League 1, 2, Non League Football 2018-19 Season

18 hours ago, wullie said:

Confirmed now. Not sure how to feel about it as he's quite highly-rated but as you say it all but confirms Willis is on his way now. One of the few things I've enjoyed about our recent fortunes is how many academy players we use and he exemplifies that more than anyone

Yeah the amount of academy players we've used in recent years has been great, I think 8 played in the Checkatrade final two years ago.

I hope Willis doesn't get any stick on his way out, he doesn't deserve it. He's had chances a while back to go play Championship and hasn't. I'm not expecting him to but hoping he doesn't get perceived in the same light that some see Maddison in

Unless he does something very drastic he should really get a hero's farewell, especially considering he's stuck with us through relegation and back. He'd be in the Callum Wilson category for me - I almost felt a fatherly pride watching him scored for England, absolutely magic.

3 hours ago, wullie said:

Confirmed now. Not sure how to feel about it as he's quite highly-rated but as you say it all but confirms Willis is on his way now. One of the few things I've enjoyed about our recent fortunes is how many academy players we use and he exemplifies that more than anyone

Knowing nothing about this player other than where he currently plays (so excuse my relative ignorance), if he's coming from Ayr, the standard up there in the top flight isn't generally as good as League 1 and Ayr are second division.  We've signed many players from Scotland (due to Derek Adams' time at Ross County) and I'd argue that only three of those have actually had a positive impact on the squad over the past few seasons and we've signed over ten at least.  We've signed a lot of players from Scottish clubs who essentially made a handful of appearances and disappeared.

Coventry losing McNulty and not replacing him is probably why you aren't in the top six as I genuinely thought that you were better than most of the sides I've seen this season.  You just couldn't score.

Good luck to all the League 1 and under sides in the FA Cup today.  I think Portsmouth have the easiest game today @Coltrane but I can't realy see any of the others besides Doncaster/Oldham being in the next round sadly. 

I can't see Wimbledon progressing as they're in a terrible rut. Gillingham away at Swansea might be a shock but it depends if Gillingham turn up (they're a weird side who can win 5-0 one week and then lose 5-0 the next), Shrewsbury at home to Wolves won't be a push over but if Wolves play a full strength side, they'll be in for a hiding. Doncaster at home to Oldham means at least one of them will definitely get through but I can't see anything but a Portsmouth win today. Barnet are still in it from the non-league and have a derby (kind of) against Brentford on Monday night - I've seen a lot of them this season on the TV on BT Sport and to be honest, I am not that impressed but they've got this far so who knows.

Accrington 0 Derby 0 currently and Stanley aren't playing badly but I think Derby's class will shine through.

Sutton Utd 1: Ebbsfleet 0

Touré had the sort of game only strikers can get away with today - if he gave the ball away once in a promising position, he did so 20 times.  But then, in the last minute of stoppage time, up he pops to score from a corner scramble.  To be honest we didn't "deserve" to win today, but them's the breaks.  Now we have a 2 week break to give the lads a bit of a breather before a double header v Barnet.

• Upvote 2

I'd forgotten Middlesborough were hosting Newport and Newport got a draw - Middlesborough won't enjoy that trip to Rodney Parade in no doubt horrible conditions on a crap pitch. 

Steve Evans, the human dustbin has been sacked by Peterborough and just like John Sheridan at Oldham and Martin Allen, Darren Ferguson is reappointed to take the manager job.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47017015

23 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Good luck to all the League 1 and under sides in the FA Cup today.  I think Portsmouth have the easiest game today @Coltrane but I can't realy see any of the others besides Doncaster/Oldham being in the next round sadly. 

I can't see Wimbledon progressing as they're in a terrible rut. Gillingham away at Swansea might be a shock but it depends if Gillingham turn up (they're a weird side who can win 5-0 one week and then lose 5-0 the next), Shrewsbury at home to Wolves won't be a push over but if Wolves play a full strength side, they'll be in for a hiding. Doncaster at home to Oldham means at least one of them will definitely get through but I can't see anything but a Portsmouth win today. Barnet are still in it from the non-league and have a derby (kind of) against Brentford on Monday night - I've seen a lot of them this season on the TV on BT Sport and to be honest, I am not that impressed but they've got this far so who knows.

Accrington 0 Derby 0 currently and Stanley aren't playing badly but I think Derby's class will shine through.

We've got Luton away on Tuesday so that's probably why we fielded a slightly understrength team. Otherwise we probably should have won the game, although QPR played pretty well and had chances to win it themselves. 

My back bumper nearly completely came off on the M56 and there was double rainbow over the opposite stand at half time, which I will now have to do my best to recreate next home game for luck because we scored an actual goal in 2019 :omg:

Maidenhead were awful and couldn't be any more ineffectual going forward. Wrexham completely dominated possession, as we often do, but confidence is fairly low at the moment so balls in nets are even more of a struggle than usual.  It was a fucking ace performance from Pyke (scored three backheel goals in a row earlier this season and now back properly fit after injury) down the left that drove us to victory. His cross for Young, who also played well when he came on, making the difference. 

1-0

We're one of the few teams playing a league game on Saturday and will go second if we beat Boreham Wood. Stay solid like we can and give the ball to Pyke in that form and we should be alright.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Coltrane said:

We'll be lucky to make the playoffs if this league form continues. Played well in the second half but Luton had too much for us in the end. 3 losses in a row now.

Never fear Coltrane. Two Saturdays away, you play a team that has a habit of providing any team, regardless of league position, who is in a slump or cannot score goals to feel better about themselves and get back to winning ways. We've won four of the last five and were Wycombe'd last weekend but we're still perilously close to being relegated and those four wins were against injury ridden sides and involved huge slices of luck so I don't have much confidence that we'll get a result at Fratton Park.  We've lost 50% of our games this season and our goal difference is -14.  All you need to do is play someone wide right and overload down that side and you'll win easily.

I see you have Doncaster next - they either seem to lose against someone you don't expect them to lose against or they hammer the opposition. 

Looking at the top half, you are having a wobble though. 

Luton's run has been quite phenomenal and they just seem to be grinding out results. They have a good squad though and seem to have cash to burn - they outbid us on the wage offer to Sonny Bradley last Summer and have some good attacking players.  Sunderland have games in hand - three in total and if they get 9 points from those, they'd go joint top but they seem to draw a lot of games (4 out the last 5).  It's going to interesting with 10 games to go at the top end.  

Drew 2-2 with Barnsley on a freezing Tuesday night. If games lasted 65 minutes we would have won this comfortably and deservedly so, unfortunately they don't and their bench (bringing on Keiffer Moore and a couple of pacy mids) vs what we had on ours meant they could change the game and we just tried to hold on even though we'd clearly run out of steam. If you had offered me a draw before the game I would have taken it, but going 2 nil up to draw doesn't feel good.

For all their talk of flowing football, in the second half particularly, Barnsley behaved like thugs and one of their players probably should have been sent off.

Can't really fault the players, they tried their hardest and we just came up short. Gives me some optimism that they haven't thrown in the towel though and are still fighting.

We still desperately need to sign a striker before Thursday night though.

3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Never fear Coltrane. Two Saturdays away, you play a team that has a habit of providing any team, regardless of league position, who is in a slump or cannot score goals to feel better about themselves and get back to winning ways. We've won four of the last five and were Wycombe'd last weekend but we're still perilously close to being relegated and those four wins were against injury ridden sides and involved huge slices of luck so I don't have much confidence that we'll get a result at Fratton Park.  We've lost 50% of our games this season and our goal difference is -14.  All you need to do is play someone wide right and overload down that side and you'll win easily.

I see you have Doncaster next - they either seem to lose against someone you don't expect them to lose against or they hammer the opposition. 

Looking at the top half, you are having a wobble though. 

Luton's run has been quite phenomenal and they just seem to be grinding out results. They have a good squad though and seem to have cash to burn - they outbid us on the wage offer to Sonny Bradley last Summer and have some good attacking players.  Sunderland have games in hand - three in total and if they get 9 points from those, they'd go joint top but they seem to draw a lot of games (4 out the last 5).  It's going to interesting with 10 games to go at the top end.  

Yeah it's a definite wobble. On the plus side, we played well in the second half and the striker we just signed on loan from Cardiff - Omar Bogle - looked impressive when he came on. Scored a decent goal too on his debut. 

We need to get back to winning ways though, for sure, otherwise a wobble can become a slump quite quickly. 

20 hours ago, Coltrane said:

we just signed on loan from Cardiff - Omar Bogle - looked impressive when he came on. Scored a decent goal too on his debut. 

He was at Grimsby before Portsmouth fell into League 2 (I think) so you probably have no real idea who he is and he was an absolute handful for them - like Akinfenwa but better. He should do OK at League 1 level - he's a big, strong hold up player but he's also really quick and great in the air. Whenever we played against Grimsby, he caused us problems. That's a decent loan signing if he is still as good as he was (he should be better seeing that he signed for a Championship side a while ago now).  

Looking at the February fixtures, Sunderland have 6 games in 21 days.  That might do you some good.  

On 30/01/2019 at 17:07, neoELITE said:

He was at Grimsby before Portsmouth fell into League 2 (I think) so you probably have no real idea who he is and he was an absolute handful for them - like Akinfenwa but better. He should do OK at League 1 level - he's a big, strong hold up player but he's also really quick and great in the air. Whenever we played against Grimsby, he caused us problems. That's a decent loan signing if he is still as good as he was (he should be better seeing that he signed for a Championship side a while ago now).  

Looking at the February fixtures, Sunderland have 6 games in 21 days.  That might do you some good.  

I hope it does count in our favour but really we need to start winning matches again.

We've just signed James Vaughan on loan from Wigan. He should do well at L1 level, especially as he's played in the PL for Everton(?) I seem to remember. He also helped Wigan get promotion to the championship last season so he knows what it takes to do well at this level. Hopefully he's a good asset for us.

All a bit bloody close at the bottom... 

Capture.PNG.3fdc71b099c0587b34ed6fce3b005968.PNG

14th to 23rd separated by just six points. Gives me some hope that there are plenty around us to catch though.

Not been back to the rovers since my dad died last year - it seems It was something in my head that we always did together - I've definitely become more of a distant fan now, albeit always pleased to see us chalk up a win. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Rumour is that Graham Barrow is going to leave as Wrexham manager and we've got another one lined up in the rookie mould of our previous two Keates and Ricketts. It certainly seemed like the original intention was to go down that route before we made our number two the number one. Maybe our main target is available now. Appointing Barrow seen as a mistake by people, but mainly by himself maybe? He always said he didn't actually want the job. I know we didn't have a great January, but he's only had 10 games in charge.

A bit of a fuck up to be honest. 

Also, our best player by a mile in the last game Rekeil Pyke was recalled by Huddersfield and sent out on loan to Rochdale instead which is hugely irritating. Came on at the weekend for them.

2 hours ago, Butters said:

Confirmed on the BBC. Will Barrow stay on as a coach then?

He's gone.

And ex player Bryan 'Yosser' Hughes is our new manager. Irrefutably a completely amazing young attacking player for us in the 90s who then went on to bigger things with Birmingham and others, but management material? He's certainly not one I had down as a future successful gaffer. Our board and coach Darlington must have some faith in him though.

Hoping to feel a little bit more reassured when he gives his first press conference tomorrow.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derek-adams-transcript-argyles-rivalry-2519787

YAY

Manager of the Month for our Derek Adams is pretty much a certainty. Ruben Lemerias is likely to get player of the month.  

Our manager always stokes things up against Portsmouth (I think that was more to do with his weird hatred towards Paul Cook though).

CE: Just one other question about Portsmouth. Do you consider it a derby in any way, shape or form? Or is it just a game between two teams with good fanbases?

DA: It’s not up to me to decide if it’s a derby or not. It’s up the supporters to decide if it’s a derby or not.

I see it as a big game. I have been involved against Portsmouth since I came to this football club.

They have been in the same division as us for the last four years. We have been having a rivalry against each other.

It isn't a bloody derby between Plymouth and Portsmouth.  It isn't even close. We both have naval history and ports but it is not a bloody derby.  Torquay United are closer to us than anything other football team - not Bristol, not Portsmouth.  We had a thing with Luton Town many years go where people were referring to it as a derby.  I've driven from Plymouth to Portsmouth before when we went to Peppa Pig Land and it took hours and hours and hours.  It isn't a derby.

3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derek-adams-transcript-argyles-rivalry-2519787

YAY

Manager of the Month for our Derek Adams is pretty much a certainty. Ruben Lemerias is likely to get player of the month.  

Our manager always stokes things up against Portsmouth (I think that was more to do with his weird hatred towards Paul Cook though).

It isn't a bloody derby between Plymouth and Portsmouth.  It isn't even close. We both have naval history and ports but it is not a bloody derby.  Torquay United are closer to us than anything other football team - not Bristol, not Portsmouth.  We had a thing with Luton Town many years go where people were referring to it as a derby.  I've driven from Plymouth to Portsmouth before when we went to Peppa Pig Land and it took hours and hours and hours.  It isn't a derby.

Yeah it's ridiculous referring to it as a derby considering the distance between us. We only really consider Southampton a derby. Some fans like to bang on about how much they hate the "scum" but I can't be arsed with all that silly shit.

Anyway, I think you'll win easily. We couldn't beat an egg right now and haven't won in 5 games in the league. We're going backwards basically. I'd be surprised if we even got a point.

Also, it doesn't help that Jack Whatmough, one of our best centre halves, is out for the season. Plus his replacement Christian Burgess just isn't good enough for League 1. Makes too many mistakes.

21 hours ago, Coltrane said:

Anyway, I think you'll win easily. We couldn't beat an egg right now and haven't won in 5 games in the league. We're going backwards basically. I'd be surprised if we even got a point.

We have a habit of welcoming teams to Home Park who need a win or can't score and they leave with all 3 points. This isn't pessimism as I think we now have a settled side who seem to be playing to a system and things seem to be clicking but we do often fail against teams who are suffering bad form. I remember us being 0-3 down against Barnet once at half time and Barnet had already been relegated. Crewe who hadn't won for something like 20 games came down here once midweek and battered us. Bradford 3-3 this season. Oxford in the FA Cup this season - a team who still haven't won an away league game. The list is pretty long.

I see we've allocated Portsmouth limited tickets and we have home tickets in block 20 (usually the away end). It has almost sold out - our capacity is reduced due to the Grandstand being a shell currently under redevelopment. 

I just hope it's a good game, good atmosphere and I think we'll see goals today.