rllmuk
Loik V credern

Your unearthed gems

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Better than the goat herding film? I’m in!

Wooden Clogs is a fucking amazing film but you have to be in a certain mood. It's very naturalistic and extremely light on plot. It's very palatable and enjoyable to wash yourself in, but its 3 hours long. That said though i've watched it about 6 times because it has a really hypnotic tempo

• Upvote 1

The Admiral: Roaring Currents. Its the biggest South Korean film of all time but never got the push many of their films have in the west. Based on the true story of the battle of Myeong-nyang in 1597. When 12 Korean ships defended against an attack from 100's of ships from the Japanese navy. With legendary actor Choi Min-sik of Old Boy and I Saw the Devil playing legendary Admiral Yi Sun-sin. 

It's truly bad ass. Choi Min-sik swallows up the screen and you can see how he managed to organise such a crazy defence and how he motivated them all to fight. Its not perfect but its easily one of the best war films made this century.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, papalazarou said:

@Creamstick  grabbers is a brilliant under loved comedy - fun facts a friend of mine is one of the islanders trapped in the pub and is quite prominent in the movie.  (He is also in game of thrones quite a lot as an extra which someday I’ll make a post on as his rise from peasant to one of the masters via the red wedding is the real story! - seriously with his rise I actually expect him to be sitting on the iron throne at the end!)

That's awesome!! When Grabbers was on Netflix, I spent the whole time it was there trying to get everyone I could to watch it. Usually just the premise sounded interesting but daft enough to draw them in!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Orion said:

The Admiral: Roaring Currents. Its the biggest South Korean film of all time but never got the push many of their films have in the west. Based on the true story of the battle of Myeong-nyang in 1597. When 12 Korean ships defended against an attack from 100's of ships from the Japanese navy. With legendary actor Choi Min-sik of Old Boy and I Saw the Devil playing legendary Admiral Yi Sun-sin. 

It's truly bad ass. Choi Min-sik swallows up the screen and you can see how he managed to organise such a crazy defence and how he motivated them all to fight. Its not perfect but its easily one of the best war films made this century.

Oh man, I saw this for sale on the cheap somewhere and wasn't sure about it so I left it. Wish I'd nabbed it now. 

On 03/08/2018 at 15:59, papalazarou said:

what we do in the shadows - a modern comedy clasic -  fake documentary following 4 vampire housemates who go about doing there daily business.  And yet hardly anyone i know has seen it!!

It was on the iPlayer (this year I think) so people certainly had an easy opportunity to watch it, saw it, it was ok, maybe it needs a 2nd watch (something I rarely do for any film) to really see the appeal.

This film about the Balkan conflict is pretty good, and the IMDb rating is bloody surprisingly high:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116860/

• Upvote 1

The Fall is one that always stands out for me. Hardly anyone I know has watched it, and those that have tend to not like it, but I adore it.

Also, another shout out for American Mary. A real underrated gem of a horror film. 

18 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Another film I adore that has a really unique mood and tempo. Hal Hartley's Trust

Really need to revisit this. Loved it back when it came out but haven't seen it since. 

2 hours ago, mushashi said:

saw it, it was ok, maybe it needs a 2nd watch (something I rarely do for any film) to really see the appeal.

Have you checked your humour module is engaged?

6 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Ban request.

Fair enough and I was a bit steaming. 

Just in my inebriated state the first two episodes seemed decent. May have been that nostalgia thing kicking in mind. 

On 04/08/2018 at 01:22, Goose said:

That's reminded me of The Frighteners. That's a film that deserves a lot more love.

Good call on the frighteners brilliant comedy horror 

going through my collection I want to add biggles to this list cheesey as hell but still a fun adventure time movie with a catchy theme tune

And another one - high spirts - comedy about ghosts trying to stop there castle being turned into a hotel - great cast, Peter o’toole, Liam Neeson (fun fact I work with his cousin.) Steve Guttenberg , Daryl Hannah and directed by Neil Jordan - another great comedy horror 

• Upvote 1

Two great ones that rarely get a mention. The fact James Spader's in both is just a weird coincidence! 

White Palace

p12810_d_v8_aa.thumb.jpg.a9feb1dcdc391adbab1ebddd68476748.jpg

A steamy but down to earth romantic drama, with Spader as a Yuppie widower who falls for an older, blousy waitress. They don't make these sorts of dramas anymore - indie drama doesn't seem to bother itself with romance, and mainstream romantic films are just blah wish fulfilment guff. This has unironic saxophone on the soundtrack, and everything! 

The Music of Chance

41CR0ETMJGL._SY445_.jpg.ef64dbb6c9bf7965d78cdc5bf3af82c1.jpg

I love me some Paul Auster. His novels are all about realism colliding with magical realism, causing a blend of both favourable and heartbreaking coincidences. 

This one is about a man (Mandy Patinkin) drifting on an infinite road trip, who manages to fall in with a conman and two-time loser (Spader), and they work out a scheme to hustle poker. They run into a couple of oddball rich recluses, and things take a distinct change for the strange. 

It's melancholy and off key, and - again - the sort of thing you rarely see these days as it doesn't easily slot into any one genre. Worth seeking out! 

• Upvote 3

If you are looking for good thrillers.

Arlington Road

Best Laid Plans

Red Rock West

Avoid trailers, spoilers and plot summaries for Arlington Road AT ALL COSTS. Jeff Bridges, Tim Robbins and that is all you need to know.

• Upvote 2

Last night I watched one of the movies that Amazon Prime recommended for me, Train to Busan. Why did this not get a decent release in the UK? It is a cracking and zombie film with some great performances and brutal action set pieces. The final act loses a bit of pace, but the two hours went by very quickly. The trailer does a great job of selling the film:

Pretty much the film that World War Z should have been, and an excellent modern take on the genre.

• Upvote 3

Enjoyed Train to Busan but it runs out of steam a bit towards the end.

Arlington Road is excellent 

May I respectfully add The Phantom.  Billy Zane in a rare decent performance in a old fashioned adventure yarn. Excellent action, bonkers plot and a memorable turn from Catherine Zeta Jones as a tough femme fatale.

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Happiness and Storytelling are great black comedies from Todd Solondz.

Happiness is another one of my all time favourites. Pitch black and hard to imagine it being made today. Can’t remember much about Storytelling, must revisit. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

Happiness is another one of my all time favourites. Pitch black and hard to imagine it being made today. Can’t remember much about Storytelling, must revisit. 

I think Happiness goes for 'laughs' more than Storytelling but it has some fantastic scenes and lines.