rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
neoELITE

League 1, 2, Non League Football 2018-19 Season

37 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

He would have joined them for personal reasons - he lives on the South Coast and has family sickness to contend with.  

Ah okay.

Did really well for you as manager to be fair. Worth a couple of quid on Havant and Waterlooville next season perhaps. 

Fucking Sunderland lost meaning we've been relegated. Scunthorpe's second goal today was a disgrace. We obviously deserved to go down but it hurts :hmm: League 2 again.

9 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Fucking Sunderland lost meaning we've been relegated. Scunthorpe's second goal today was a disgrace. We obviously deserved to go down but it hurts :hmm: League 2 again.

:ph34r:

10 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Sorry @neoELITE - I really thought you were gonna stay up. That's rough, man. Bounce back next year. New manager, new start.

Yeah, talking of Sunderland, we've got to play them again in the playoffs because fucking Charlton pipped us to 3rd place by ONE goal. Anyway, playoff lottery here we come. Our record is wretched in the playoffs. Not once have we got to a final. Maybe this is our year but considering how Charlton are in such good form, I would make them heavy favourites to get the final promotion spot.

We really blew promotion this year. Top for a long time but fell apart for 8-9 games. Still, it's been a decent season whatever happens in the playoffs.

@Coltrane - only one goal in it.  Are you going to blow the second leg?  sunderland haven't lost many so it'll be tough.

I still think Charlton will go up in the play off final.  They're about to kick off at Doncaster now.  

10 hours ago, neoELITE said:

@Coltrane - only one goal in it.  Are you going to blow the second leg?  sunderland haven't lost many so it'll be tough.

I still think Charlton will go up in the play off final.  They're about to kick off at Doncaster now.  

We didn't exactly play well last night. When Sunderland got reduced to 10 men we didn't get a shot on target after that. Pretty lame!

Not sure about the second leg. We beat them 3-1 in the league at FP but it depends on whether our nerve holds and we actually show up for the next game or not.

We played poorly against Sunderland, very few shots by either team really, only a wonderful stike sealed it.

Hopefully Thursday will be different, I'm not confident really. Hopefully Pitman is ok and will play.

For FUCK'S sakes

A European Commission investigation into the sale of the Ricoh Arena in 2014 is blocking any agreement for Coventry City to return there next season, Sky sources understand.

More to follow...

6 hours ago, wullie said:

For FUCK'S sakes

I'm a Cov fan who has a Tranmere supporting wife. The owners of the two clubs couldn't be further apart in terms of wanting the best for the club. While our owners have refused to even engage with the fans, Mark and Nicola Palios have managed to bring Tranmere closer to the local community even though they lost their league status a few years ago. By working closely with fan groups and through a number of simple initiatives they have managed to get people to care again. When you go to Prenton Park now there is a decent atmosphere again. Compare this to our owners, who have been mainly silent and who seem determined to alienate as many people as possible. They continually manage to score PR own goals every time there is a little ray of sunshine. It does honestly feel like we take one step forward and then two steps back. I do worry if we will still be here at the end of next season if they go with the ground share option again.

• Upvote 1

Poor game from Pompey, didn't really look like scoring apart from a couple of times. 

Some of the fans make me embarrassed to be a football supporter, idiots. 

Sigh. Ho hum. 

Next year...

Maybe I'll support the team where I live now? Oh, I'm in Coventry. 

That was toothless mate. Honestly, it looked like we just ran out of the steam and had nothing left in the tank for the playoffs. Look at Jamal Lowe. Jackett basically admitted that he was worn out. Brett Pitman looked frustrated and annoyed the whole game.

Honestly, Sunderland wanted it more over 2 legs and were better organsed than us.

It's a bit of a frustrating season to be honest. We spent about 1/3 of it top of the table but when it really mattered and we needed to grind out results...we couldn't do it. We went on that 8 match run where we couldn't win which ultimately cost us automatic promotion.

I think we need to assess why we can't sustain good positions as there is enough quality in the squad. But maybe we need a midfielder like Ben Thompson to sign on a permanent basis. Someone who can provide backbone to the team and give them a rocket when they need it. Quality wise, we're really not far off being good enough to go up. 2 players maybe..

On to next season. That's football...as Johann Cruyff probably said once ;)

Kevin Roberts, Chris Holroyd, Nicky Deverdics, Luke Simpson and Kemy Agustien have been released by Wrexham.

I was under the impression Holroyd in particular is one that they would have wanted to keep hold of @Fatsam?

16 hours ago, Butters said:

Kevin Roberts, Chris Holroyd, Nicky Deverdics, Luke Simpson and Kemy Agustien have been released by Wrexham.

I was under the impression Holroyd in particular is one that they would have wanted to keep hold of @Fatsam?

Holroyd had a decent 2017-2018 season, scored a few, but failed to repeat that. At 32 maybe he's now on a downward trajectory and maybe our system didn't fit him particularly well. He certainly struggled to play centrally in a three as his hold up play is rubbish and he never offered the attacking threat others have done from the left and right.  His release wasn't surprising, particularly as we have forwards Fondop, Oswell and Grant contracted.  All three have question marks over them as far as next season goes. The bulk of our defence and midfield are remaining too, so I don't think there will be a massive number of new additions over the summer. 

5 hours ago, Fatsam said:

Holroyd had a decent 2017-2018 season, scored a few, but failed to repeat that. At 32 maybe he's now on a downward trajectory and maybe our system didn't fit him particularly well. He certainly struggled to play centrally in a three as his hold up play is rubbish and he never offered the attacking threat others have done from the left and right.  His release wasn't surprising, particularly as we have forwards Fondop, Oswell and Grant contracted.  All three have question marks over them as far as next season goes. The bulk of our defence and midfield are remaining too, so I don't think there will be a massive number of new additions over the summer. 

Given the season you've had, it's not a big surprise I guess that it's a case more of tweaking and improving what is there than a wholesale clearout.

Keeping the same manager until the end of the season is probably a bigger need!

15 minutes ago, Butters said:

Given the season you've had, it's not a big surprise I guess that it's a case more of tweaking and improving what is there than a wholesale clearout.

Keeping the same manager until the end of the season is probably a bigger need!

Yep, and the awesome news today is that player of the season goalkeeper Rob Lainton has signed for another 2 years. Wrexham will be solid as fuck at the back again. We'll probably only top up the squad with about 5 players I reckon.

• Upvote 1

Tranmere promoted via the play offs yesterday with a 119th minute winner vs Newport.

League 2 next season is going to seem odd as Plymouth Argyle are basically the biggest club in it by a long way. 

Charlton vs Sunderland today. Sunderland are hard to beat (unless you are Southend - grumble) but I think Charlton have the opportunity here as their front three are excellent. Aiden McGeady could win this by himself though. It's going to be a massive crowd.

Charlton win. Sunderland have to go up next season. They can't stay in league 1 for long surely. 

See you next season.

Thanks to everyone for posting and being interested. 

Have a good summer.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Charlton win. Sunderland have to go up next season. They can't stay in league 1 for long surely. 

See you next season.

Thanks to everyone for posting and being interested. 

Have a good summer.

Congrats to Charlton. In the end, the top 3 got promoted in L1 which kind of feels right.

Yes, have a good summer everyone and thanks to all who have posted in the thread. It's been good reading some really interesting takes on the different teams we all support in the lower reaches. 

Here's hoping next season is a successful one for the team you support.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

@El Pibe - so then, what's this Christy Pym fella like - any good?

Very good shot stopper. Kicking is a bit average. He's also quite short. If he was taller I think he'd be playing at a higher level. Shame to see him go and esp. for nothing!

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, El Pibe said:

Very good shot stopper. Kicking is a bit average. He's also quite short. If he was taller I think he'd be playing at a higher level. Shame to see him go and esp. for nothing!

Some of our very best past goalkeepers have been a bit on the short side, so that's encouraging in a way!

Our chairman was very complimentary about your club - I suspect you might see some loan players or something from us.

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

Some of our very best past goalkeepers have been a bit on the short side, so that's encouraging in a way!

Our chairman was very complimentary about your club - I suspect you might see some loan players or something from us.

I think we did well for you with the Tom Nichols fee a few years back!

51 minutes ago, El Pibe said:

I think we did well for you with the Tom Nichols fee a few years back!

Lol there was a player that didn't cover himself in glory with us - never got going at all and we were over the moon to get rid of him. Hopefully this guy works out better!

Wrexham signed Leighton McIntosh today from Airdrieonians.

Like all our forwards in recent seasons, he'll probably struggle to find the net, but who fucking cares when the man enjoys painting pictures of Mario in his spare time.

image.png.2c21307e989f963f87cc812b5dace0fd.png

:omg:

• Upvote 7

Burt's manager has become our manager today. Ryan Lowe. I'll probably start a new thread at the weekend for 2019/20

EDIT Bury's not Burt's. Hey Burt.

Confirmed that Cov will be playing at the Trilion Trophy Stadium in Birmingham next year while London Wasps will play rugby in a football stadium in Coventry with sky blue seats that spell out CCFC. Lovely stuff.

19 hours ago, wullie said:

Confirmed that Cov will be playing at the Trilion Trophy Stadium in Birmingham next year while London Wasps will play rugby in a football stadium in Coventry with sky blue seats that spell out CCFC. Lovely stuff.

St Andrews? 

Yep. Nice in a way to at least have it confirmed and not spend months clinging to the hope that 'no news is good news' is ever accurate.