rllmuk
Loik V credern

Your unearthed gems

Breakdown with Kurt Russell is class. It's even got Doom in it. There's some fantastic old school car stunts and it's lean too, at 95m. 

Just noticed the trailer used the Days of Thunder music!

• Upvote 3

I'll second Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead - really enjoyed that.

Some of my favourite films are this sort of things. My memory is dreadful, but off the top of my head:

A Simple Plan - when I first saw this I was amazed nobody had raved about it to me beforehand. 3 guys find millions of dollars in a crashed plane and decide to keep it. Such a good film.

Open Range - one of my favourite westerns. Long and slow and all the better for it. Up there with Unforgiven for me.

Midnight Sting - boxing movie about a bet that a boxer can win ten fights in the same day. Really good fun.

Tin Cup - a golf movie that celebrates one of my favourite aspects of sport. Again, great fun.

As for TV, how about the World of Pub? Criminally overlooked comedy starring Kevin Eldon, Peter Serafinowicz and Phil Cornwell. You can find most of it online with a quick google I think. Here's a clip of a favourite bit (a little on the gross-out side of things, which isn't representative of the series as a whole).

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Share your gems. Because our watchlists aren't at all long enough.

I have nothing. Except maybe Birth. Not in anyway unearthed though.

Great idea for a thread by the way thanks!

Vamp. My favourite vampire film. Grace Jones with enough sex appeal to suffocate the entire world, 80s synth, a Mel Gibson lookalike lead actor, the less well known Pfeiffer and almost entirely shot with green and purple lighting :wub:

• Upvote 6

a really old one - 1,2,3  - comedy with james cagney set in berlin during the 50's - screwball comedy but very very funny

young sherlock holmes - fantasic family movie that has been overlooked and forgotten about over the years :( 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

a really old one - 1,2,3  - comedy with james cagney set in berlin during the 50's - screwball comedy but very very funny

young sherlock holmes - fantasic family movie that has been overlooked and forgotten about over the years :(

Latter famous for first ever use of a CG character (the stained glass window)

12 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

Surprisingly dark and violent in places, too. Bleak ending for a kid's film, as I recall. Great early CG FX shots, too.

Edit: snap!

18 minutes ago, smac said:

Surprisingly dark and violent in places, too. Bleak ending for a kid's film, as I recall. Great early CG FX shots, too.

Edit: snap!

of def i remember first time i watched it as a kid it terried me esp the:

Spoiler

the first princess sacrafice scene  - and the follow on scene in the cemetary

but it has one hell of a soundtrack (that i listen to all the time) 

Does Dobermann count? 

Not sure if it's obscure enough. One of Vincent Cassell's breakthrough films, mega stylish and violent (and silly). I haven't seen it in years actually, hope it doesn't turn out I hate it now. The full movie looks to be on Youtube now too.

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, Goose said:

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane. Saw a timecoded vhs copy in 1990 and loved it ever since. Not sure if it ever got a UK release at all.

A really personal one for me. I have stronger memories of watching this film than I have of my dad touching me. I was working in the video store when we received it. Noel, the adult in the store (I was 14 and had only been working there for 6 years) put it on and we started watching. The humour was so intense and course that I was overwhelmed. So we stopped about 10 mins in and both took the video home.

I didn't sleep that night. I watched the movie on repeat. The Neil Diamond gag, the insane swearing, the way ADC would play with words "moneymoney monn mon mn nggghhhh!!!"

All of it was so alien and aggressively modern. It was like movies meets standup. 

Milestone film making. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Kingpin said:

I don’t meet many people who share my love for Best In Show. It’s up there with Spinal Tap as my favorite Christopher Guest film. The ensemble cast is absolutely brilliant, so many great moments and lines throughout. 

You're right. Best in show is satirically stupendous. It was celebrated on release but has been forgotten. Its so strong

7 hours ago, MarkN said:

I'll second Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead - really enjoyed that.

Some of my favourite films are this sort of things. My memory is dreadful, but off the top of my head:

A Simple Plan - when I first saw this I was amazed nobody had raved about it to me beforehand. 3 guys find millions of dollars in a crashed plane and decide to keep it. Such a good film.

Open Range - one of my favourite westerns. Long and slow and all the better for it. Up there with Unforgiven for me.

Midnight Sting - boxing movie about a bet that a boxer can win ten fights in the same day. Really good fun.

Tin Cup - a golf movie that celebrates one of my favourite aspects of sport. Again, great fun.

As for TV, how about the World of Pub? Criminally overlooked comedy starring Kevin Eldon, Peter Serafinowicz and Phil Cornwell. You can find most of it online with a quick google I think. Here's a clip of a favourite bit (a little on the gross-out side of things, which isn't representative of the series as a whole).

The first ever mention of Midnight Sting on here that wasn't me. Its an incredible piece of work

For me it will always be Day of the Dead. I think it is the single best script i've ever read. Mainly because it is dealing with such a ridiculous concept, but handles it on a psychological level. 

It's not hard to find on Netflix but might otherwise be overlooked: Calibre. A tight, extremely well acted thriller.

As for a personal obscure pick, Angel's Egg is an animated film by Mamoro Oshii that I would urge anyone to see if just for how strange and ethereal it is.

Art by Yoshitaka Amano:

thumb-1920-781287.jpg

• Upvote 3

I generally go on about these three

Deep Cover, Trespass and Ricochet.

i also know more about Young Sherlock Holmes than Barry Levinson, I think.

1 minute ago, Goose said:

I generally go on about these three

Deep Cover, Trespass and Ricochet.

i also know more about Young Sherlock Holmes than Barry Levinson, I think.

Deep Cover is another movie that I love more than you love your greatest movie.

"Hollywood... Hollywood"
"This shit ain't bad"
"I'm wasting my motherfucking time with you"
"We'll have barbecue jumbo shrimp you motherfuckeeeeerrrrrrr"

Deep Cover is a stone cold racially blind serpico fucking masterpiece. Directed by Mt David 'Gonna have me some fun' Duke.

Career bests from Larry Fishburne and Jeff Goldblume, and scenes of intensity to rival Goodfellas ("Felix, I know what you do!")

If you ain't seen deep cover you don't love movies.  

• Upvote 1