Succession - Sky Atlantic/HBO

Gotters

On 30/09/2021 at 10:59, Ork1927 said:

I've just rewatched Series 2 and it remains incredible how these awful, awful people are so watchable and compelling - the writing and acting is just amazing across the board.

I'm now rewatching Series 1 as Series 2 wasn't enough.

Can I also add how fucking good the theme tune is.

• 2 weeks later...

The first season was all in one but it's too popular now for that.

Rewatching end of S2 and its so good, the people behind being British gives this black comedy  aspect that sets apart from the usual US rich people show. I hope Jesse Armstrong (what a record this guy has Peep Show, The Thick of it and Succession) and everybody involved  is getting paid. 

I can't believe it's NEW SUCCESSION day. I've rewatched the first two series so many times just to try and pick up some new tiny nugget of gold that I previously missed, and there's going to be an hour of the stuff arriving within a matter of hours :omg:

Oh man this is my favourite program since The Wire and now it's really popular it'll be impossible to avoid spoilers so I can't save it all for when it's complete and binge it all in one go. God damn, 1st world problems.

1 hour ago, Spoonman said:

Going dark on this now, will binge it in one go at Christmas or something. Enjoy! See you later! :D

Good luck avoiding any spoilers for this for ten weeks given how massive it is.

The idea of binging this just sets me on fire. It’s so sumptuous, so full of tiny details. I absolutely love having a week between episodes to absorb it and chat about it and make sure people know I was into it before it was cool. 

It’s also really really funny watching the credits of the biggest show on tv and seeing half of the fresh meat writers in there. 

Again, baffled why this is 6 pages and not 60.

Regarding Shiv

Spoiler

I guessed that her 'change of plan' was joining Kendall's side, and I'm surprised the episode didn't end with him opening the door to her

Any other guesses what she meant?

4 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Regarding Shiv

Hide contents

I guessed that her 'change of plan' was joining Kendall's side, and I'm surprised the episode didn't end with him opening the door to her

She’s still heading to Kendall I think. Can’t remember now, but does she know about his road…accident?

7 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:
7 hours ago, Timmo said:

Regarding Shiv

Hide contents

Can’t remember now, but does she know about his road…accident?

Nobody knows except Logan and Colin, his shady fixer. And possibly a couple of RoyCo security guys?

@Timmo 

Spoiler

I assumed that's what she meant, unless she's heading off to try and curry some political favours for Logan via Gil?

I wonder if the next episode is going to be spent trying to figure out where Logan is. He seemed like he was stumbling out into Sarajevo in a daze at the end.

The media coverage of this reminds me of when latter seasons of Mad Men was broadcast, all the papers are carrying stories, spoilery reviews that go up with US broadcast yet relatively few people are actually watching it - it's talked about but not especially popular.

Good return, all the characters up to their usual scheming and as always it's the dialogue that really elevates things, especially the humour which separates it hugely from the more po-faced American stuff where people just spout incredibly earnest words at each other in humourless monologues (the Morning Show being the latest offender)

Spoiler

I see Shiv's thinking as she has Tom in the Dad camp reporting to her, and Kendall already opened the door by calling her, so rather than piss away time chatting shit with Romulus she can be in Kendall's camp, and Team Shiv have both sides covered - with a last minute leap by her or Tom into the team that looks set to win.

9 hours ago, Timmo said:

It didn't seem popular at all when it came out, it only been since the mid/end of S2 that it seems to have exploded to me.i don't read much telly stuff so I could be way off.

I think GoT was at its apex when it came out and it overshadowed everything. It's funny cos I never watched much of GoT but ove Succession. Ostensibly it should be otherway around given my tastes. I'll never get how so many non-typical fantasy fans watched Thrones.

For me it's not just the brilliant dialogue but everything that goes unsaid and can just be inferred which elevates this to top tier art. It's very multi-layered and not afraid of treating it's audience like intelligent adults. Characters motivations are not spelled out, one has to read between the lines and so many of the characters actions are usually as a result of some bullying or scheming from another character or inferred from historic abuse, particular in the case of all the offspring.