League 1, 2, Non League Football 2018-19 Season

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

Sorry @Coltrane Pompey won't go up. No idea how we didn't win. If you look at the stats, you were head and shoulders in the game but you really weren't. A weird game where nobody wanted to score.

I don't think we will either. It's like we've forgotten how to play all of a sudden - or at least to the standard that resulted in us leading the table for half the season. The players have no confidence either and that's down to the manager to improve. At the moment he doesn't seem to have a clue though and tries to shut up shop at 1-0 and pray for a win.

You scored against the run of play to be fair. Bogle was OK but Burgess was a disaster. You should have been down to ten men today too. Kicking the ball away taken to another level but the ref bottled it.

It was a good game of football  - fast paced and both sides didn't want to lose.  The first half was cagey and full of mistakes from both sets of players.  We looked better in defence than you did but we cancelled each other out. Second half was much better. The wind didn't help but all in all, I'm happy with a fair point.

Decent crowd - just a shame our grandstand isn't open yet as I think that would have been a 20,000+ crowd if it was.

51746172_10218189766597933_4865583912073560064_n.jpg.01d9e8488864d2c448d2855cd15db814.jpg51558802_10218189766877940_4322597701083463680_n.jpg.5b31c1b0e784721404c9d5a717135215.jpg

• Upvote 1

So our new manager Bryan Hughes appears to be fond of football clichés and responds with answers entirely made up of them.Maybe that's what we or more specifically the players need? He's uncomplicated, but clearly enthusiastic and wants to do well.

He won his first game in charge against a Dagenham and Redbridge who actually were in title winning form over the last 15 games so a tougher test than the previous one against Maidenhead. A familiar looking team in defence and midfield, but with loan player Cole Stockton given a chance up front who was pretty awful. We hit the bar in the first half, but the first 60 minutes was not a great game of football. Then suddenly full back Jennings was getting forward a lot more, space was opening up for the players and Stuart Bevon (for Stockton) and Rutherford came on to exploit that. We were really great for that final 30, Beavon two classes above anyone else on the pitch, at the centre of everything, and scored the goal. We also created 4 brilliant opportunities to extend our lead. Unfortunately these all fell to central midfielder Akil Wright who can't shoot for shit. Bryan Hughes would have scored a hat trick in the same position.

Orient and Salford slipping up making it look as open as it's been all season for the  title.

Yeah Salford lost to bottom club Braintree :lol:

• Upvote 2
19 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

@neoELITE is Joe Mason going back to Plymouth? I think I saw something about that online. 

Always liked him as a player. 

I have no idea. We've offered him a contract and he'll need to agree by yesterday apparently. Our manager has been in the press discussing it which is weird as he never does that - I don't think he's once announced who his transfer targets are before they've signed so it is unusual.  He is local but I can't really imagine we'd be offering more than Charlton are and they've declared their interest. You never know. According to the rumour mill, he has property down here and his family are all based around Plymouth.  There's nothing been announced yet though. I would be surprised. Bolton are also interested but I'm not sure anyone would want to go there right now.

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, Butters said:

I presume Hughes got a good reception from the fans @Fatsam?

Not much of one actually. Might have been clapped and stuff around the dug out, but there was no name chanting as far as I could hear. There wasn't much to cheer about for quite a  while in the game.

To be honest, he's our 4th manager in less than 12 months. The mood around the Racecourse is that we weren't really wanting another change of manager and that we should have got it right before Christmas. There has also been quite a fair bit of criticism of the board from some which has taken the attention away from the actual appointment of Bryan Hughes. So the reaction to his arrival has been more "Okay here comes another one", followed by stuff like "I wonder what he's going to wear on the touch line? Oh he's got  a tracksuit on of course. I wish we had gone for a manger who wears jeans."

• Upvote 1

Sutton Utd 0: Barrow 1

Terrible performance by Sutton.  Barrow played long ball when building from the back but mixed things up on the counter, playing with pace and precision, and the writing was pretty much on the wall all game.  They somehow contrived to miss an open goal and find the post when scoring would be easier, not to mention having a good penalty shout which was deemed a dive before they finally tucked one away very late on.  We had fuck all decent attempts, despite fielding all the strikers (we have signed a young lad from Harrow and have Roarie Deacon - he of the FA cup wonder run 2 seasons ago -  back from Dundee although he looked way off the pace) by the end of the game.  The trouble is, that left no midfield.  No wit, no attempt to play the ball on the ground, simply dreadful.  And Barrow didn't bring their choir this time either.

Next up Barnet at home so we'll see if that challenge will bring about any change in approach or performance.

So we never come back to win games after going a goal down, hardly score any goals away from home, and Akil Wright can't shoot for shit. After a poor sounding first half and going 1-0 down to a (maybe soft) penalty, the first 15 minutes of the second half completely turned those assumptions on their head as we smashed in 3. The Bryan Hughes half time bunch of football clichés clearly dong the trick. Havant and Waterlooville got one back and Lainton, who's been ace all season and after Chris Maxwell has to be the best keeper we've had in over 10 years, saved us right at the very end.

An incredible set of results for us today too with Gateshead the only other side in the top 7 who won.  Terrible result for Salford again losing at home to Dover :lol:, but Leyton Orient also losing at home to Maidenhead was the biggest surprise. It's been a bit of a turbulent few weeks for Wrexham, but if we manage to beat Boreham Wood away on Tuesday we actually go top.

Bloody Hell. 

I'd settle for a draw.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Fatsam said:

So we never come back to win games after going a goal down, hardly score any goals away from home, and Akil Wright can't shoot for shit. After a poor sounding first half and going 1-0 down to a (maybe soft) penalty, the first 15 minutes of the second half completely turned those assumptions on their head as we smashed in 3. The Bryan Hughes half time bunch of football clichés clearly dong the trick. Havant and Waterlooville got one back and Lainton, who's been ace all season and after Chris Maxwell has to be the best keeper we've had in over 10 years, saved us right at the very end.

An incredible set of results for us today too with Gateshead the only other side in the top 7 who won.  Terrible result for Salford again losing at home to Dover :lol:, but Leyton Orient also losing at home to Maidenhead was the biggest surprise. It's been a bit of a turbulent few weeks for Wrexham, but if we manage to beat Boreham Wood away on Tuesday we actually go top.

Bloody Hell. 

I'd settle for a draw.

Excuse my ignorance but looking at the table top goes up automatically but then what happens to 2nd and 3rd? Are there two sets of play offs?

We earned a point away at Bradford yesterday - still looking good considering we were bottom on Xmas day. We're 15th. We play Rochdale at home next Saturday who are below us. I think we'll stay up. 

I'm not sure what happened to Portsmouth yesterday - being 0-3 up at Southend and then conspiring to draw 3-3.  No win in the last 5 games. Barnsley have won 6 from 6 and Sunderland have only won 1 in 5. 

40 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Excuse my ignorance but looking at the table top goes up automatically but then what happens to 2nd and 3rd? Are there two sets of play offs?

Yeah, 4th plays 7th and 5th plays 6th in one off games and the winners then play 2nd and 3rd in one off games to get to Wembley. Highest ranked side is at home in those games.

I'm no fan of playoffs to be honest. The best sides over 46 games should go up and that is it. However, at least this system does give the teams finishing 2nd and 3rd a big advantage. Our home record is excellent, so if we finish in either of those two places I fancy our chances to then progress to the final. Then we all close our eyes and hope for the best.

9 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

A playoff final at Wembley between Salford and FC Fylde would be embarrassing - probably the Vase teams would bring more support!  I still reckon Wrexham will have to finish above Leyton to be promoted automatically.

You do realise that Salford get higher gates than Sutton? 

By my calculations, I think we would have to finish above every other side in the league to be promoted automatically. 

:)

Tollitt double for us in a 2-0 win. Annoyingly we only have him for another month before he returns to Tranmere, just as he has become a huge part of our team. It appears that we are playing a more attacking style under our new manager. One of my mates was chatting with Shaun Pearson on Monday in a jacuzzi and he was expecting Wrexham to concede more and score more between now and the end of the season. Wherever we finish, it looks like we are throwing caution to the wind (to a degree) and going for it. Another long journey up to 7th placed Gateshead on Saturday. Solihull, Orient, and Fylde are all in the FA Trophy quarter final, so win or lose we will still be top for our next home game against Chesterfield a week on Saturday, which should equal a healthy crowd and ace atmosphere.

On the FA Trophy, it's been pointed out that the last side to win the league and the Trophy in the same season was Wycombe in 1993. Those three can't rest all of their first 11 for games and it'll always lead to a bit of fixture congestion, so that could definitely be a big factor in a title race where there's so little between anyone.

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

@Fatsam - nice one. Wrexham are long overdue a return to the league.

But, you have a lot of points to play for. Who in that top 4 has the easiest run in? 

A casual glance suggests that no team has a particularly easy or tricky set of fixtures. As you say, there's a long way to go yet.

The penultimate matchday of the season on Easter Monday looks a big one though with Solihull vs Orient and Salford vs Fylde. 

The bookies have Leyton Orient and Solihull on pretty close odds to win the league, which is about right I'd say. Although personally I'd go for Solihull.. The experience in their squad and battling style of football will definitely see them motoring along picking up plenty of points and recovering from any set backs. I think they'll cope with the pressure a little better too. We've risen to third favourites now, which is probably fair, although Fylde are a strong and capable side and they have league top scorer Danny Rowe. Salford could lose the next 5 games or go unbeaten and win the league. God knows what'll happen there. Their form is terrible at the moment though.

I honestly can’t see a way out of it this time. The owners would rather we went out of existence than drop the legal proceedings, even though they have absolutely no hope of getting any money that way either.

I can’t see Wasps budging from their position and honestly I can’t really blame them (leaving aside the rights and wrongs of them being there in the first place. The whole situation makes Brexit look like a walk in the park. 

I still think some kind of emergency short-term deal will be announced, with the same nonsense coming about whenever that expires too. Don't see the Football League suddenly decide to actually do something about shitty owners for once.

A 93rd minute equaliser from Cole Stockton at Gateshead leaves us all feeling confident and upbeat after racking up a brilliant 7 points from 3 long away games in a row. 1300 miles travelled in 8 days apparently.

And I don't know whether this made the global sporting headlines (it should have),  but ex legendary Wrexham manager of 12 years Brian Flynn was appointed our new assistant this week too. The man who nurtured Bryan Hughes as a young player returning to aid his beginnings in football management. He's ludicrously experienced, he knows the club and is loved at the club, he's got a great relationship with Hughes, and he knows how to achieve success while playing amazing football. It's perfect.

Can't wait for the Chesterfield game next week.

• Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Anyone know why the Fylde - Barnet game in the FA Trophy went to extra time today, but the Stockport - Maidstone one went to a replay? They're the same round.

Apparently it was agreed by both clubs at kick off to decide the outcome on the day, interesting that it's an option (though understandable given the impact of a fixture build up at that level)

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Lost 2-0 away at Sunderland predictably.

Wrexham won and they're still top @Fatsam - 69 points now. It's happening! Solihull Moors are on the TV. 

Yes indeed. One of your lot Luke Young putting an ace cross into the box for our new goal machine Akil Wright to head home after racing into the box unmarked from midfield.

It was a tough game as expected against a fairly in form Chesterfield who did a particularly decent job restricting the space for our attacking players. Zero chance of them going down. Nothing much has changed in the league by the looks of it, but it definitely could next weekend with us away at Leyton Orient (on the tele) and Solihull away at Salford.

The right results in those games and I'll start to really believe it might just be happening possibly.

• Upvote 2

Haven't posted in a while because things had gotten a bit toxic around the club so was just a bit fed up with it all. After being served our fourth winding up petition (this time by our landlord) some fans started to lose their confidence in what the chairman was saying and some minor protests ensued. Rather than accept that things were less than rosy at the club and their communication had been poor (or non existent), they instead seemingly (although this hasn't been confirmed) tried to punish those who had taken part in the protest! I think I'm just about still on board with the chairman, as he has invested a lot in our youth setup which seems to be bearing some fruit, and has made money available to spend on players, but there is definitely a lot of room for improvement.

Anyway back to happening on the pitch, a 2-1 win over Scunny. In truth the first half was one of the worst halves of football I've seen this season, both teams were generally awful. They sat back to try and hit us on the break, and despite a few new attacking options we still don't look like breaking down an organised defence, but they weren't good enough going forward to really cause any problems. Second half we had a 20 minute spell where we did play really well (coinciding with us bringing on our usual right winger and switching the existing one to the left side) . We scored 2 in the 20 minutes, and despite an unnecessarily nervy 5 minutes of injury time where everyone seemed to forget how to play football, it was enough. 2 wins on the trot now, the first time that's happened this season, which pretty much sums it up.

Can't believe how tight the table is  we're only 2 points behind 13th and we're down in 19th!

• Upvote 1

No real complaints here about the 2-2 result Saturday - at least we scored 2 goals at home, which is fairly rare.  Hartlepool were certainly worth their point.  Bonus lack of Monkey hanging banners too.

____

I've had a look at the annual accounts for the year to 31 May 2018 to see what light they shed on the distinct impression given in the programme over the course of this season that the club has either miscalculated budgeted cash flow for the season, or is simply living beyond it's means at this level.  

Unfortunately (for this post), the club is a small company and under those rules need only post a balance sheet and a few notes - no profit and loss account to see how much wages or signing on fee amortisation has been charged (for example).  Actually it may be that signing on fees (if any) are immediately expensed since there is no balance sheet item for these, or any accounting policy regarding their amortisation ( i.e. the write down over the length of the contract).

Anyway, the picture is not encouraging.

At 31 May 2017 we had cash balances of £704k.  This would be after receipt of the massive FA cup and TV payments in Dec-Feb 2017, after paying off the loan to Doswell who had advanced the club monies to install the 4G pitch, and also after any staff or player bonuses either contractually due or gratis, but before signing the majority of new players for the coming season.  In the summer 2017 the club spent £153k on ground improvements.  

The other significant and identifiable  movements in and out over the year were

Loan note £50k receipt

Share issue £149k receipt

Working capital worsening (debtors taking longer to pay) £65k net worse

- > net capital and working capital movements £19k out - more or less balanced

Yet the cash balance at the date of these most recent accounts was  £310k.  The logical deduction is that the business has spent a net £375k on it's trading activity (there may be dividends but I would think these would be minimal).  Apart from the new loan note there appears to be no borrowing so that is a good thing -> no interest.  However net outflows of £375k per annum are surely not sustainable.

And indeed the maths works -  the club lost £372k over the year, being the difference between the profit and loss account reserves at the beginning and end of the year.  Carried forward reserves are only £179k.    

I don't know if there are any other factors to consider - maybe the 2017 cup run inspired more people to renew their season tickets in April 2017 (you get a discount if you do), rather than in April the following season (although the possibility of promotion counters that argument).  2017/2018 was a slightly above average season at this level - we went out in the first round proper of the FAC and the 3rd round of the FAT and we had the one additional home match in the playoffs, so if anything I would have thought we should have come out a little ahead of projections (always assume you are eliminated at the first hurdle basically).  Yet we posted that stonking loss.   It's frustrating that you can't see the profit and loss account to see where the issue may lie.  I suppose player win bonuses could be a significant proportion of their wages at this level.  No idea if back room staff are still volunteers, or are now remunerated.  No idea about signing on fees to players or fees to clubs for players under contract at this level either. We often seem to sign or re-sign players who, according to the programme, had better financial offers.

This season we have had those trips to Scotland and Dublin, an overall similar record in the cups and seem unlikely to make the playoffs.  Not sure how 50p on burgers and the programme will help.  I didn't get the early bird discount for 2017/18 so I'm not sure either how season ticket prices have changed over the two years.

tldnr: club uses FA Cup windfall to improve ground, pay bonuses, repay director loans and to wipe out accumulated revenue losses (a small loss was recorded for the year prior which would have the last one at a lower level).  Club does not seem to have a sustainable cash flow going forward in the National League.  Doubtless this underpins the squad churn we have seen over this season (which is still ongoing).