rllmuk
Luseth

EFL Championship 2018/19 - All aboard the rollercoaster

Just now, Mike1812 said:

Another year of madness coming up....

I was hoping we'd get him if we were promoted and Frank went to Chelsea. You guys must be delighted.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Only thing bad for me about Villa going up is that a load of Wolves fans will start to treat Wolves - Villa as some kind of big rivallry, which to me, it just isn't.

Totally agree.

I wasn't keen on Villa last season because of the idiocy spouted by the moronic trio of The Mad Doctor, Wyness and Bruce.  Can't stand any of them so now they're out of the picture, I don't begrudge them their victory.  On the contrary - I have loads of mates who support Villa so I'm pleased for them.

Talking of The Mad Doctor and that prat Wyness - this sums up how classless they are.  Villa are much better off without them.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2019/05/28/tony-xia-and-former-aston-villa-chef-executive-keith-wyness-involved-in-twitter-spat/

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Only thing bad for me about Villa going up is that a load of Wolves fans will start to treat Wolves - Villa as some kind of big rivallry, which to me, it just isn't.

Aye. I'm sure there are areas where Villa and Wolves are the two most popular clubs  but for someone like me who is a Warwickshire boy who has worked in central/east Birmingham for twenty years Wolverhampton isn't really on my radar. Most Wolves fans I know are alright too. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Looks like Leeds could be getting an investment from QSI who own PSG. Not sure I'm too happy about going down that route. 

Remember this post when you have moneyhatted yet another premiership title in a decades time. 

47 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Remember this post when you have moneyhatted yet another premiership title in a decades time. 

Nah, Leeds would find a way to fuck it up every year. 

Villa sign Jota from Birmingham making him the first player to move directly from St Andrews to Villa Park since Alan Curbishley in 1983.  Dunno much about him, he seems to be a replacement for Albert Adomah who was released last week and it was probably cheap as Gary Gardner went the other way as a makeweight. Jota has played under Smith before when they were both at Brentford. I'll have to see what the Bluenoses in my life make of it all when I head into work tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

Villa sign Jota from Birmingham making him the first player to move directly from St Andrews to Villa Park since Alan Curbishley in 1983.  Dunno much about him, he seems to be a replacement for Albert Adomah who was released last week and it was probably cheap as Gary Gardner went the other way as a makeweight. Jota has played under Smith before when they were both at Brentford. I'll have to see what the Bluenoses in my life make of it all when I head into work tomorrow. 

From what I’ve seen he’s very one sided. His main weapon seems to be to cut in from the right and leather it. 

You can get away with that in the championship but I think in the premier league defenders will be able to keep him on his right foot. 

Smith did get the best out of him at brentford though so we’ll see. 

I do wonder if he's here as a squad player or as a first teamer. The squad needs depth, our right flank was definitely a weakness towards the end of the season. Adomah was just gone and Andre Green shows flashes here and there but still looks very much like a youth team player. I'm not sure if he just needs to spend some time with the first team at Bodymoor or if going out on loan again would be best. 

Hause has been confirmed in for £3m too. Again, I'm happy with that. He's looked good when he's played but got injured just as Tuanzebe returned to fitness at the end of the season. If we do sign Mings we might end up with two left footed centre halves and some Villa fans seem to have an issue with that. I'm not sure it's a big deal, after all, how many teams play with two right footers in central defence? 

Villa going about a lot of business early. El Ghazi the latest loan to be made permanent, he's played Champions League football before so £8m seems like good business. 

W88 as new sponsors too, they were on Wolves shirts last season. It means I'm not buying the kit again though because I'm not walking around with an advert for a bookies on my chest. Can't complain if the deal is a good one financially I guess but I wish gambling didn't have such a stranglehold on the game, apparently about 60% of the clubs in the top two divisions are sponsored by online bookmakers. 

• Upvote 2

Talking of managers, all signs point to West Brom hiring Slaven Bilic as their new boss.  Only three months after we sacked Darren Moore.  Why it has taken so long I don't know.  Bilic seems fine, I don't have a problem with it.  Would have thought Houghton would have been a better bet, not like we are going to have much money to spend to replace a half depleted squad as all the loans return.

Kept reading in the local paper about the Sheff Utd boss being a contender.  Something about a court case involving the two owners.  Anyone have a better perspective about what on earth is going on at a club that just got promoted?

Haha! Fair examples, but they both went from coaching the reserve teams to managers. Plus slightly different circumstances! I mean examples more along our level.

Woodgate was part of the staff working with the first team for the past two seasons with Pulis and we have been absolutely honking. My own expectations are very very low, hopefully he can exceed them. :lol: Plus he is supposed to be an absolute cock end.

1 hour ago, Moodmon said:

Talking of managers, all signs point to West Brom hiring Slaven Bilic as their new boss.  Only three months after we sacked Darren Moore.  Why it has taken so long I don't know.  Bilic seems fine, I don't have a problem with it.  Would have thought Houghton would have been a better bet, not like we are going to have much money to spend to replace a half depleted squad as all the loans return.

Kept reading in the local paper about the Sheff Utd boss being a contender.  Something about a court case involving the two owners.  Anyone have a better perspective about what on earth is going on at a club that just got promoted?

There was something just after the season ended about them being funded by the Bin Laden family. That might be part of it?

Not sure about that because he's going to need to spend to get anything out of that squad.  And I doubt they'll have much to spend.

If he's able to sort the squad out, he'll be a good appointment.  Big 'if' though...

Also looks like Garry Monk is having a spat with the Blues ownership.  It'd be a massive blow for them if he walks.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Elseb said:

Not going to lie. I'll be absolutely gutted if Monk leaves us. He's done a fantastic job. 

There's an awful lot more to this than meet's the eye I think.

I suspect there has been some friction in place for quite some time due to our owners not giving Monk the whole truth when he joined (think back to his comments in the media about wanting to know where we stand financially if he stays into next season).

He's said he won't quit but should another club come in with a decent severance package I think our current owners would accept and get rid =/ They know they can't sack him after Rowett and knowing that Monk has built up the same sort of rapport so their hope is to get him to quit or to find a club to 'poach' him from us.

Rumours are the Ren has set up his office next door to Monk's at the training ground. So not only is he undermining his transfer dealings he appears to be keeping a watchful eye on Monk's day to day dealings to.

6 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Trimbleee_/status/1139105241473912832?s=20

I see he’s spending his severance pay wisely. 

Might be worth reading some of the comments. Some valid points in there about his mental health. If this is what he's reduced to it might be worth stopping to consider he could be in a serious bout of depression. In a day and age where we should be promoting men's health it might be worth considering.

Yep, his path to oblivion has been well documented in certain circles for a while now. It seems he spurned any outreach from Villa during his stay to the point where Steve Bruce called him out in public about it, claiming it was the first (and only) time he's ever felt the need to go public with a player's personal issues in nearly twenty seasons as a manager. Villa bought out the final year of his contract a couple of weeks ago and his family went public saying the first they heard about this was through social media.  The guy might end up dead in a ditch at some point, it's a terrible shame and I wish he had some better people surrounding him to deal with it, but I'm also glad he's not on the books at my football club any more either. 

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

There's an awful lot more to this than meet's the eye I think.

I suspect there has been some friction in place for quite some time due to our owners not giving Monk the whole truth when he joined (think back to his comments in the media about wanting to know where we stand financially if he stays into next season).

He's said he won't quit but should another club come in with a decent severance package I think our current owners would accept and get rid =/ They know they can't sack him after Rowett and knowing that Monk has built up the same sort of rapport so their hope is to get him to quit or to find a club to 'poach' him from us.

Rumours are the Ren has set up his office next door to Monk's at the training ground. So not only is he undermining his transfer dealings he appears to be keeping a watchful eye on Monk's day to day dealings to.

Bit strange one of our most respected coaches left the club yesterday as well. 

I read yesterday the board are unhappy with our style of football and amount of home wins last season. With our playing squad, we can't play out and out attacking football. We're not good enough for that. It would be the Zola situation all over again.