IGNORED

Succession - Sky Atlantic/HBO

Gotters

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

So Logan is always calling Roman ‘Romulus’ this season, don’t recall him doing that before.

Hide contents

Didn’t Romulus kill his brother ? Is this hiding in plain sight all season ?

He's always called him that though hasn't he? A bit like him calling Shiv Siobhan. Not sure if he uses their full names all the time or just for parental effect.

3 minutes ago, barkbat said:

Doubt we’ve seen the end of the Romulus 4 Gerri storyline as numerous writers on the show have said how much they love it and how it emerged organically from performance. Also Logan def called Roman Romulus in earlier seasons.

Hope so. It was deliciously twisted but kinda sweet too

10 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

Latest episode was excellent again.

Can anyone name another show where every single character is so interesting and compelling and every actor at the top of their game/A+ from the first episode all the way through to mid way through series 3.

Maybe the Wire or The Shield, is my only thoughts but they are pretty one nite. Whereas Succession calls for wide variety of performances from the actors, which gets delivered.

Siobahn looked amazing in that brown suit towards the end of current episode. The right-wing guy they're getting photographed with seems kinda famiar, would I have seen him in something else?

On 25/11/2021 at 11:23, Ork1927 said:

Latest episode was excellent again.

Can anyone name another show where every single character is so interesting and compelling and every actor at the top of their game/A+ from the first episode all the way through to mid way through series 3.

I think only The Wire but that had so many characters whereas this is very focused on a select few. I do love the mystery around the side characters like Katalina and Hugo, we know so little about them yet can infer so much.

2 hours ago, Timmo said:

I adored this week's episode. I was emotionally wrecked. Every character is so three dimensional. The way you can feel so profoundly empathetic for these people is something else.

Yes, it's remarkable. They're all such incredibly unlikeable people but you care so much about them. I can't think of another programme like it in that regard.

Maybe Deadwood, I suppose?

Spoiler

Kendall can throw that party, and still make the viewer feel sorry for him.

Elite tier writing.

EDIT: Should also add,

Spoiler

Elite tier acting. There’s simply no weak links either side of the camera.

Also, a small technical point, really enjoying the creative use of blocking and framing to stop Greg from always towering above the rest of the cast.

They sure do it better than with John ‘The Dwayne’ Rockson and Vin Diesel on the Fast films.

I found the first 2/3 a bit lacking this latest episode. However

Spoiler

, it’s actually brilliant. They tease you with Ken going to do a performance so cringe it will be the rap x 10. Then they absolutely sledgehammer you with Roman turning into an uber  arsehole devastating Shiv and Ken having a meltdown that takes him from being this odious object of utter derision to a poor fragile wreck. The last 10 minutes was actually a pretty tough watch.

Best line award to Tom again: “

Spoiler

I took the wrong drugs in the wrong order and now I’m sad.”

No idea where this is going. 

Again just brilliant, the episodes do almost feel like plays now with the short almost real time settings and very few locations but aren't suffering from it.

There is no way they made all that up, the show is impeccably researched and I'm sure the attractions and various rooms at the party will all be taken from real events for the uber rich.

Spoiler

my personal favourite was Tom getting cross in the supposedly tranquil compliment corridor

what phone was Roman using on the way home to call Logan - yuk.

Oddly the whole thing took me back over a decade to my 12/13y old son having a massive hissy fit all afternoon at his birthday paint balling event held in the woods where some of his mates were better than him at it. 

Interesting pickup I'd missed in the Guardian recap comments section, it's speculation but ...

Spoiler

They'd picked up it was Kendall's 40th birthday and it's been said this season that Peter Munion has been hanging round their mother for the last 40y. 

This show is so carefully crafted that wouldn't appear coincidence.

Trailer for next week is the wedding by looks of it. 

Also only 9 eps this season, so only 2 remaining. 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Interesting pickup I'd missed in the Guardian recap comments section, it's speculation but ...

Hide contents

They'd picked up it was Kendall's 40th birthday and it's been said this season that Peter Munion has been hanging round their mother for the last 40y. 

This show is so carefully crafted that wouldn't appear coincidence.

Trailer for next week is the wedding by looks of it. 

Also only 9 eps this season, so only 2 remaining. 

And they have Pip Torrens cast to play Munion too, which I doubt they would do just to have him be meat in the room. 

What a great episode.

Kendalls trajectory from planning this awesome party with all these amazing guests super-happy. To in the end realising its all byllshit and wanting his daughters present over everything else. Them feeling betrayed by his family whom he thought were there genuinely was sad and brilliant.

Then add in Shiv whose also totally conflicted seems to want to help Kendall abit. While Roman/Romulus is a callous fuckwit who only wants his dad's approval regardless of the damage.

Then, there Tom and Greg, dumb and dumber.

The party stuff was surely based on reality, which someone else mentioned. That compliment tunnel was so horrendous and the tree house scenario :lol:

The HBO Succession podcast is a good short listen. The host is a journo I believe and said she’s been to far worse parties and seen 2 vagina tunnel entrances, she also mentioned in the past tech folks attempts at rapping. 

They had a high end party planner on this week too telling how he had 24h notice to create a wall of taxidermy heads with laser shooting eyes for a Ski lodge end of the world themed party he was organising.

4 minutes ago, Gotters said:

24h notice to create a wall of taxidermy heads with laser shooting eyes 

That sounds cool, the birth tunnels are not my thing at l though.

Alexander Skarsgard Was well cast as that wanker he portrayed.

As an aside, the UTI making you mental  stuff was quite accurate. I've seen it happen and can be come severe if untreated.

That was great. I loved the way they took a hideously implausible scene like the one where Greg asks Kendall’s PA out and she agrees, and made it somehow believable. The writing is excellent. Plus, I loved happy Greg and angry coked-up Tom. 

It seems obvious, but I hadn’t made the connection until the recap at the start of the episode:

Spoiler

Kendall does have knowledge of crimes committed and covered up by Waystar employees, which Logan ordered and sanctioned - the one that Kendall committed at the end of the first series. Presumably Kendall will blow the whistle on himself once he’s summoned up sufficient self-loathing