. Written by the writer. Fascinating.

Edit edit: The writer being Michael Piller. Important writer in TNG and DS9

It's a great read, that.

• Upvote 1

On 06/08/2018 at 10:57, mdn2 said:

Maybe it'll be like The West Wing and Picard will play some high up Admiral while the show focuses on his staff as they try to enact new Starfleet policies. They're not going to have him flying about on some starship, are they?

On 06/08/2018 at 11:02, Mr Cochese said:

You want Picard pushing pens at City Hall?

On 06/08/2018 at 17:19, Nick R said:

I'd actually quite like something like this.

The best thing about Picard was that Stewart has the acting chops to properly flesh him out as a relatable human being, and quite a thoughtful, likeable one at that. If they can manufacture some storyline that gets a lot of the usual technoblurb and alien-species-of-the-week stuff out of the way and focuses on actual character drama, I'd be very happy. TNG was at its best as a morality tale that just happened to be in a scifi setting, you could probably make the scifi very discreet and it'd still work fine.

I could also see a situation where the plot is about picard but not directly involving him (say, he's gone awol) If it turns out he's just an overarching support character that turns up for a few scenes here and there, that'd be a shame. 

• Upvote 1

On 07/08/2018 at 12:55, Harsin said:

A good point on Insurrection and Nemesis; I now remember an interview where he mentioned putting the weird buggy bit in because he wanted to drive one.

However, 77 year old Patrick Stewart still behaving like an action hero stud? I don't see it. Look at how willing and eager he was to play a broken Professor X in Logan, because it was a poignant send-off for the character.  

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping it's just going to be Picard somehow bringing Dathon from 'Darmok' back to life, deciding they're too old for this shit, and they both set up a bar on Risa.