Luseth

EFL Championship 2018/19 - All aboard the rollercoaster

3 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Oooh, if we are doing Game of Thrones: 

Walder Frey is a member of the Stratford upon Avon Villa supporters club. 

Villa and Leeds wrong en’s confirmed. ;)

• Upvote 1

Not great team news at all for Villa. Grealish out with illness, Mings suspended, Hause still out with the knock he picked up at Hillsborough and Kodjia not even in the squad. It's definitely a makeshift XI today and Bristol City will probably think we are here for the taking. Could really do will Hull getting a result at Boro. 

lHOvreh.png

Well what the hell do I know?  8 wins in a row in a critical part of the season, Blackburn aside I don't think any of them were gimmes. This week has been huge, Wednesday were hugely motivated to beat us, went 1-0 up and had a penalty but we found a way to win. Rotherham were fighting for their lives and in good form themselves, they had a penalty and a red card go for them but we still found a way to win and Bristol City take on a depleted team and somehow we win that too?  I'm so used to crushing disappointment as a Villa fan this really does feel weird. 

VDc1FR1.png

Norwich are up.  Leeds vs Sheffield United will go to the wire.  West Brom have known they are in the playoffs for ages, the final spots are two from four I think. Villa, Bristol City, Derby & Boro all have a good chance. Mathematically I don't think you can rule out anyone down to Swansea in 11th but realistically I think those teams have too much to do. Hull losing to Boro has all but ended their bid.   From a Villa point of view I think we can be locked in within two games if we win both. We've got Bolton away and Millwall at home before we face Leeds and Norwich. I think we send Bolton down if we beat them which I'll genuinely feel bad about but it's another must win... 

• Upvote 2

Was bored of being in the championship anyway. 

It's been more or less a certainty for months now, but still feels like a kick in the guts. I'm hoping that this will be the kick up the arse the club needs, and I have a lot of faith in Lambert to rebuild, but fucking hell - league one. :(

• Empathy 1

What went so badly wrong? Ipswich finished level on points with Norwich and Leeds last season and obviously they've both been amazing this year, Norwich even lost their best player. 

I still like Lambert though. He definitely needs a better agent as he's taken some dodgy jobs over the years. In theory he plays nice football and surely Ipswich will be looking to walk league one next season. 

What went wrong was that we took a gamble on a promising young manager, who sold off our two top goal scorers plus a number others and replaced them with league one and two players, or in the case of some of the strikers, just not at all. Losing Waghorn, Garner and McGoldrick without adequate replacement was a big part of it. The level of change in the squad over the summer was crazy and even though a large chunk of the fans got behind Hurst on account of the brand of football being more attractive than what McCarthy had been serving up, the results were woeful and we were adrift well before Christmas. 

The club were uncharacteristically ruthless in getting shot of Hurst and bringing Lambert in, but we were in complete free fall by then. Lambert has done an awful lot right in terms of getting the fans on board despite the results, but even with the benefit of a January window (albeit with little to spend) the improvement in performances haven't been translated in improvements of results. I think most fans have faith in him to get us straight back up, but there was a bit of a wobble a couple of weeks back when he made noises at a press conf which suggested he might not be here next season. That would be a complete disaster. He's since come out and said that unless the owner sacks him, he's staying, which has settled some nerves, but you've got to wonder where the original wobble came from and whether he's not getting the support from the owner he feels he needs...

• Empathy 2

Think Ipswich got what they deserved. McCarthy was doing well with no budget to work with. But the Ipswich fans always said they'd be happier losing with better football, so suppose they got what they wanted. 

Good week for Leeds. It'd be nice if we could get a few more pints between us and Sheff Utd to take the pressure off. 

4 to go(hopefully)

44 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

It'd be nice if we could get a few more pints between us and Sheff Utd to take the pressure off. 

:lol:

• Upvote 2

On 14/04/2019 at 23:17, kensei said:

Think Ipswich got what they deserved. McCarthy was doing well with no budget to work with. But the Ipswich fans always said they'd be happier losing with better football, so suppose they got what they wanted. 

A couple of things there. Not all town fans wanted McCarhy out, and a fair proportion of those who did also recognised that what he had achieved with no money to spend was amazing. Which leads onto the second thing - if wasn’t just about results or the type of football being played, it was down to a complete breakdown in the relationship between fans and manager. He was an awkward and stubborn bugger towards the end and had developed a weird siege mentality in relation to the fans. Go and watch a the video of his reaction to our goal in his last East Anglian derby - screaming at his own fans to fuck off, and they’d been nothing but behind the team that day. It was weird and sad to watch it all unravel (although a complete picnic in relation to what followed). I liked him a lot, and definitely appreciate what he did for us, but it was completely untenable by the end. 

On a a more positive note, seeing this kind of reaction from the fans immediately after relegation was confirmed and following the worst season in a lifetime makes me proud to follow the club, whether or not we deserve our plight in the eyes of others with a bit more distance from the situation...

• Upvote 2

Bielsa has worked minor miracles getting essentially the same squad from kast year where they are.  But we are going to just miss out and go to the playoffs, and we are fucked in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

I didn’t think for a second we would win today but seeing as Westwood has just been injured in the warm up means a defeat is a certainty. Dawson is wank.

4 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Will Villa keep their good form going into the playoffs?

Villa are on their best run of results since 1909/10. I suspect once playoffs are confirmed, which could be Monday, then the last couple of league games (Leeds and Norwich) will be played at a much lower intensity and with a few of the reserves as we wouldn't want injury or suspension going into the semi finals.  John McGinn, who is definitely going to be player of the year, is sitting on 13 bookings. 15 would see him get a three game ban and miss all of the playoffs.  

The Villa midfield has been excellent in this run, there's been a healthy rotation of four players for three spaces. McGinn, Grealish, Conor Hourihane and Glenn Whelan are all playing well and it looks really balanced. It was assembled on a shoestring too, Grealish is from the youth team, Whelan was a free transfer from Stoke, Hourihane cost £1.5m from Barnsley and McGinn was £2.75m from Hibs. I'm not even sure how much the current team cost us, it's mostly made up of loans and makeweights from other deals and it probably comes in at less than what one Ross McCormack cost us a couple of seasons ago.  

• Upvote 2

A new club record for Villa, ten league wins in a row.  Felt it was very comfortable today even though the score was only 1-0. We missed Tammy Abraham and the Millwall keeper had an excellent game but what a run of form. Haven't dropped a point since February.  

Leeds away next. I suspect we won't win that one, but maybe 75 points is enough for the playoffs. Given our goal difference 76 would be mathematical confirmation. 

2QSV6qF.png

Bristol City can get to 78 if they win all their remaining games. 

Derby can get to 76 if they win all their remaining games. 

Middlesbrough can get to 76 if they win all their remaining games. 

Bristol City and Derby have a game in hand but they also have to play each other so Villa are already going to finish above one or the other on goal difference unless there's a 14 goal swing. 

• Upvote 1

Bristol City were poor today and even though we will miss out on the play offs we have added another wonder strike to our list of great goals this season.

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

A new club record for Villa, ten league wins in a row.  Felt it was very comfortable today even though the score was only 1-0.

Yeah, we were pretty poor today, but it was also one of those games where the gulf in class was very apparent. Millwall get a few of those each season.

BUT! Despite our 1-0 loss, Rotherham went down 3-1 to Birmingham. 

They're still 3 points behind us with two games to play - while we have 3 games remaining and a vastly superior goal difference, so they're going to need to pick up 4 points against West Brom and Middlesbrough. Ouch.
You have to think one more point for Millwall and we're definitely safe.

fee8719c-78ff-496c-b416-72479025f233.png

• Upvote 1